why bother going to a pet store - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-18-2010, 10:36 AM Thread Starter

why bother going to a pet store

If you're afraid of dog?. A young 10ish year old boy was about to pee in his pants when he spotted Josie. He and his mom was leaving petco. Josie, hubby and I was entering the store. The boy just froze, when she got closer he ran behind the mother . Josie made airplane ears and tails waggin' a mile a minute and the boy was scared pantless lol. She was right next to me in my total control but somehow the boy thought Josie was going to go after him.

However the mother said hello " gorgeous dog!". Trying to re-assure him that she isn't going to bite. She did pet Josie, but the boy wasn't having none of it.

Maybe he does have fearful of dogs in general, who knows, or maybe because she's a German Shepherd. Either way, if you're that terrified of dogs why go to stores like petco?.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-18-2010, 10:53 AM
Elite Member

I agree, I went down an Isle with Max, and when the mom saw us she grabbed the little one put the kid in front of her and turned to the shelves to protect her and her child, as I passed i said "your kidding right?"

Max Von barkstoomuch, T.D.Inc, EPI Survivor, Bloat Survivor
Heidi Von affraidofpeople
Lilah Von cantsitstill

Tester/Observer T.D.INC
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-18-2010, 10:54 AM
The Administrator from the Great White North, eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josiebear View Post
Maybe he does have fearful of dogs in general, who knows, or maybe because she's a German Shepherd. Either way, if you're that terrified of dogs why go to stores like petco?.
Maybe because he was 10 years old and his mother didn't want to leave him alone in the car in the heat?

Maybe because the mother is working on trying to get his son more exposure to different type of dogs?

Maybe because he got bit by a big dog some time ago, and his parents are encouraging him to try and overcome his fear?

Good for Josie to have been such a well behaved dog, and good for the mom for being a good example for the child. Might take a few harmless experiences like yours for this boy to start feeling more comfortable around big dogs, in the meantime, pat yourself on the back for having done such a good job with Josie, and give Josie a hug for being such a good breed ambassador!

Lucia

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2009-2018

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
Rottweiler/Hairy Dog mix?? 2004-2015
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-18-2010, 10:54 AM

I actually just had Baron to Petco last night. lol. I always get mixed reviews. Some people are afraid of the breed and then others can't get over how handsome he is. I actually had two kids that wanted their picture taken with him last night. lol. Then they tried convincing me that their white shep at home has papers...they were like ten and twelve....

Maybe the boy is into reptiles and fish? My brother's girlfriend LOVES snakes and spiders and all the creepy crawlies but was afraid of my female lab/shep mix....I think you can just look at her and know she isn't vicious. lol
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	misc old 352.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	82.3 KB
ID:	2503  

Whoever said you can't buy happiness forgot little puppies!

post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-18-2010, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken k View Post
I agree, I went down an Isle with Max, and when the mom saw us she grabbed the little one put the kid in front of her and turned to the shelves to protect her and her child, as I passed i said "your kidding right?"
hahaha. And this is an example of a mother doing the opposite of a good job not scaring their child....

post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-18-2010, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken k View Post
And times like this we need to show how well trained our dogs are by being able to walk past people who are terrified with our dog in a calm controlled manner. Or better yet when we see someone so scared what harm to pause and let them by with our own body between the dog and them? There is never a need to make a rude remark to someone acting on a fear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerousBeauty View Post
hahaha. And this is an example of a mother doing the opposite of a good job not scaring their child....
Yes, it is sad that some people have such a distrust of our breed. By seeing well-mannered dogs and responsible owners over time they may begin to look on Shepherds in a better light.

TJ aka Theresa A. Jennings
Pyro vom Wildhaus aka Kaleb ~S.T.A.R.~
Family Companion, Non-Profit Mascot, In-Home Service Dog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project (ADAP),
Humane Animal Education & Services (HAES),

Last edited by ILGHAUS; 07-18-2010 at 11:11 AM.
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-18-2010, 12:21 PM
Crowned Member

you forgot the most obvious reason - PetCo sells things for every type of pet.
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-18-2010, 12:27 PM
Elite Member

we try to help people that have fears like that. We were on the toy aisle in Petsmart a few months ago and a young bay about 8 years old, was with his mom, and grandma and was pretty intimidated by dakota. Well I had walk over and I showed him his new tricks, and we did shake and high five. And it seemed to help a little, and then I had dakota lay down and lay on his side. And the little boy was brave enough to come and pet him on the side by his tail.

A lot of kids are easily intimidated by large dogs, and making rude comments like that only make it worse. We should be making an effort to show people how wonderful this dog breed is.

-Kira

Fur Family:
Dakota "Koda" GSD 02/20/2008
Chloe Calico 9/21/2007

"The great pleasure of a dog is that you may make a fool of yourself with him and not only will he not scold you, but he will make a fool of himself too"
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-18-2010, 12:33 PM

I was at a park with Jericho a couple of weeks ago. He was excited but was minding his manners. He greeted everyone nicely who came up to him. There was this little kid probably around 2ish. He came over an Jericho was laying down and the kid came over and sat on him. jericho just licked his leg and let him do what he wanted but the little kid's mother finally, I guess, noticed her son had wandered away. And she sees him with Jericho and flips her lid. Mind you I am standing right there and they had been with each other for a few minutes anyway. If there would have been a problem I could have easily stepped in and got the kid. But they were just sitting there Jericho laying down and the little kid sitting in the grass next to him petting him. Well the mom comes running over and, pretty roughly, grabs the kid by the arm and pulls him away. This scares the kid who starts screaming, which makes Jericho jump and start whining. I make him lay back down and I hear the mother yelling at this little boy telling him "If you go near dogs like that they will eat you." And all kinds of other stuff. All I can do is stand there in utter shock. Why would she say that after the kid had already met the dog and nothing bad had happened. I could see it if it had been a dog that was unattended or was snapping or growling at him. But none of that happened.

I saw them again later on and the mom had this death grip on her son and pulled him past where Jericho and I were sitting and I could see the kid looked terrified. It was sad.
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-18-2010, 12:37 PM

I don't think any responsible dog owner would take their dog into petco if they are aggressive. While that doesn't mean you should just go up to any animal and start petting them I think it would be reasonable to assume they aren't going to run down the aisle and attack.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page