GSD VS Malnois - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-07-2010, 10:22 AM Thread Starter

GSD VS Malnois

Sorry if this is in the wrong section. Not sure where to put it.

Can a GSD and a Mal Co exist together? Anyone on here have both of them?.

Those that know Mals what are they like? Similar to German Shepherds or do they have much more of a high strung personality? what about temperament? is it true that they don't sleep at all?.

I have been showing interest in this breed but i'm only admiring from afar . I'd like to find more info on them, i just think are neat looking .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-07-2010, 10:33 AM
Master Member

Re: GSD VS Malnois

I know some members have both. I think Historian has both, if not sorry. I have no experience with malinois in first hand, they say they are similar to high strung, energetic working line german shepherds. Cindy Easton Rhodes from Leerburg breeds them, has a pretty much info about the breed. Maybe you can start to look for Leerburg website http://www.leerburg.com. I definitely think they can coexist together, although it depends dogs' personalities and your experience with managing them as a pack leader. These are my novice opinions. Let's see what other more experienced folks say.

Musa

My Kenzo 07/2007-11/2008 RIP My Baby Boy

Laila Pester-ella (the evil minpin) DOB:11/2007

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-07-2010, 10:36 AM

my old alpha male mal just died; he lived peacefully and happily among gsds and pinschers; he was a happy boy and ruled the roost

he was higher energy than my gsds in his youth; but he'd mellowed considerably w/age; mals seem to be higher energy but that varies from dog to dog; yes, he slept; he was a GREAT dog and he's been dead almost a month and i'm still missing him...a lot; he was a very balanced, fair, gentle leader....a one of a kind dog
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-07-2010, 10:49 AM

A good friend on mine has 2 male GSDS (11 and 1 yr), a 4 or 5? yr female Malinois, and old female toy poodle. The Mal is the boss. The older male shepherd just takes it, and there may be some tension between the young male shepherd and the Mal. She gets along well with the Poodle as well.

I think there can be a range in the temperaments of Mals the same as you get in Shepherds, but that there's probably a fair amount of overlap. A good workingline shepherd will be comparable to a Malinois. In the end I agree it depends on the personality of the particular dog.

Bianka vom Eisernen Loewen IPO3, CGC, TC 1-3-08
Cade vom Eisernen Loewen IPO1, CGC 3-25-09
D'Artagnan (Tag) vom Eisernen Loewen BH 2-2-10
G Aiko von Burkndeiros SchH 3, IPO3, FH, TC, KKL2 9-17-02 (Retired)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-07-2010, 11:27 AM
Crowned Member

I have a 7 year old German Shepherd and a 5 year old Malinois. Both females and both rescues.

I think it really is what you make of it, and Malinois run the whole spectrum of temperaments and energy level, just like German Shepherds do. In my case, my Shepherd is very laid back, very calm, and happy to just lie on her pillow. My Malinois ... not so much. She is hyper, hyper, and most happy when she has something to be attached to ... like a bite sleeve, a tug, or my German Shepherd's neck fur.

Out of the two, my Malinois is a ridiculously heavy sleeper. She will ball up in the evening (when it's "bed time" for all of us) and go to sleep and just be OUT until it's time to get up. She's probably the deepest sleeper out of all my critters, including the cats.

As for temperament, my Malinois has a fantastic temperament. She is a very social dog and loves to make friends with new people. She'd be in your lap if you let her. She's also the only dog I've ever met that enjoyed getting hugged (by anyone!). At the same time, she's wonderful at protection, very serious about her bitework.

Malinois Ronja - fastest K-9 in VT
=^^= Finn, Ratchet & Ollie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
-

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-07-2010, 11:44 AM
Crowned Member

Absolutly! But the Malinois will run circles around the GSD.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-07-2010, 11:56 AM
Knighted Member

I have always sort of thought of Malinois as GSDs on crystal meth!

Yours in GSDs and rescue,

Lea

Good Dogs for Good Homes
Virginia German Shepherd Rescue

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-07-2010, 01:15 PM
Elite Member

Send a message via AIM to KohleePiper

I have a GSD and Groenendael (different coat but same breed as Malinois).....they are awesome together and to me they make an excellent match! The belgian runs circles around the gsd and doesn't mind being the GSD's living chew toy too! In addition, the belgian is alpha (even tho she's female) in the pack...even over my male GSD! They start out at the same intensity but the belgian always can outlast the GSD.

This is how it always starts off...notice the belgian isn't even phased! (btw there is a 30lb weight difference too! she can hold her own!)

This is how it always ends....look at that intensity LOL!

Jessica

Diesel - GSD Sable 09/2008
Kohlee - Belgian Groenendael 02/2007
Piper - Pit/GSD mix 08/2006
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-07-2010, 01:33 PM

I have a GSD and a Malinois. Both are male and are also rescues. They are 6 years old and the GSD is 3 months older. They were 2 1/2 when I got them. The Malinois is direct from France.

The Malinois is like a GSD on Steroids; never still a minute constantly in motion even in the house. Malinois normally are not good with other dogs unless highly socialized when they are very young.

I had a GSD and a Tervuren for over 12 years and there is no comparison between the Tervuren and Malinois even though the only difference is supposedly the coat length.

Joe

Joe

Jake -- GSD
Valdo-- Malinois
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page