Craigslist strikes again - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-03-2010, 04:09 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Craigslist strikes again

I believe it was sometime last week that a woman posted an ad on our Craigslist giving away a 9 weeks old male sable German Shepherd puppy because "her husband was allergic." She was being very selective about his home, etc. I talked it over with Andrew, and he said the least we could do was foster the little guy until a proper home was actually found (as we know how well Craigslisters in Atlanta can lie.)

We sent an e-mail to the owner who liked what we had to say and said she thought that was a great idea, etc. We swapped e-mails back and forth (as we were in South Georgia at the end of last week with no cell service.) She was ecstatic (we offered Vet references but she didn't ask for the number or seem interested, training references, etc.) and said to give her a call on our way up as she "would like him in a new home by the end of the weekend."

I asked her where he came from, and she said, "a guy that does security down in Cocoa Beach bred his buddy's police dog to his retired sable police dog." I asked what the "guy's" name was as I knew some people in that area.......that question went unanswered. I asked her if she knew his bloodlines not because we were interested in breeding (even if he was an awesome specimen, he wasn't registered,) and she said she "didn't know because he was only going to be a pet." Still, she was gung-ho.

We called on our way up yesterday - no answer, we left a message.
We sent an e-mail when we got home. No answer.
I finally sent an e-mail late last night stating, "I'm going to assume you've found him a home. If so - that's great! But could you please let us know one way or the other. Thanks."

No response.

For once I thought this was an actually normal Craigslister, but I guess not. She did mention she couldn't believe the number of BYB'ers and people all-out lying about their lives to get him. She had some lady send her a picture of their "neutered male" Shepherd, but upon closer inspection....it was a formerly-pregnant female! She had people send her pictures of their fenced backyard, and when the owner did some online snooping...discovered that they were photos from for sale ads on Craigslist!

- Shel

Handmade puppy and dog toys - Free Shipping
100% Proceeds to animal rescues -

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- PICS NOW UP!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-03-2010, 04:13 PM

Re: Craigslist strikes again

So she led you on to get the dog, and then no answer? Hm.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that will love you more than you love yourself." ~ Josh Billings
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-03-2010, 04:21 PM
Knighted Member

Send a message via Yahoo to VectorSketcher

Well, I hope the pup did go to a great home, still the decent thing would have been to let you know what was going on, maybe something happened to her and she hasn't yet seen her emails or listened to her voice mails. It is always hard to tell what is going on with a craigslister though, there is always a 50/50 chance of finding a bad egg.

-michelle-
Riddick-4yr GSD
Rogue-1yr GSD
Bishop-10yr Cat
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-03-2010, 04:31 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Well we were either going to keep him (get him neutered at an appropriate age, etc.) or at least keep him until he was old enough to be neutered and then adopt him out through our Vet's rescue program she had.

I truly do hope the puppy went to a good home and not someone who was just really good at lying (as is the case with most of the people on ATL's Craigslist.)

I think she was turned off when Andrew asked what the breeder's name was and for a picture of the little guy. She ceased all contact after that.

- Shel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- PICS NOW UP!
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-03-2010, 05:15 PM

Oooh, okay. Well thats kind of crappy on her end for at least not contacting you back to let you know the final word.

People...

"A dog is the only thing on earth that will love you more than you love yourself." ~ Josh Billings
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-03-2010, 05:35 PM
Elite Member

To tell the truth, I got my dog from CL. She's what she said she would be, but she did come w/ a few extras.. worms and fleas. She's a really good dog otherwise and is as trained as she claimed, maybe not quite on the potty thing....

There are good ppl on CL, but some are really bad.

Zeva Female GSD 10/02/2009

Waiting at the Bridge:
Buddy ~ GSD/Husky mix 1/00
Sadie ~ GSD 10/05
Lady ~ GSD 5/09
Pepper ~ Beagle 12/09
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-03-2010, 06:47 PM
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: FuryanGoddessTo tell the truth, I got my dog from CL. She's what she said she would be, but she did come w/ a few extras.. worms and fleas. She's a really good dog otherwise and is as trained as she claimed, maybe not quite on the potty thing....

There are good ppl on CL, but some are really bad.
And the bad ppl really stink like rotten eggs. I really dislike when ppl do schtuff like that @!

Kate
Dublin and Gracie (RIP)
Timer (RIP)

Guinness Tennessee Porch Hound

Roxie Shennannigan

RILEY

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-03-2010, 07:19 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

On the Atlanta Craigslist, I would venture to guess the majority are bad...unfortunately. There are a lot of people getting free dogs and re-selling them....people "finding" dogs...and re-selling them....people selling intact female dogs, but all of her paperwork (if you get it) says spayed, etc.

- Shel

- PICS NOW UP!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page