Why do puppys cost so much in the US? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 78 (permalink) Old 03-12-2010, 04:02 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Why do puppys cost so much in the US?

Because I don't want to steal the other topic...

I've been wondering a lot lately. How comes that people in the US are willed to pay a ridiculous amount of money for GSD puppies.

I've seen the price range between 1300 and almost 3000 bucks for a puppy.
That is insane. A working line GSD puppy in Germany usually costs between 500 and 1300 Euros. That's less than what you pay in the US.

I have to admit I know nothing about the show lines and can't say anything about their prices, I can only speak for working line.

So why in the world would you pay so much money for a puppy in the US when you could import a puppy from Germany (including the shipping costs) for the same money?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 78 (permalink) Old 03-12-2010, 04:09 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.K View Post
So why in the world would you pay so much money for a puppy in the US when you could import a puppy from Germany (including the shipping costs) for the same money?
Why in the world would I pay the same amount for a puppy from German when they normally offer no warranty?

TAMMY
post #3 of 78 (permalink) Old 03-12-2010, 04:10 PM

tho i can't answer your question - i think part of the issue is that you're comparing working lines to show lines. where the norm for showlines is 1200-2500+, working lines are generally 800-1200 easily... which isnt so far off from your quote of dogs in germany.

TILDEN: Male: Blk/Red LHGSD: DOB: 12/24/06 60lbs of Love
KEYSTONE: Male: Sable: DOB: 2/11/13 60lbs of Go!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 78 (permalink) Old 03-12-2010, 04:11 PM
Crowned Member

Because people want purebred show dogs that are top quality. But then those top quality show dogs will be turned into house pets that go on occassional walks. Sad. I would pay $700 to $1000 for a puppy. No more and no less.

Lauren

Sinister ~ black male GSD 3.11.09

Remi ~ female Hound mix 10.??.17
post #5 of 78 (permalink) Old 03-12-2010, 04:11 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Well... there is warranty, not the same as in the US BUT a reputable breeder will usually reimburse you or give you another puppy if your dog has HD and/or ED.
post #6 of 78 (permalink) Old 03-12-2010, 04:12 PM
Crowned Member

There are some really nice puppies being produced here in the states. Just because a puppy is coming from Germany makes it no better.

The prices for puppies are based on supply and demand just like any other product. when people are no longer willing to pay those prices the prices will fall.

Having said that, please remember that it cost much much more money "normally" to title the parents here in the states than it does in Germany and this needs to be taken into account when considering prices.

TAMMY
post #7 of 78 (permalink) Old 03-12-2010, 04:14 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.K View Post
Well... there is warranty, not the same as in the US BUT a reputable breeder will usually reimburse you or give you another puppy if your dog has HD and/or ED.

IF you don't mind, could you name some of the breeders offering this because when I was in that part of the world (quite a few years ago, mind you) I don't remember anyone offering to do this.

TAMMY
post #8 of 78 (permalink) Old 03-12-2010, 04:15 PM
Crowned Member

I just bought an FCI Dutch Shepherd puppy from Amsterdam. The breed club sets the price at 500 Euros ($680). There aren't a whole lot of FCI registered Dutch Shepherd breeders in the US (mostly working dog mixes), but one that I found charges $1,500 for puppies. I went to Amsterdam and met the dog and its mother, emailed back and forth with the owner of the father. I'm very happy with the puppy and it's the temperment and conformation I was looking for. I don't see any problem with buying from oversees.
post #9 of 78 (permalink) Old 03-12-2010, 04:17 PM
Crowned Member

I would also think that vetting and health clearance costs play a part in that cost too.

I paid $1000.00 for Stark, I have a lifetime genetic health guarentee, both parents are OVC'd for hips and elbows, CKC and AKC registered, microchipped, first shots, titled parents and much more.

I think it cost more in the USA and Canada to run health clearances, to complete vetting and to work/title your dog (travel exspenses, entery fees, club costs, etc..) which brings the price of a puppy up a great amount.

Also, being able to meet the parents, grandparents, previous puppies, aunts and uncles of the puppy you are purchasing in person is priceless. Would I ship a puppy, probably. But if I can get a puppy from someone like my breeder and spend time with them and their dogs, watch them in everyday situations plus on the field, why wouldn't I for the extra couple hundred dollars? Well worth it in my opinion.

G Wild Winds Zephyr of Cognac BH, HIC, NTD, ITD, CGN, TT
Wild Winds Archangel Raphael HIC, TT
XX z Weberhaus
post #10 of 78 (permalink) Old 03-12-2010, 04:17 PM
Crowned Member

I'm a firm believer in the saying "you get what you pay for".

You want a top quality dog with a sound temperment from a great pedigree than you're probably going to have to pay the price for that puppy.

If you want to go the cheap way and save some money by finding puppies for sale on craigslist for $200 than you're probably going to get what you pay for. A dog with health and temperment problems.

Obviously this isn't the case 100% of the time. A $3k dog can have just as many problems/issues as a dog from a BYB or a puppy mill, but i think by paying more and doing your research to find the best possible breeder out there for your needs and what you're looking for, the money can be well worth it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page