Dog senses earthquake - video - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-12-2010, 12:03 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Dog senses earthquake - video

Watch the video. You'll see the dog laying there, then he seems to look at the ground for a second and then BOLTS. A few seconds later the earthquake starts.

I wonder if there is some sort of precursor to an earthquake, a subtle vibration that we humans can't detect but other animals can?

http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/bes...quake.shot.cnn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-12-2010, 12:14 PM
Knighted Member

Re: Dog senses earthquake - video

I hope to never have another earthquake here(I know...I'm dreaming!) I think it would be devastating to Zisso because he does not have the best nerves.

The last time I remember a big one here, I had my previous dog in her run outside and I was not home. The quake knocked out/overloaded the phone system so I could not even call to get someone to check on her. I felt so quilty for not being there for her. Turned out she was fine, but still, she was out there alone, locked up, and had no one there to comfort her.

Nadia - GSD -DOB 12-29-07
Zisso - GSD- DOB 9-16-07
Pepe & Kiki`my sweet kitties

Zisso is my heart~Nadia is my Love~My kitties bring me everything in between~Together they bring me Joy!
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-12-2010, 12:20 PM
Master Member

I've heard a lot of theories on how animals may be able to sense earthquakes, ranging from detecting electrical changes in the air, to feeling the vibrations that we can't feel, to being able to detect the foreshocks that precede an earthquake.

I don't think it's only limited to dogs either. When my mom was a little girl, her parents kept birds in their apartment. In the hours preceding a major earthquake, those birds would not stop squawking and making a racket, to the point where her family had to put a sheet over their cage to try to get them to quiet down, which of course, didn't work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-13-2010, 05:59 PM
Crowned Member

My dogs nearly always wake up (or look alarmed) before we had earthquakes.

Actually, I didn't even realize that it was a topic of discussion. I thought all dogs did. In fact, there have been a couple of times that I woke up in the middle of the night for what seems to have been no good reason; then the house started to shake. I figured it was because I am, as a friend of mine says, as a compliment, part dog....?
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-15-2010, 02:41 AM
Elite Member

wow, that is interesting, I wonder? I had a bird, cockateil, once that was sitting on his perch next to my bed in CA and all of a sudden he just said "uh ohhhh" (I had trained him to say that and a bunch of other things) but he kept saying "Uh ohhhh" over and over which was unusual for him and then a minute or so later we had a 7. earthquake!

~Lisa

Maya, my little human, 15 years old
Tala, White GSD born Feb 28 2019
Lulu, Black GSD,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
R.I.P. went to the Rainbow Bridge May, 2018
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-15-2010, 02:46 AM
Elite Member

My Samurai sensed a tornado once. That was quite a thrill wondering why he got up out of a deep sleep to run around like a kidney bean barking his head off.

-Erich

Jove vom Denali - HOT

Waiting at the Bridge: Samurai and Beausox
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page