Any thoughts or ideas for this poor baby. - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-05-2010, 07:46 PM Thread Starter

Any thoughts or ideas for this poor baby.

I wasn't the orginally poster, but this my post on CL from yesterday.

This evening there is another post that someone else went today and saw the pup and left food. Also confirmed that the cat/kitten is feral.

Any thoughts - this is on NCDOT property , so I am sure permission would be needed to place a humane trap.

This rest area is about 25 miles from my house-but I am going again Thursday to leave some more food.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I posted last night that I would drive to this rest stop and at least leave some food for the puppy. Evidently my post was flagged ,but not before the OP emailed me.

So I did drive out there late this afternoon. I left some food for the puppy, but did not see him at all. I talked to the attendents and the kittens are feral ( wild ) , but they are being fed and can get out of the cold. The people had not seen the dog , but suspect that it is hiding in the woods and only comes out in the evening.

Also this rest area is close to Thomasville and Lexington. I took the 64 exit off of I-85 so I could get to the rest area. However, this is the rest area that is close to the Vietnam War Memorial so there are paths the puppy could take and get to the other rest area very easily.

For anyone interested in Lexington or Thomasville, it is fairly easy to get to. Take the I-85 exit off of 64 and it is @ 3 miles-then you could turn around at the 102 exit. For me I had to go 6 miles past the rest area to turn around coming from the G'boro area.

================================================== ================================================== ================================================== ===================================
Tonight while driving back from Atlanta I stopped at the at the rest area near exit 104( going NE on i85/40) to use the facilities. Walking into the building.. I saw a charcoal colored kitten near the entrance. It meowed at me but did not run away.. it started to hesitantly follow me, then I saw it's litter made a lighter colored tabby. They are shy but have been obviously pets beforehand. They would come up less a foot away from me.. then they'd get spooked and run away. Walking out of the restrooms both ran towards me.. so I went to my car and got some left over jerky I had been sharing with my dog Reba. And they again ran towards me and would keep inching closer.. I was hoping to be able to get them and bring them home and get them attention and food and seen by a vet.. and rehomed. But I couldn't get them. Something kept spooking them.. whether it was people, or cars or loud sounds. Walking back to the car to see if I had any other food to offer them I spotted an emaciated tan puppy with a black muzzle.. looked like it could've either been an older puggle or a very young bull mastiff mix.. it was a good 25 feet away or more.. and it was dark.. If it was a mastiff or a large breed dog mix it couldn't have been older than 4 months old.. if that. if a med breed mix.. maybe 6 months old. But with it's emaciated state who knows. It was terrified and ran deeper into the woods and just watched.. and as soon as car came around and it saw the lights it vanished. I tried for the better part of an hour coaxing the kittens( the kittens couldn't have been more than 12-14 weeks old ) and the pup out of hiding. My dog that I had with me is a very cat friendly and puppy friendly dog.. and I had somewhere I could keep all 3 if I could find them.. I thought I had it figured it out.. but they were all too frightened. The kittens looked in reasonably good shape.. good thicker coats on them...And the gray one is a lil talker so friendly enough. The pup though.. he broke my heart.. drove all the way back to Raleigh crying praying for a miracle

Bungee 6/1996 - 01/2009 * Dane/lab mix
Sassy of Rosehall and Black Magic 4/13/09 GSD
Copper 1998 * Redbone Hound*
Buster 6/2008* cat
Prissy 1990-2010 *cat

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-05-2010, 07:54 PM
Crowned Member

Re: Any thoughts or ideas for this poor baby.

I hope they get rescued.

Akbar 6 years
Isa 10 years
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-05-2010, 08:00 PM

I'd try a humane trap , kittens can be relatively easy to trap if they are hungry, and it sounds like the kittens atleast will come close,,,the puppy, couldn't say, but again a humane trap might work..

Poor things out in this weather,,hope they get help(

Diane
Ozzie vom Kleinen Hain
Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
Tranquillo's Kizzy
Jakoda's Kholee
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
"Angel" Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-05-2010, 09:04 PM
Master Member

Send a message via AIM to Spiritsmam Send a message via Yahoo to Spiritsmam

I'll contact folks I know here who work in rescue (feline and canine) and for the county shelter. Perhaps they may be able to help trap or at least contact folks in the immediate area.

Joanne

Joanne,
Spirit, Eli, and Aoibhe (Disabled GSD's)
Duncan, Sam, Carl and Tesla (Black Lab mixes who think all GSD's are airheads)
Teddy ("the Corgi")

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-05-2010, 11:05 PM Thread Starter

Mod-could you delete the location in my post to where the dog is. There is a group trying to capture the puppy before animal control finds out. He/she would surely be PTS for being unadoptable.

I have been contacted by the woman who saw the dog/ cats first.

I am not the only one that has been out to feed the animals. A plan has been formulated to capture the mother and kitten and spay/neutered and ear tip them. Since they are feral they will be returned to the area.

We will try and humanely trap the puppy -if not a dog house will be put into the woods ( out of sight of the parking lot) for the dog. One of the attendants has been feeding the animals -so several of the people concerned will be donating food to him.

The puppy appears to be part shepherd-but extremely skiddish.
I am taking my camera out there Thursday to try and take a picture of him. He has been coming to the area where we have been leaving food so hopefully we can build some trust.

Belief is that he/she was dumped there. The attendent has rescued several animals including a cockutoo over the years.

Bungee 6/1996 - 01/2009 * Dane/lab mix
Sassy of Rosehall and Black Magic 4/13/09 GSD
Copper 1998 * Redbone Hound*
Buster 6/2008* cat
Prissy 1990-2010 *cat

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-06-2010, 09:23 AM

the kittens may not be as feral as you think since they seem to come quite close to humans.

I have a friend who traps ferals, true ferals are really wild, will NOT let you get near them nor touch them. She has rehabbed alot of really young ones so that may be an option.

Also if someone is planning on catch & release,,I would see if they could find maybe a farm/safer area to release them in.

Good luck

Diane
Ozzie vom Kleinen Hain
Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
Tranquillo's Kizzy
Jakoda's Kholee
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
"Angel" Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page