When do you use your crate? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-10-2010, 12:50 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

When do you use your crate?

Timber has been crated since we got him at 13 weeks....however, he has never slept in the crate at night.
He has a spot next to my side of the bed.

And at almost 9 months, he is still crated during the work day.
On weekends, if we have a short errand, he stays out and is fine.
Don't get me wrong...he takes well to his crate. He will even open the door himself to get in a take a nap

My question is....I think I could utilize the crate at other times, but I feel bad putting him in there.
For example....he can be a pain in the butt when I am putting the kids to bed. He has to be on top of me at all times, which makes it hard to quickly move from one room to another settling them into beds. They inevitably ask for a drink which means bedroom to kitchen and back again....all with a 75 pound dog weaving in between my legs!

When and how often do you use your crate? Do you often provide a toy such as a stuffed kong to make it enjoyable?

Weiss Timberwolf von Sangmeister - born 06/10/09
Roxy the Rockstar Kardashian - born 09/02/10
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-10-2010, 12:55 PM
Crowned Member

I always put toys in Frag's crate or expen, and we use it whenever we need some time. He's in it when we're gone and during the night, and also if we have a lot of people over and he's wound up, or after a bath to dry off. Sometimes we also put him in there for a minute if we're packing up the van, etc and can't keep track of him.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-10-2010, 12:56 PM
Crowned Member

I see no problem is putting a dog in their crate to give YOU some peace and quiet.

My guys go in their crates at night and if we are going to be gone for more than an hour or so.

Sasha goes in her crate ANYTIME we leave the house as she has shown herself to be untrustworthy. Mauser goes in if we are going to be gone for more than 15 minutes or so - ever since we left him out and he tore up the kitchen floor!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-10-2010, 01:00 PM
Crowned Member

When I leave Sinister goes into his crate. We have the largest crate we could find that was plastic. It was made for Great Danes. We give him a "busy bone" or something that can withstand his chewing and keep him busy for a little while. He used to be able to sleep wherever he wanted to but all of a sudden he felt that he hated the way the carpet looked and decided to do some redecorating of his own and ripped it up : ) so sadly he sleeps in his kennel next to my bed. I am probably going to get hardwood flooring in my room so he can sleep wherever he wants again
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-10-2010, 01:10 PM
Master Member

When we leave the house or while we sleep, Bear is crated. We're still worried what we'll wake up to if he's left out at night. The crate has never been an issue with him. We got his the same day we brought him home. When we're at home, it's left open and when he naps, if he's not at our feet or by the door, he'll go in his crate and lay down. When I take out the trash, he gets crated because he thinks the bag is a pinata and will shred it before I can get it out the door. Silly dog, gotta luv 'em!

-Kevin-
Roll Tide!
Free food and care to rescues just takes one click a day

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Bearclaw Von Wiefelspuetz (Bear) - GSD 06-27-09
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-10-2010, 01:32 PM

Izaac will be one year old this month, and I crate him when I leave the house, or have projects that I'm doing and don't want him involved with. I have tried to just leave him in the kitchen with the baby gates up, but he "counter surfs" and always gets himself in trouble. I think that it's good that we both have our "own space" at times, and I know that it's much safer for him.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-10-2010, 02:03 PM
Elite Member

We've been using the crate with Sigurd since we got him at 8 weeks. He goes in while we're away from the home more than 10-20 minutes. He also goes in the cage if we have company coming over, we usually leave him in there until the company is settled. We also crate him while we eat (unfortunately, he likes to stare at us hoping we'll give him some). When we first got him, we crated him for about 3 weeks at night time. Now he sleeps on the bed beside me, or on the floor beside me (on his dog bed).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-10-2010, 03:47 PM
Crowned Member

Chrono goes in his crate at night, when I leave the house, or when I'm eating. Or any time he's being annoying, heh. I don't give him any toys because he won't play with them in his crate.

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-10-2010, 04:35 PM

My pup sleeps in her crate at night. I also use it when I'm cooking or cleaning so there won't be any accidents. She has toys in her crate, but always settles down immediately and naps.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-10-2010, 04:40 PM

Ecco typically sleeps in her crate. She stays outside on the days I am on shift till the rest of the fam. gets home. The crate is really just used for sleeping and longer than 5 mile travel. Occasionally she will be put in her crate during the day if I have to run to the store and the weather is crapy so that I don't have to clean her feet when she gets in. She is not allowed to free roam the house when no one is here. Sometimes if the door is open and she wants to nap she will go in there and lay down on her own.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page