Dog parks?Or other places to take dogs to? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-12-2010, 10:03 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Dog parks?Or other places to take dogs to?

Hey Everyone!

I have 2 GSDs, we used to take them to a nearby dog park, but Molly,our female GSD, got a kennel cough.=( She is better now, she has been better for a while.I thought taking them to dog park was nice way fro Molly & Tanner to meet other dogs and people.

I live in Lakewood, CA. I was wondering if there were any other dog parks nearby.We know about one in Long Beach, but thats where Molly got her cough.So I was wondering about any other more santitized nicer dog parks.

If anyone can help me with name and places, I would really appriciate it.Thanks in advance!

Jessica

Molly-GSD DOB: 2/19/07
Rainbow Bridge:
Tanner-GSD
Max & Simba- Sheltie Mixes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-13-2010, 04:03 PM
Crowned Member

Kennel cough could have come from a variety of sources, I would not rule out one dog park just because you think she picked it up from there. The vaccinations are not typically very useful for kennel cough, so no park is going to be better than the next in that regard. If the park you've been going to seems to attract more irresponsible pet owners bringing sick dogs in on a regular basis, then certainly look for a better one.

Just like people can contract the flu or a bad cold from various places and people, dogs can occasionally pick up a bug too. You could keep your dog at home, never take him anywhere, and still bring something into the house on your shoes. You can not sanitize a dog park. Requiring all the vaccinations in the world doesn't mean your dog won't be exposed to a variety of things.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-13-2010, 04:56 PM
Banned

i wanted to give you a thumbs up
but the icon won't come up, so thumbs up
on your comment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rerun View Post
Kennel cough could have come from a variety of sources, I would not rule out one dog park just because you think she picked it up from there. The vaccinations are not typically very useful for kennel cough, so no park is going to be better than the next in that regard. If the park you've been going to seems to attract more irresponsible pet owners bringing sick dogs in on a regular basis, then certainly look for a better one.

Just like people can contract the flu or a bad cold from various places and people, dogs can occasionally pick up a bug too. You could keep your dog at home, never take him anywhere, and still bring something into the house on your shoes. You can not sanitize a dog park. Requiring all the vaccinations in the world doesn't mean your dog won't be exposed to a variety of things.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-14-2010, 03:00 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

I dont know if my parents got her the Kennel Cough vaccine...o.O is that required?Well she was quite young, but she is better now thank god.It wasn't as bad as we thought, it was minor.

I see what your saying.I am mostly looking for other dog parks, besides the one we went too.And to see whether or not if its a good idea to take the dogs back to that park.My mom is iffy about it.

Jessica

Rainbow Bridge:
Tanner-GSD
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-14-2010, 03:20 AM

type "lakewood, ca dog park" into google... at least 4 come up that are relatively close to you.

TILDEN: Male: Blk/Red LHGSD: DOB: 12/24/06 60lbs of Love
KEYSTONE: Male: Sable: DOB: 2/11/13 60lbs of Go!!!!!
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-14-2010, 03:27 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

If one of them was in Long Beach near a golf course thats the one Molly got sick at.

Jessica

Rainbow Bridge:
Tanner-GSD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page