Mini huskies - this is REALLY bugging me.. - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-05-2010, 06:30 AM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Mini huskies - this is REALLY bugging me..

If any of you knew me, you'd know that I strive to learn a little bit about each breed I've ever encountered. I was also looking for a breed that is calm, and that makes a really good non-threatening family companion. My aunt used to have a husky/malamute named Snowbear. I'm not gonna lie, she was the absolute best dog I have EVER came across. She didn't even beg (only dog I've ever seen not beg for scraps!!) She was a rescue and did not have an ounce of agression in her. Back to the point though, I was on wiki and I found 'mini huskies". How are these miniature dogs any different from teacup yorkies, poms or chis? This lady is breeding smaller dogs with smaller dogs, with smaller dogs. I don't ever hear of 'mini' german shepherds. Although I like the idea of mini huskies, I also appreciate them the way they are. To try to downsize a large breed seems stupid to me, but then again so does making it bigger (i.e 'king' GSDS. ) I'm not an expert by any means but wouldn't this cause some serious health problems? I read that she sells puppies with parvo.. I cannot even imagine. On the other hand, she isn't selling them for ridiculously high prices. 60$ for a deposit. 650-950 for a puppy. She doesn't even have pictures of the parents on her site. I kinda want to email her and tell her that I think what she does is gross. It says the waiting time for a puppy is between 2-4 months.. seriously?
Why mess with perfection?!
http://minihuskies.net/

Kaity, owned by

Vida - 6 years GSD
Hype - 3 years GSD
Cinq - 1 year bengal
Sunshine - 7 years tabby

Not forgotten, Nasa, bengal, 16 weeks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-05-2010, 07:14 AM
Crowned Member

Re: Mini huskies - this is REALLY bugging me..

Sorry I took a look at the first page and had to close the site. I dont have time to waste on a puppy mill or byb!
So ya, this really bugs me too!

Sandra
Larka GSD 1/4/06 Palla GSD 7/16/06 Loki adopted 8/23/08
Badger,Miss Crabtree & Shafford, the kitty krew
Waiting at the bridge;Palla,Tucker,Chance, Brandy and Lacy. I'll miss you to the end of eternity, and love you twice as long.
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-05-2010, 09:26 AM
Crowned Member

Is this someone's attempt at a "Klee Kai." They were developed, I believe, in the late 70s for people who liked Siberian Huskies and the other arctic breeds, but wanted a "smaller dog." Quite frankly...Huskies (no matter if it's a Siberian or a sledding Alaskan Husky) and Malamutes were bred to do a particular job...not just look pretty. I thought that "they look pretty" was one of the top reasons why Huskies end up in shelters? "I fell in love with their blue eyes....but I couldn't handle the howling, digging, and escaping from the yard."

History of the "Klee Kai:"

The breed was developed in Wasilla, Alaska during the mid-1970s by Linda S. Spurlin after she observed the result of an accidental mating of an Alaskan Husky and an unknown small dog. The breed was developed with Siberian and Alaskan Huskies using Schipperke and American Eskimo Dog to bring down the size without dwarfism. She bred these dogs in private until she released them to the general public in 1988. Originally called the "Klee Kai", the breed split into "Alaskan Klee Kai" and "Klee Kai" for political reasons in 1995. The breed consolidated under the new name in 2002. The Alaskan Klee Kai was officially recognized by the American Rare Breed Association (ARBA) in 1995 and by the United Kennel Club (UKC) on January 1, 1997.

- Shel

Handmade puppy and dog toys - Free Shipping
100% Proceeds to animal rescues -

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- PICS NOW UP!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-05-2010, 09:31 AM
Crowned Member

they even have "mini-aussies" "pocket beagles" etc. and those aren't big dogs to begin with.

a woman I work with, as well as my boss, both breed tea cup yorkies. the woman doesn't let the littlest one go until 12+ weeks, and they get little ones rarely. my boss? all of them go at 8 weeks and the majority of his are under 3 lbs. His wife was telling us that they don't get attached to the pups because it's not uncommon for them to die in the first few weeks because they are so small. as well as liver shunts, etc etc
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-05-2010, 11:28 AM
Moderator who has gone to the dogs

I did not look at the website. However, if it is indeed a Klee Kai I do not have an issue as they had specific goals and created a "new breed" the way it should be done developed a standard etc...... If it is a BYB/Puppy Mill then I do not agree either. Kind if like the "doodles".....Expensive mutts (not using mutt as a derogatory word cuz I love Jamies Mutt!!).

Lakota, Chimo, Tika, Rayne, Kanuck, Jethro and Keyzah

My Angels forever in my heart and watching over us:
Phoenix 9/07
Kaylee Cheyenne 5/09
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-05-2010, 11:33 AM
Knighted Member

You shouldnt really make fun of peoples puppies.
Since there are no laws regulating breeding, theres nothing you can do about it.

Kilo- GSD
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-05-2010, 11:44 AM
Crowned Member

I don't mind Klee Kais but I thought the AKK people hate it when their dogs are referred to as "mini-huskies", so I don't see why a legit breeder would intentionally market them as such.
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-05-2010, 11:46 AM Thread Starter
Elite Member

I'm not trying to make fun of them. I just don't believe that they should be trying to make a smaller husky. They are huskies, NOT klee kai's to my understanding. I don't think what she is claiming to do is very responsible.

Kaity, owned by

Vida - 6 years GSD
Hype - 3 years GSD
Cinq - 1 year bengal
Sunshine - 7 years tabby

Not forgotten, Nasa, bengal, 16 weeks
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-05-2010, 11:46 AM
Elite Member

Ugh - yeah, I find it bothersome, too. I really hate the idea of these backyard breeders trying to cash in on a new fad.

They've come up with "Miniature Goldens" now, too, by crossing them with Cocker Spaniels. (As if Doodles aren't bad enough.)

I should add that I have absolutely nothing against mixed-breed dogs. They're wonderful and deserve good homes, love and care just as much as any purebred does. What I hate are these so-called "breeders" cashing in by passing mutts off as "designer breeds" to unsuspecting people who don't understand what they're getting. Which is often the worst of both breeds.

God, leave well enough alone. There are plenty of dogs out there, either pure or mixed. People can find the right dog for them without creating new ones.

Deni
Owned by:
Gunner - GSD - 7 years
Riley - Golden Retriever - 2 1/2 years
Jake - (aka Demon kitty) Gray & white tabby
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-05-2010, 12:00 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: GunnersMomWhat I hate are these so-called "breeders" cashing in by passing mutts off as "designer breeds" to unsuspecting people who don't understand what they're getting.
or passing them off as rare and unusual.

Isn't there a mini husky already? Not a teacup dog but a mini version. Not exactly sure what it's called, american eskimo dog or something like that? We have one that lives around here, Otto says she's a hottie. Extremely dog aggressive (Morgan wants to kick her hiney) but I don't hold one dogs bad behavior against an entire breed.

-Jenn

Venus of Crooked Creek 1/26/13
Otto von Hena-C 05/23/08
Morgan Donnermond 08/04/01 to 9/28/12 Long Live the Queen!

I have duct tape and I am not afraid to use it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page