Artificial grass for dog run - German Shepherd Dog Forums
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-07-2010, 01:02 AM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Artificial grass for dog run

We built a fenced in dog run for Lulu, this is a pic from last summer:

see all that lovely grass? Well, it's all gone and just dirt or MUD when it's wet now! Between her tramping around down there and peeing, and the ice and snow all mixed together the grass is completely gone! We are looking at putting in artificial grass this coming summer, here is one site I was looking at:

http://www.progreen.com/dogrun.htm

but VERY expensive, would cost us over $800 and that's if we install it ourselves. We were considering gravel as well. Any ideas on art. grass vs. gravel, what sort of gravel as well as does anyone know of any less expensive artifical grass options? I know home depot sells some for a bit less but still 500+ for that small area!

I would love to hear all of your ideas, expertise, experience, etc Thanks! My carpets appreciate it! LOL

~Lisa

Maya, my little human, 15 years old
Tala, White GSD born Feb 28 2019
Lulu, Black GSD,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
R.I.P. went to the Rainbow Bridge May, 2018
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-07-2010, 01:15 AM
Elite Member

Re: Artificial grass for dog run

one time growing up my friends farm kept flooding so, they had a layer of just dirt put down, then sand and lastly, gravel.
Dont know how effective it was but I would probably put down sand before gravel anyways.

Kaity, owned by

Vida - 6 years GSD
Hype - 3 years GSD
Cinq - 1 year bengal
Sunshine - 7 years tabby

Not forgotten, Nasa, bengal, 16 weeks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-07-2010, 01:17 AM

I guess if you dont mind cleaning artificial grass every so often.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that will love you more than you love yourself." ~ Josh Billings
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-07-2010, 01:18 AM

I've been considering something like this as well so will be interested to see what replies you get.

~Sandi
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-07-2010, 01:18 AM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Well, I talked to the guy today, he said it's just fine for "peeing" goes right through like normal grass and Lou is on Raw so her poops are tiny, hard deer droppings now so that's not too much of an issue, I'm just worried about the cost factor and thinking gravel might be much cheaper but I don't want it to hurt her paws either

~Lisa

Lulu, Black GSD,
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-07-2010, 01:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted By: StarryNiteWell, I talked to the guy today, he said it's just fine for "peeing" goes right through like normal grass and Lou is on Raw so her poops are tiny, hard deer droppings now so that's not too much of an issue, I'm just worried about the cost factor and thinking gravel might be much cheaper but I don't want it to hurt her paws either
Also something to consider. After a couple of years the sun does major work on artificial turf. Its plastic after all. So who knows how much youll have to replace it. I couldnt imagine you wouldnt smell some kind of dog urine odor after a few months of the dog peeing on it.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that will love you more than you love yourself." ~ Josh Billings
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-07-2010, 01:25 AM
Elite Member

At the house we lived at before this one we had gravel in our dog run, Im pretty sure it was pea gravel. It was tiny rocks and they didnt have any sharp edges, I found that to be really good because the pee would just go thru the gravel to the dirt and the poop was really easy to pick up we got one of those muck rakes (rake used to clean horse stalls) and that was awesome to pick the poop up with I was able to get every bit of it. I never noticed my dogs favoring their paws because of the gravel. We also put the rock pretty thick so that at winter time the gravel never sank into the mud, it stay nice a clean and with the pea gravel the rain goes right to the dirt and doesnt puddle on top. I think it all depends on prefrence too, what you think would match your yard and look better.

Jessica
Annie- 3 yo GSD
Beowulf- 1 yo GSD
Highplains Christmas Shimmer- Noel
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-07-2010, 01:26 AM
Crowned Member

Gravel is still pretty expensive. We just went through something similar to your situation - we've got a small fenced in area off the backdoor for the dogs to use for pottying and limited playing but it turned into a pig wallow pretty quickly. We looked into a lot of different options and for our area the quote was $600 for 2 inches depth pea gravel. We finally decided on landscaping cloth covered with the same kind of woodchips they use on playgrounds. So far so good. It stays clean and dry, it's pretty soft on the dogs' feet, it's easy to pick up poop off the chips and no pee smell yet. Remains to be seen if pee smell is a problem when warmer weather rolls around though. I'm guessing pea gravel would be a lot easier to hose down if that's an issue.

post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-07-2010, 01:31 AM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Jess, how pricey was the gravel you put in? I will check into that type in our area. Thanks!

Pupresq, pig wallow is a good word, that is exactly what ours looks like right now! and Wow I had no idea it was that pricey for gravel! I have taken Lou to playground with my daughter, though, and they have those wood chips you are talking about and she thinks she is in doggy heaven wanting to dig in it, I have to always take her out of that area, I am afraid she would tear that up immediately!

~Lisa

Lulu, Black GSD,
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-07-2010, 01:36 AM
Elite Member

I was looking up synthetic grass and apparently there is lead in it. Anything plastic i dont trust, im such a nut. All goes back to that 'death by rubber ducky' book.
under the jan. 29th post they have some information about it
http://www.newgrasslandscape.com/wor...ynthetic-grass

Kaity, owned by

Vida - 6 years GSD
Hype - 3 years GSD
Cinq - 1 year bengal
Sunshine - 7 years tabby

Not forgotten, Nasa, bengal, 16 weeks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page