how much? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-13-2010, 07:00 PM Thread Starter

how much?

Ok I just got a call from a friend of mine that had to put her dog down because she found out the dog has cancer. She could never afford the treatments. So it has me wondering, if your dog became very very sick and was going to cost upwards of 1,000 plus dollars and meds for the rest of the dogs life and no pet insurance. Is there a price where you say enough is enough?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-13-2010, 07:14 PM

Yes.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-13-2010, 07:14 PM

Can't really put a price on my dogs health, but if it came down to it I would do what I could on my income to keep my dogs quality of life good. Years ago I had spent thousands of dollars, received monetary donations and medication to help keep my Harley girl as healthy as I could for 5 years before I had to put her down at age 7 for Perianal Fistulas. It all depends on ones financial situation, but I would do the best that I could for as long as I could. As long as my babies were living a good quality life.

-Nicole
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Loki Von Hena-C, Sable GSD DOB 8/8/09

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

~*Maya Von Hena-C, Red Sable DOB 3/02, living with my ex*~

~*RIP Hunter Von Hena-C, Black Sable GSD, 10 yrs*~
~*RIP Harley, my 1st GSD, 7 yrs*~
My breeder -
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-13-2010, 07:20 PM
Crowned Member

not a price, no.

one conciders the cost, the prognosis, the quality and quantity of the dog's life, and makes a decision based on all of the factors. they look at the dog's current and past health to try to determine what makes the most sense. sometimes the most loving thing we can do for our pet is to ensure that their journey into what comes after is not filled with fear, pain and suffering.

Odie, Joy-Joy
Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-13-2010, 08:02 PM
Crowned Member

I would spend every drop of money if I had to and if I didn't have enough I would find a way to get more

Lauren

Sinister ~ black male GSD 3.11.09

Remi ~ female Hound mix 10.??.17
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-13-2010, 08:54 PM
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

Quote:
one conciders the cost, the prognosis, the quality and quantity of the dog's life, and makes a decision based on all of the factors. they look at the dog's current and past health to try to determine what makes the most sense. sometimes the most loving thing we can do for our pet is to ensure that their journey into what comes after is not filled with fear, pain and suffering.
For me, it depends.... so I agree with selzer's statement. Age of dog, prognosis and quality of life are huge parts of my decision.

Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus NA NAJ NF

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-13-2010, 10:20 PM
Crowned Member

It would depend on what it was. If it was $5000 for a surgery that would fix him completely then I'd spend it. But if it was $5000 for a surgery that only MIGHT save his life and even then he'd need constant care and would never be able to act like the dog he is, then I wouldn't spend it.

post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-13-2010, 10:41 PM

a price on my dog's quality of life? well kinda yes. I'm not going to bankrupt my family over it. but as far as treatments are concerned, in order for me to pay a large amount of $ it would have to give my dog a full recovery. i dont think i could bare to see her in pain for the rest of her life. if she was going to need meds or be in pain forever i think i'd rather send her to wait for me at the rainbow bridge. but if she could make a full recovery and be in no pain and still have years left on her life I would probbably go for it.

I used to be a member on this forum. But decided to delete my account due to two individuals attacking me needlessly
wanna see why go here
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-14-2010, 12:12 AM
Crowned Member

I'm with Selzer on this - what is it going to do for the dog? So far, I've always managed to find the money. This included - Cancer surgery on a nearly 16 yo. when I was on very very limited funds. (Vet advised against it - he was right - I had to try.) Figuring out how to raise money for a hip replacement (turns out surgons advised against it - wouldn't do it - so the dog lived another 12 - 13 years fine without it). The one I debated was spending additional money (close to 2k) on a 32+ year old horse. (Surgeon was very cautious about this one.) The old dogs had died that year (funding a few vet's progeny's college tuition) and I had a new puppy on the way. Decided to do it anyway. Didn't make a lot of economic sense but then I didn't really want to break in a youngster right then, the horse was a saint with dogs and relatively reliable.
I don't know if I'll be able to do this in the future. I've just been able to do it so far.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-14-2010, 11:46 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by selzer View Post
not a price, no.

Can't think of anything I can add to this.

Gayle, Faith, Ledgie, Scooby
At the Bridge: Andy, Abbey, Tasha, Tex, Echo, Yukon, JR, Too, Niki, Bo, Ringer, Kelly, Honey, Mac, Slider & Bruiser
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page