making a dog run ?? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 48 (permalink) Old 03-11-2010, 07:29 PM Thread Starter

making a dog run ??

you already read my about me thinking of getting a dog. i was looking in my back yard and was told i could make a dog run back there in this space we have .. i took a rough measurement and the width would be about 5'6" and the lengh would be about 24- 28 ft long ... would that be good enough for a german shepard .... the dog would be there when im in school or work besides that it would be with me out of it when im home... i would also put a dog house in it maybe make one or put a dogloo in it .,,,,

any suggestions .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 48 (permalink) Old 03-11-2010, 07:54 PM

your going to have a mud pit. unless you get a bunch of chat. then he/she'll poop on the chat and you'll either have to pick it up or do something along those lines. it's up to you but there will be issues. i'm assuming it's a rental.

I used to be a member on this forum. But decided to delete my account due to two individuals attacking me needlessly
wanna see why go here
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 48 (permalink) Old 03-11-2010, 08:04 PM Thread Starter

its not a rental and what is chat....? i was goona put grass and bark in it probobly ....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 48 (permalink) Old 03-11-2010, 09:52 PM
Crowned Member

It would be decent for exercise occasionally, but why not keep him/her inside when you're gone? I hate hearing of dogs left outside, no matter the climate or conditions. They always get forgotten about.
post #5 of 48 (permalink) Old 03-11-2010, 10:01 PM
Crowned Member

Grass won't last a day. If you can afford it use concrete with a slope of at least 10 degrees. It is the cleaner surface for a dog run and prevents digging also. Bark can work as soon as the dog do not eat it, but will smash in time and you will take some of it everytime you clean the run, so you have to be prepared to refill form time to time.

I'm planning to build runs this year too, but I'm not sure if I'm going to use concrete (against my own advice) because I plan to buy a piece of land next to my house and later I would like to move the kennels there.

Diabla Boroluz, my Daemon; IPO-A1, RH-T A
Akela de Poputchik, my Direwolf; IPO-2, Kkl1
Calais vom Adler Stein; IPO-A1, Kkl1
post #6 of 48 (permalink) Old 03-11-2010, 10:45 PM

Making a dog run? thats easy throw a ball. LOL sorry couldnt resist.
post #7 of 48 (permalink) Old 03-11-2010, 10:57 PM
Elite Member

Send a message via AIM to Doubleminttwin
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJEtzel View Post
It would be decent for exercise occasionally, but why not keep him/her inside when you're gone? I hate hearing of dogs left outside, no matter the climate or conditions. They always get forgotten about.

Thats not always the case. Baya has an outdoor kennel that she goes in on nice days when we have class. She always comes in when we are home though and never stays out too long. And I have to say she LOVES it, when its bad she goes in her crate and thats not bad but she loves when she gets to get outside and stretch. SHe is always less hyper and anxious when we leave her outside.

I would try using somthing other than grass because they do dig, but it helps if they ahve lots of mental stimulation while in it. I did hear you could use horse stall matts and that they work relatively well. We were thinking about doing that but figured it wasn't worth it because she was never out there long enough to bother. Also we have a lock for ours just in case, there are so many idiots out there

*~Jen~*
“Be Who You Are and Say What You Feel Because Those Who Mind Don't Matter and Those Who Matter Don't Mind.” Dr. Seuss

Baya 6/29/09

Ask me about: Leopard Geckos
post #8 of 48 (permalink) Old 03-11-2010, 11:02 PM
Crowned Member

Buncher Alert: North-Central MN/WI
Google it. I wouldn't feel comfortable leaving a dog out, I know people do but some info to consider as you think about it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #9 of 48 (permalink) Old 03-12-2010, 12:54 AM
Crowned Member

I think a dog run is a great thing and every dog should have one, but it really does depend on your neighborhood how safe your dog will be in there.

If I had to do it over, all of my dogs would have a doggy door from their outdoor run to an area inside. The dog doors I currently have I use x-pens on the inside and it works great. They have a 4x4 area inside (x-pen hooked to the wall with self-tapping eylets and clips.) And a ten by 20 foot kennel outside.

