Long Haired GSD Different? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-30-2009, 10:33 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Long Haired GSD Different?

Having spent so much time shopping for a German showline puppy prior to purchasing Tanner, I noticed that long hair is a fairly common trait in those lines. A litter could easily have a long haired puppy or two, right along side the stock or plush coats.

My question regards the comments I have seen made by owners, even a breeder or two, who have stated that the long haired GSD is more stable in temperament compared to the more standard coats.

How can that be? Other than the coat, everything else would be the same? Right? The long haired pup would have the same parents as the standard coated pups. They would be raised the same way by the breeder. And I would assume that they wouldn't live in their forever homes in such a different way that their very temperament would be impacted.

Are they THAT different form their standard coated litter-mates? Or is it a case of the "fuzzy" dog being perceived as friendlier, more approachable? In the animal shelter world it is well known that dogs with a lot of coat are adopted quicker than those with a slick coat. Just like black dogs are over looked in favor of those dogs that have more color. It is all about how the different dogs are perceived by potential adopters, and has absolutely nothing to do with actual suitability of one dog over another.

I can understand that the "Shiloh Shepherd" would be seen as a "GSD-lite" because if the other breeds added to their mix (I guess specifically to "improve" temperament). I totally get that part of it. But I just don't understand how the coat factor could impact temperament, too, in a purebred GSD.
Sheilah

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-30-2009, 10:58 PM

Re: Long Haired GSD Different?

Hi sit,stay
my first encounter with a long coat was almost 20 years ago. The breeder had repossed her and placed her with a friend. Toska was wonderful, mild, gentle and very trainable. My next encounter was a litter that I rescued. it had three long coats and 3 short coats. The long coats seemed to be more of a tease with the humans, more playfully playful, if that statement makes sense. They also seemed to be a bit more laid back in general. Now that I am breeding both coat types, I still find that to be the same.

I had a breeder, Inger Olavson, some of you might know her, she has been breeding for over 40 years, SchH. etc. Olympus Shepherds. She explained that the long coated genes are 'cleaner' than the short coated genes. Because they are recessive and because the long coats have been generally held out of the general breeding population. She was against breeding the long coat because it was not accepted by the german sv standards. (that will change in 2010)

I know that questions will be brought up about how can that happen with genes, etc. I am not a geneticist, I have done my share of study but to get an expert opinion it will have to be from someone else.

I do know that they seem to move differently and they bounce. Could be that the coat gives the appearance of different movement, kind of like a long skirt vs a short skirt on a woman? They seem to flow. But the bouncy???

Hope that helps?

Long and plush coated West German Showline and working lines
10 gsd's
4 domesic short haired cats
6 Arabian horses

9 gsd's over the Bridge

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-30-2009, 11:03 PM
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted By: sit,stayOr is it a case of the "fuzzy" dog being perceived as friendlier, more approachable?
Since there's no genetic reason why they'd be any different from their littermates, I can only guess that the public perception of cute fuzzy puppies makes it easier to socialize them, which can result in an adult dog that thinks people are wonderful. Even now my 4 year old boy Keefer is STILL referred to as "cute". How often do shepherds get called cute?!?!? Halo is almost 14 months old, and she gets gushed over all the time.

Few people know what they are, so they're not as subject to the preconceived notions that many people have about GDSs. Board members often say that people cross the street to avoid meeting their shepherds. People go out of their way to meet mine!

-Debbie-
Cava 1/6/18
Keefer 8/25/05-4/24/19 ~ The sweetest boy
Halo 11/9/08-6/17/18 ~ You left pawprints on our hearts
Dena 9/12/04-10/4/08 ~ Forever would have been too short
Cassidy 6/8/00-10/4/04
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-31-2009, 12:25 AM
Knighted Member

Z is much more laid back than Nadi. But she definitely has better nerves. He is gushy over people, she is more reserved.

Nadia - GSD -DOB 12-29-07
Zisso - GSD- DOB 9-16-07
Pepe & Kiki`my sweet kitties

Zisso is my heart~Nadia is my Love~My kitties bring me everything in between~Together they bring me Joy!
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-31-2009, 12:37 AM
Elite Member

I think it is perspective too.
My previous stock coat GSD's, people could care less about.
And now my long haired boys always get attention!

Danielle

Mace, Hexe and Blackjack
Along with Charlie, Oggy and Luna the cats
Plus Chickens, Ducks, Geese and Guinea fowl!
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-31-2009, 12:39 AM
Crowned Member

I'm partial to the long hairs. My first GSD, Tasha, was a long hair. I've had three total (all white). All three came from "mixed litters" - short & long hair. The only thing I've observed that is noticably different is that the long hairs take a little more grooming than the GSDs with shorter hair.

Gayle, Faith, Ledgie, Scooby
At the Bridge: Andy, Abbey, Tasha, Tex, Echo, Yukon, JR, Too, Niki, Bo, Ringer, Kelly, Honey, Mac, Slider & Bruiser
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-31-2009, 12:44 AM
Master Member

my sister had a LC Female, and she was a much better temperment, than that of my ryder...Ryder is wonderful but he is much more reserved....

Now i bred dachsunds and i can tell you there are three coat types, smooth, long and wire.

Long= very sweet,playful
Smooth= doesn't care for other people than its owners
Wire= the one i had was my baby and she was very protective but lord a lover...

Andrea.....

Love all my kids 2 and 4 legged.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-31-2009, 01:25 AM

I know genetically, there is something that can 'link' genes. My bio/genetics class was a long time ago but I know it was some thing about how when certain genes are very close together they often are expressed together. I know one example was blue eyes and blond hair. Two different genes cause these traits but because they are so close together, they are often passed on and expressed together. This explains it better: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genetic_linkage

This makes me wonder if there is some sort of genetic 'link' between a certain type of temperament and a long coat?
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-31-2009, 02:26 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: BMD0123I know genetically, there is something that can 'link' genes. My bio/genetics class was a long time ago but I know it was some thing about how when certain genes are very close together they often are expressed together. I know one example was blue eyes and blond hair. Two different genes cause these traits but because they are so close together, they are often passed on and expressed together.
That is true. It is due to crossing over of the alleles between chromatids. If the genes are close together on the same chromosome, they are more likely to be inherited together because it is less likely that crossing over will occur at loci between the two genes.

I think it could be possible for there to be a genetic link, but not enough is known about the genetic factor of temperament to know for sure.
It is also possible that long-coated GSDs tend to be better socialized than stock-coated dogs because they appear less intimidating to the general public and people tend to be more attracted to fuzzy/fluffy puppies.
I noticed with my foster LC, he got more attention and more people wanting to pet him than Bianca who is just as friendly. A lot of people also didn't realize he was a GSD.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jubal/Tesla (Beauceron) 3/14/14
Bianca HIC CGC TT (GSD) 4/24/04-10/23/12
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-31-2009, 12:31 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Thanks for the replies. I figured it was more about perception.
Sheilah
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page