Filling out? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-11-2010, 11:03 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Filling out?

I thought that it would never happen. Grimm is my first dog I've gotten as a puppy. He's always been slab-slided, somewhat narrow-chested when standing, and had always had a sharp ridge of a "keel"-- the place on the thorax midline where the ribs meet.

Well, I was grooming Grimm the other night and noticed something. His "keel" is getting a wee bit broader, flatter, a bit wider.

I believe his head has gotten just a tiny bit wider in the last few months. Thought I'd maybe imagined it.

His choke collar isn't as hugely loose as it was. It's still loose, but not so much.

And-- he is now getting hard to keep weight on. This is new. He is raw fed. But now, I need to add an extra (small) meal or he loses weight and ribs stick out too much.

Grimm just turned 3 and Czech lines mature slowly, especially the males. I just wanted to hear other's experiences as their dogs developed through late adolesence! (and I sure hope he will eat less again once he's all filled out!)

Patti
Frauchen von:

Grimm van den Heuvel, aka "The Doofinator"
My strong-minded, very loving boy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-11-2010, 11:10 PM
Master Member

Re: Filling out?

I'm still waiting for my boy to fill out! He'll be 2 years old in April but he still looks like a gangly adolescent to me - I guess technically he still is. He has the exact same sharp ridge where his ribs end that you described on your Grimm, even though I've been upping his food gradually to see if he'll put on a little weight.

People keep telling me "he's so thin!" even though I think he's at a decent weight. Your post gives me hope that one day Bodie will look like an adult instead of the skinny, awkward, acned-out teenager he is.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-11-2010, 11:21 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

I guess it's just the beginning, Virginia. I was just caught off guard by it! I think i expected him to forever look so sweet-n-dweeby. I think your dog will fill out sooner. Maybe it'll catch you by surprise, too.

Patti
Frauchen von:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-11-2010, 11:55 PM
Crowned Member

Stark is all leg and is in that gangly stage.. won't be awhile until he is finished filling out, but am excited to see what he looks like "all grown up".

Patti, I think Grimm is absolutely adorable and think that we need proof of this "filing out"... Pictures?

G Wild Winds Zephyr of Cognac BH, HIC, NTD, ITD, CGN, TT
Wild Winds Archangel Raphael HIC, TT
XX z Weberhaus
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-12-2010, 12:44 AM
Crowned Member

I don't understand a word of your post, sorry, but I won't be able until you post lots and lots of pictures of filling Grimm...

Diabla Boroluz, my Daemon; IPO-A1, RH-T A
Akela de Poputchik, my Direwolf; IPO-2, Kkl1
Calais vom Adler Stein; IPO-A1, Kkl1
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-12-2010, 12:59 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

I'll post pics when I am able! Promise!

Patti
Frauchen von:

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-12-2010, 01:12 PM
Elite Member

Please hurry with pictures! All of the adolescents need some inspiration . Dakota will be 2 in February and people keep thinking he is a she (no idea why...).

-Kira

Fur Family:
Dakota "Koda" GSD 02/20/2008
Chloe Calico 9/21/2007

"The great pleasure of a dog is that you may make a fool of yourself with him and not only will he not scold you, but he will make a fool of himself too"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page