adding a new freind - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-16-2010, 09:04 PM Thread Starter

adding a new freind

How old should your gsd be before introducing a new gsd pup. My dog is almost 10 months old now
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-16-2010, 09:11 PM
Elite Member

We went against the "norm" and added a new pup when our first was only 6 months old.

GSD's Chevy, Shya, & Leilah
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

R.I.P. Bear Bear (Chow) and sweet lil Kenji (GSD)

"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole."
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-16-2010, 09:25 PM Thread Starter

whats the norm? how did it work out?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-16-2010, 09:27 PM

I don't think it always has to do with "how old" but more to do with "how well trained". Anka came home on Argos' 1 year birthday. Cade came home 2 months after Anka's birthday. Argos and Anka were both in a place where they understood the signals that there was work to be done and were capable of ignoring the puppy. That's what I want from my older dog. I want a neutral dog. Also I do a lot of separation between my older dog and puppy. This helps to ensure that the younger dog gets the training and individual time that it needs. If you're planning on putting everyone together most of the time you're better off to wait.

This is Argos with Anka when she can home. You can see that even though she doesn't have much self-control, he is perfectly capable of ignoring her and paying attention to me. This helps because some of his obedience and attitude rubs off.

I think though that if you haven't done much training you are better off to wait. A one year old dog is still very much a puppy and training is by no means complete. Any bad habits that your adolescent has or will develop with maturity CAN rub off on the new pup.

I would say in general for the average pet owner, it is best to wait until maturity on the older dog.

Bianka vom Eisernen Loewen IPO3, CGC, TC 1-3-08
Cade vom Eisernen Loewen IPO1, CGC 3-25-09
D'Artagnan (Tag) vom Eisernen Loewen BH 2-2-10
G Aiko von Burkndeiros SchH 3, IPO3, FH, TC, KKL2 9-17-02 (Retired)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by JKlatsky; 04-16-2010 at 09:29 PM.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-16-2010, 09:29 PM
Elite Member

I think that most situations like this totally depend on your personal readiness.

If you are physically and mentally ready, can provide for another pup financially and time wise, your current dog is doing well on his training then, why not? If your current pup still needs alot of work then maybe wait. My dog will be 9 months old when we bring home our GSD pup at the end of June (provided the litter has what we are looking for), and currently at almost 7 months he's doing awesome on his training so I'm really not worried about doing it myself.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-16-2010, 09:39 PM
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

For me, best to have a 4 to 5 year spread. I get one dog really trained and socialized and have all the necessary time and $$$$$$ to get a 'practically perfect' dog before adding another to the mix.

Pretty much all the responsible breeders agree and won't even sell another puppy to someone with a young dog. Some good info is on

http://www.uvhs.org/behavioral_docs/double_trouble.pdf

Raising 2 pups at one time in a Family Setting

Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus NA NAJ NF

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-16-2010, 09:40 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Judge View Post
whats the norm? how did it work out?
I think JKlatsky summed up why it's best to wait. Everyone thought I was crazy for getting another puppy right away and said to wait at least one year, preferably two years or more. It has worked out very well for us though. They get along great and have always been able to be trained separately. Chevy was in obedience school when we got Shya and I think she learned a lot by his example as well as other training.

GSD's Chevy, Shya, & Leilah

R.I.P. Bear Bear (Chow) and sweet lil Kenji (GSD)

"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole."
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-18-2010, 12:56 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the great info and fantastic pics
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page