What games do you play with your dog? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-11-2010, 02:26 PM Thread Starter

What games do you play with your dog?

Apologize if this topic has been discussed before. I tried to run a search and didn't come up with much so figured I would post again. Wanted to see what various games you play with your pup/dog to keep it exciting each day.
I have an 8 mth old GSD who loves to play fetch so we play that with the ball or frisbee Other than that we play catch - so I run around and let him catch me and then he runs around and I never can catch him fast enough . We also play tug in short bursts between fetch/catch. Other than that we go on short walks around the neighborhood or in the nearby strip mall.
I'm thinking one day he will tire of the playing both, not to mention they get pretty monotonous for me and he can read my energy or lack thereof. I do mix it up with his training so these are short sessions most times except the evening one which is longest.

Any other ideas on what games can be played which will tire the pup out and also be equally exciting?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-11-2010, 02:34 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to smerry
Re: What games do you play with your dog?

http://www.clickerdogs.com/

She also has a dvd that is really inexpensive compared to most trainers dvd's that is games to play with your dog that improves relationship, and teaches a bunch of stuff to the dog at the same time. I am getting it tomorrow ... ordering it at least.

Sarah
Cora v.d. Schodin, IPO 1
Brisko v. Yukonhausbrg

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-11-2010, 02:43 PM
Master Member

Send a message via Yahoo to StryderPup

My husband dances with our GSD...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-11-2010, 02:59 PM Thread Starter

Ahh! Susan Garrett DVD's. I have her Crate Games DVD and used it so much when Hugo was just learning but with that under control, I need more for my game thirsty pup That definitely is a good idea though to refer to her website. I should've thought of that!!
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-11-2010, 03:00 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted By: StryderPupMy husband dances with our GSD...
Oh! I have 2 left feet! My dog would be traumitized for life if I tried to dance with him
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-11-2010, 03:14 PM
Master Member

I play hide and seek with Ruby. Or hide and treat? I put her in a down and make her stay. Somewhere around a corner where she cant see me. Then I go about the house and hide treats. I come back and tell her "Find!" or "ok!" and she hops up and hunts around, under cushions, bookshelves, etc.. when I know she's found them all I tell her "all gone!" and brush my hands together so she doenst keep looking. She likes is a lot.

We also do this with toys. I'll tell her "get your ball!" or "toy" and make her look around for it. And we play "kill the muppet". She has some kinda Verbotten! thing about her plush dolls singing and dancing. It's ok if they hang out by her, but if I make them do a little a routine she gets all wound and grabs them and throws them down like "SHUT UP! You little Freak!!" LOL!! I love it.

Fur Mom to Miss Ruby, Zora the Exlpora cat and Falon a.k.a Big Boy
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-11-2010, 03:49 PM
Knighted Member

I had a game with my last dog that was a blast...using the old McDonalds plush toys(can't remember what they were called now) I would be sweeping the floor and she would set one in front of the broom, so I would bat it down the hallway for her. YOu can also use tennis balls, or other light weight toys, the lighter they are the better they sail down the hall As the game took on a life of its own the sweeping rarely got done, but we had a blast playing our indoor hockey game!!

Nadia - GSD -DOB 12-29-07
Zisso - GSD- DOB 9-16-07
Pepe & Kiki`my sweet kitties

Zisso is my heart~Nadia is my Love~My kitties bring me everything in between~Together they bring me Joy!
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-11-2010, 04:00 PM
Crowned Member

We usually get at least one round of "Keep the sock/underpants away from mommy by running around the kitchen table!" game.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tiffany; mom to:
Annabelle "the Diva"- GSD born 9/21/08
Duncan- Shep Mix adopted on 2/14/00 TDI
The kitty amigos: Simon, Alley and Mia
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-11-2010, 04:03 PM
Crowned Member

ball....in the house....

do not throw kongs!!! They bounce...high...

SG Seger vom Sitz vd Hose, IPO3, AD
G Faren vom Warkonhaus, Monkey in Training
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-11-2010, 04:10 PM
Crowned Member

LOL Anna, Otto says I love you! He likes to play take the tights off the little girl and the strictly forbidden take the kid for a spin by the footie pajamas.

During the day, we'll play 12 ball - that's where whatever boy is home takes all the toys in the basement and tries to get the dog to catch them.

Otto likes to play bat the ball - he takes one big toy like a soccer ball in his mouth and hits the toys we throw at him with the ball in his mouth - strange.

At night after the kids go to bed, I'll play catch in the den with him. This usually turns into poke the dog with a yardstick. I use the yard stick to roll his ball closer to me so I don't have to get up. He starts messing with Morgan, so I poke him in the butt with the stick, then he tries to catch the stick. Note to self, get a longer stick...

-Jenn

Venus of Crooked Creek 1/26/13
Otto von Hena-C 05/23/08
Morgan Donnermond 08/04/01 to 9/28/12 Long Live the Queen!

I have duct tape and I am not afraid to use it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page