Looking for Info - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-07-2010, 10:27 PM Thread Starter
EFG

Looking for Info

Not sure this is the right forum but my family and I are moving to Kansas. We have three dogs (White German Shepherd, Husky-Shepherd mix and a Heinz57). I am hoping there are some people on this board who are living in the Kansas City, Shawnee, Olathe, Overland Park area. We are looking for a house to rent. Is there by any chance somebody on here who knows of a place we could rent in those areas that welcome dogs as well? I know it's a long shot but wanted to try. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-08-2010, 11:13 AM
Crowned Member

I am not in your area but I have plenty of experience moving with two large dogs (a Shepherd and a Malinois) and two cats - so housing is difficult to come by for us, too.

Two things we've had good results with:

(1) Go to a Realtor that does both rentals and sales. Most do. Ask them if they have any homes rentals available that would allow your pets, or whether they know of anyone who does. When we moved to northern VA with one dog and two cats, this is how we found a GSD-friendly apartment.

(2) Post a "Housing Wanted" ad on Craig's List, telling people exactly what it is you are looking for. Make sure to include information about your dogs - titles, if they have any, that they're UTD on all shots, etc. It helps if you can say positive things, like your dogs have obedience titles, CGC, anything like that. Be willing to provide references for the dogs - trainer, vet, current landlord. Carry renter's insurance. This is how we found the last place we lived and that's also how we found the place we are currently living in upstate New York.

Malinois Ronja - fastest K-9 in VT
=^^= Finn, Ratchet & Ollie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-08-2010, 11:19 AM
Crowned Member

I've found most of my rentals (homes/duplexes) via college housing boards. If there are any colleges in the town you are moving, see if they have an online board where people post rentals (or if it's password protected, if you know anyone that can login and copy the info for you). I work for a college so this is always where I look first and usually don't have to look any farther. Typically the people that post are actual owners, not big property management companies or agents, and the owners are easier to convince about pets. Most places I've lived said "no pets" but I was able to convince the owners by offering a larger deposit. I also do CGCs at the absolute bare minimum with all my dogs so the amount of training they have helps. The landlord understands that if I'm spending several nights a week at the dog training club, I'm not the type to chain my dogs under the tree and let them trample and poop all over the yard.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-08-2010, 03:46 PM Thread Starter
EFG

Chris and Lies. Appreciate it!! Never thought of contacting a Realtor. I will do that and also check the college boards. Thanks again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page