proof of vaccinations - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-06-2010, 09:07 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to Vault_101
proof of vaccinations

With the last dog I had, my vet was pretty honest and cool and told me how much money could be saved by giving my dog's vaccinations myself and showed me how simple it is.

Anywho fast forward with our two dogs now we opted to go this route since it was going to be $75 per dog x 4 within a short period vs $10 per dog x 4

My question is if I choose to get into any training classes am I screwed when it comes to proof of vaccinations? I honestly didn't even think about that when they got their shots so now Im curious if im gonna have to wait until it's time for a booster and then take them to a vet, or if a vet can run a test and give me proof of vaccinations.

They've gone to the vet for their rabies shot but I assume trainers want full proof of all vaccinations correct?

I don't mean to sound like a jerk but Im not looking to get a "if you couldn't afford $75 per dog x 4 then you shouldn't own the dog" Fact of the matter is they got the vaccine, the same vaccine but instead of paying the vet all the money I was able to spend the money saved on high quality food and toys and advantix and much more.

Bear- Blue Heeler born 2/14/09
Rex- GSD born 07/01/09
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-06-2010, 09:10 PM
Crowned Member

When you buy the vaccine you simply keep the label, I think most have a pull-off type tab. You can simply make a chart for each dog with the date, lot number, and whatever information is relevant.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-06-2010, 09:34 PM
Master Member

I give my dog's their own shots too, and you just have to do what Dainerra said to do, and that is usually goood enough.

Kelly S
Boeselager German Shepherds

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-06-2010, 11:05 PM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dainerra View Post
When you buy the vaccine you simply keep the label, I think most have a pull-off type tab. You can simply make a chart for each dog with the date, lot number, and whatever information is relevant.
Has anyone tried crossing a border, eg, US/Canada, US/Mexico, with a do-it-yourself vaccination record. I would think that it would be pretty risky since those customs people are pretty strict.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-06-2010, 11:12 PM
Crowned Member

it's completely legal to do all vaccinations except rabies. That is the only vaccine required by law in the US. I guess it would depend on the laws of the country you were entering? Is a very good question though.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-07-2010, 12:16 AM
Crowned Member

As far as border crossings go, I don't know about other countries but for US/Canada IIRC all they require is a rabies certificate (from a vet) so it doesn't matter if you do the other vaccinations at home. Some borders may require a health certificate from a vet as well, so you would need that too. I'd assume if they did require other vaccinations they would probably want a vet certificate for those as well.

As others said, the vaccine should have a label you can peel off and stick into their records. I would recommend getting one of the dog health record booklets and keeping the vaccine labels in there along with the dates and type of vaccinations.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jubal/Tesla (Beauceron) 3/14/14
Bianca HIC CGC TT (GSD) 4/24/04-10/23/12
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-07-2010, 12:36 AM
Crowned Member

For Therapy Dog International, it can be filled out by your veterinarian OR you can do as the others have said and provide a list with the labels. (Keep a copy.) I would imagine that if it is good enough for dogs working in hospitals, it should be good enough for the boarder, but I would not leave anything to chance. Some countries are pretty strict about traveling with the dogs and quarentines, that most people leave them home or do not go to those countries.

Odie, Joy-Joy
Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-07-2010, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vault_101 View Post

My question is if I choose to get into any training classes am I screwed when it comes to proof of vaccinations? I honestly didn't even think about that when they got their shots so now Im curious if im gonna have to wait until it's time for a booster and then take them to a vet, or if a vet can run a test and give me proof of vaccinations.
Leerburg | Basic Dog Obedience

I believe in this philosophy. In my humble opinion dog training classes are for beginning handlers (anyone who never trained a dog before) to help them get the idea behind training. otherwise if you get the concept then you should probbably train yourself. You'll get a much more loyal dog. plus there are better ways to socialize your dog.

I used to be a member on this forum. But decided to delete my account due to two individuals attacking me needlessly
wanna see why go here
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-07-2010, 01:24 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOSHUA SAMPSON View Post
Leerburg | Basic Dog Obedience

I believe in this philosophy. In my humble opinion dog training classes are for beginning handlers (anyone who never trained a dog before) to help them get the idea behind training. otherwise if you get the concept then you should probbably train yourself. You'll get a much more loyal dog. plus there are better ways to socialize your dog.
I don't agree... Even though I have trained many dogs myself, I still go to classes. Dog training classes are very useful for providing distractions, working on training in a controlled but 'public' environment (outside the home), and also having another trainer watching can help because they'll notice things you may miss. I also find them useful as there is a set goal each week and it keeps me working more diligently to meet those goals for the next class.
Socialization classes provide a unique opportunity as well to socialize with other dogs you know are friendly and healthy (especially important with puppies).

I'm not sure why you think a dog would be less loyal if they were trained in a class?

Jubal/Tesla (Beauceron) 3/14/14
Bianca HIC CGC TT (GSD) 4/24/04-10/23/12
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-07-2010, 01:31 AM
Crowned Member

I agree with you Chicago. I always take my dogs to classes. I do my training on my own and my proofing in classes.

On the vaccine issue, I have never even been asked to show any proof of vaccine even rabies crossing the border into Canada, but always keep a health record with me for my dogs. I do that no matter where I travel. I have a clear pouch (school pencil cases work well)for each dog with a health record, picture, and copy of registration papers. This is just in case they are taken or get lost.

Kathy

URO3,UCD Aleshanee Windridge "Kayos" CD,TDX,RE,CGC,HIC,TC
PTE,AG2,AN,URO3,UCD Xtra!Xtra! V TeMar "Havoc" CDX,GN,RE,CGC,HIC,TC,BH
UACH,URO1 Tidmores Rising Star Lydia "Mayhem" CD,BN,AX,OAJ,NF,RE,HT,TC,CGC,

Bridge
Lucky, Wolf, Max
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page