Second dog, maybe? GSD + Australian Shepherd - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-04-2010, 11:00 PM Thread Starter
Rex

Second dog, maybe? GSD + Australian Shepherd

My husband and I have been thinking about getting a friend for Rex (9 months old).
He goes to doggy daycare every day and the owner rescues dogs that are supposed to get put down. So today she rescued 7 dogs and I fell in love with one of them- a red/golden male Australian Shepherd He's the same age as Rex, neuterd, healthy...

If Rex and the Aussie get along at doggy daycare tomorrow I really wanna take him home with us!

Do you think a GSD and an Aussie is a good combination though? According to this link http://www.lizpalika.com/rightdog.html and a little bit of dog knowledge I know that both breeds are herding/working dogs and have a lot of similarities in their character. Is that a good or bad thing when it comes to living with each other?

Besides that i was wondering how I could teach Rex to play gentle. His "neck biting"- play is not very welcome at daycare and with other owners

Mom to
- Rex (black/tan male GSD born 03-28-09)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-04-2010, 11:19 PM
Crowned Member

Re: Second dog, maybe? GSD + Australian Shepherd

would it be possible to bring him home for a test?

I don't think there is any rule about breeds that can and can't go together. They will both take a lot of work thats for sure. Hope everything works out!

-Brandi

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
6-5-09

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-04-2010, 11:41 PM Thread Starter
Rex

Yes- I can bring him home to test it...
I hope they can get to know each other at daycare tomorrow and if everything goes well I'll take him home and see how they do together.
I'm afraid Rex might be a little bit territorial. But actually I had other dogs over before and he just played with them... so it might be OK. Hopefully!

Any tips what I should do when I bring him home? Just let them free in the house and see how it goes? What about at night? Should I have both dogs in the bedroom with me- or maybe one in a kennel?

Thanks!

Mom to
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-04-2010, 11:43 PM
Elite Member

I would certainly ask to see if you could take him home for a few days at least...

I have two dogs that by all statistics should not be getting along so well. I have a Standard Schnauzer that I bought as a puppy and when she was close to 18 months I adopted an 11 month old, unsocialized GSD. This shepherd had not been around other dogs at all and acted aggressive towards other dogs.

Fast forward.....they are the BEST of friends..more so than I would have ever imagined! They play, play and play some more...the slightly older (by 5 months) St. Schnauzer is dominant, but you really have to be able to read body language to see it. They are so evenly matched..it's amazing!

I have two spayed females both around the 2 year old mark..raised in different settings and both very dominant characters. Amazing it works, but it does!

I'd give the rescue a chance...I'm happy I did!

You can catch more flies with honey than you can with vinegar!
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-04-2010, 11:57 PM
Crowned Member

if you aren't bringing them home together I would reintroduce them on neutral ground.

Don't leave them alone together, dont force them to play, kennel them at night (since you can't watch them)

hopefully an expert can offer better advice

-Brandi

6-5-09

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-05-2010, 11:38 PM
Master Member

I have an Aussie and a GSD. So, I would say they are a wonderful combination.

Go for it!!!

Mistimp, mom to Shadow 7yr-old Aussie, Baron 5 yr-old GSD, Phantom kitten
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-06-2010, 07:58 AM Thread Starter
Rex

They tried them out together at doggy daycare yesterday and apparently they didn't get along very well

They said they had Rex on a leash and the Aussie free and they started playing but then I guess they both showed aggressive behavior. The Aussies brother was in the run across from them- maybe that had some influence on the Aussies behavior and the fact that Rex was on a leash and he wasn't?!
I already scheduled a vet appointment for the new dog this morning but the daycare owner wouldn't let me take him- she said she doesn't want me to be in the middle of a dog fight... bummer!

Oh, the Aussie is neutered, Rex isn't... maybe that's a reason for their behavior?

Mom to
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-06-2010, 09:07 AM

I have two aussies and they can be a great combination with gsd's, My 10 & 9 yr old aussies never grew up, they haven't got a serious bone in their body and even at this age, are ripping around like youngsters keeping Masi (my gsd now) busy..

My oldest aussie Jynx, grew up with 3 other gsd's (that have since passed) and she was great with all of them and any other dogs..My male, Jag was a rescue, he is a tad more serious, but got along wonderfully with my previous female& male gsd, he gets along great with Masi too.

Aussies, can be pushy, slammy types, and some dogs probably wouldn't go for their rough ways..

I don't know why the two of yours didn't get along, but it could also be that the daycare atmosphere itself may have been hectic?
It's certainly not unusual for a couple of dogs to not like each other.

I might try it again, in a more controlled/quiet atmosphere with no other distractions??

Diane
Ozzie vom Kleinen Hain
Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
Tranquillo's Kizzy
Jakoda's Kholee
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
"Angel" Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page