Creating a Reg. name - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-10-2010, 01:57 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Creating a Reg. name

When registering a GSD through AKC - is it considered politically correct to utilize part of the name of the pups lineage?

Like if the grand sire is FIDO VOM WIGGLEBUTT, could I name my pup ROVER VOM WIGGLEBUTT if I don't have direct permission to do so?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-10-2010, 02:23 PM
Administrator & Alpha Bitch of the Wild Bunch

Yes, it would be considered very poor form to do so.

The kennel name denotes who bred the dog, and if the pup didn't come from that specific kennel it is considered untruthful and unethical to use that kennel name, as it implies the pup did come from that kennel.

This is a pretty common question and mistake often made as people often consider a kennel name like a last name/surname for people, but it's not intended to be used that way.

If you like the vom Wigglebutt type format for a registered name, and your pup's breeder doesn't have a kennel name that he/she wants the pup registered with, you can always make up one using your last name, favorite place, street you live on, city you grew up in, whatever you want so long as it isn't an existing kennel name already in use.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-10-2010, 02:28 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

I know when registering horses you can use part of the sire / dam's name when you register your horse.

Whew, glad I asked. Back to the drawing board.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-10-2010, 02:40 PM
Master Member

Wiefelspuetz was my grandmother's maiden name, straight out of Germany. It's the only uncommon German name I knew. Not sure she would be pleased to know a dog carried on her family name. My kennel was a byb, didn't know better, and would not want to give them homage anyway!

-Kevin-
Roll Tide!
Free food and care to rescues just takes one click a day

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Bearclaw Von Wiefelspuetz (Bear) - GSD 06-27-09
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page