Dog runs depend on where you are located. If you are located where there is considerable snow, you might consider having your gate 1' above the ground level. It would mean stepping in and out of your kennel, BUT you will not need an ice breaker and build your muscles up shoveling and pounding away the ice just to get the kennel gate open.

One of my kennels, due to its location opens in ONLY. This is a HUGE mistake in the snow belt. Sometimes it is extremely difficult to squeeze in there to break up the snow to get the gate open. The dogs pack it down somewhat, but it is difficult.

DO NOT BELIEVE YOUR CONTRACTOR ABOUT SLOPE. They are full of doo doo. What ever your contractor says, double it at least. Otherwise you will have pools of water lying in your kennel.

If money was no object, roofing the kennel would be nice. But in any case, you should put a lighter gage wire across the top of the kennel to prevent a climber from escaping. Also the dog house could be a stepping stool to the outer world if the kennel is not covered over. But I believe having a dog house is essential if the run does not have access to the house. If the run DOES have access to the house, the fencing should be on the house side as well, otherwise a chewer could chew the siding off the house.

I suggest a concrete base. It eliminates any thought of digging out. Generally it is easy to hose down and maintain. If I had to do mine over again, I might have built up the sides with concrete blocks for a few feet as well. I use 9 gage wire for the gate and the fencing.

If you are 5'7 or taller, the roofed over 6' kennel will be a pain in the winter when you forget your are walking on eight inches of snow and crack your head on the two by four running across the top of the run.

Good luck making a nice run. I think mine are good. They are fences around as well, just in case I am stupid with a latch, they will still be inside a fenced area. I will look for a picture.

Notice how I did not fence the house side and the dogs went to town on my siding:

Comfort is a biggy, notice the water bucket in the bucket holder -- with these I have NEVER come home to a dog who spilled their water and were without. Also cots to give them a place to rest off the concrete, and my dog house's floor is elevated from the ground and I have a dog shelter in there, this one has a lawn chair -- well, they do like them. (spoiled)

This one shows some of the use of tarps and the dog shelter:

Ordinary tarps can be put along the side of a kennel to provide shade, but not across the top, or it will collapse the kennel if a major rain fall happens. I use sun screens on the top of the kennels which effectively lower the temperature inside.

ETA: the last two photos are one kennel -- two different views. The dog shelter is 8' long by 4' wide, and tall enough for the dog houses to be inside, and the dogs leap on top of them and lie on them.

Odie, Joy-Joy
Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.

Last edited by selzer; 03-12-2010 at 12:58 AM.
post #10 of 48 (permalink) Old 03-12-2010, 03:56 PM

Send a message via AIM to Vault_101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubleminttwin View Post
Thats not always the case. Baya has an outdoor kennel that she goes in on nice days when we have class. She always comes in when we are home though and never stays out too long. And I have to say she LOVES it, when its bad she goes in her crate and thats not bad but she loves when she gets to get outside and stretch. SHe is always less hyper and anxious when we leave her outside.

I would try using somthing other than grass because they do dig, but it helps if they ahve lots of mental stimulation while in it. I did hear you could use horse stall matts and that they work relatively well. We were thinking about doing that but figured it wasn't worth it because she was never out there long enough to bother. Also we have a lock for ours just in case, there are so many idiots out there

Im assuming you're referring to the rubber horse stall mats. I wouldn't reccomend these for a couple of reasons, primarily cost ($$$$!!!) and maintenance. We laid some of the rubber mats in the boss' horse stalls and within a week urine alone had gotten inbetween the seams and caused bad washout and potholes underneath the mats not to mention the horrible smell. The washout can cause you or maybe the dog to trip on uneven mats or possibly trip on a pothole that didn't seem to be there until you stepped on the mat.

Basically just to get the mats to sit right the ground underneath has to be perfectly clean and 100% smooth. They would work great if they were laying on top of concrete but then why not just use concrete alone? easier to clean and less money to spend.

As others stated I think concrete would be the best bet, no digging, no mud, easier to clean and it stays pretty cool in the shade plus it keeps their nails from getting too long.

Goodluck!

Bear- Blue Heeler born 2/14/09
Rex- GSD born 07/01/09
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page