Movement and Gaits question - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-09-2010, 06:25 PM Thread Starter

Movement and Gaits question

I'm looking for some input on movement/gaits for younger dogs Mine is 10mo old and seems to not have figured out his gaits very well to date. It seems he goes from a walk to an occasionally awkward canter, often cross firing leads until he figures things out. He seldom trots nicely along as my other GSD's have, but it's been many years since I have had a dog this young so I don't remember their movement. He basically moves like a giant lump of spaghetti.

I had his hips x-rayed 2 weeks ago, both hips are fine. He's much larger than any of my other GSD's as well, so I though maybe he's just more gangly at this age. Our 3yo Rottie had an air cast on for 2 weeks at 11 months because he was such a noodle and strained a ligament.

Has anyone else experienced this with a young dog? When did they figure it all out?

Jago - Bi-Color GSD 5/14/2009
Cyrus - Rottweiler 8/22/2006
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-09-2010, 09:49 PM
Banned

One thing to consider is how do his parents move? Have you or can you look at his parents. I suspect he will probably look a lot like one or both of them. And keep in mind that puppies often do take a long time to reach their potential and the bigger they are the longer they will take to mature.

Is he out of conformation show dog lines?
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-09-2010, 11:14 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by codmaster View Post
One thing to consider is how do his parents move? Have you or can you look at his parents. I suspect he will probably look a lot like one or both of them. And keep in mind that puppies often do take a long time to reach their potential and the bigger they are the longer they will take to mature.

Is he out of conformation show dog lines?
I was wondering if the bigger they are the longer they take to mature. He is actually from working dog lines, his father was a working police K9, but died about a year ago so all I have are a few pictures. Frozen semen was used for this litter. I have seen the mom, a very large bone Czech bitch. I will try to see her again, but it's a bit of a drive.

Jago - Bi-Color GSD 5/14/2009
Cyrus - Rottweiler 8/22/2006
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page