Help! He won't leave me alone. - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-30-2009, 04:40 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Help! He won't leave me alone.

Gosh these winter-ish days are taking a toll on my relationship with Balto. He's so used to training and playing (and showing) with me all summer and fall, he doesn't understand why I don't want to go outside and play with him in the cold, dark and snow. LOL!

That's why I'm resolved to get a puppy! What better excuse.

So, I bought a hula hoop to teach the dogs some indoor tricks this winter. So far they are both afraid of it. But they get better every day. After all, there are cookies involved.

I also can't play tug with Balto indoors anymore because I removed the carpet and painted the subfloor. Now I just pull him around on the floor. Then I laugh at him and with one whip of his head - I lose! He gets all indignant like if I even imply that I beat him at tug. The nerve!

Well, its going to be a long 3 months. Maybe I can get them to walk on the treadmill. But I have a feeling it will be a contest and I'll have two dogs fighting over who is pushing whom on it. (Ciana likes to show off because she learns faster than Balto and likes to show me (or him) how it's done.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-30-2009, 04:56 PM
Elite Member

Re: Help! He won't leave me alone.

We do the hula hoop trick indoors too.....my daughters says if I can teach her to use it correctly she will clean my house for a year.....LOL Heck, I cant even use the stupid thing correctly...how would I get a dog to!

Betsy

Ava GSD 3.5yrs

Champ 1985, Heidi 2000

post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-30-2009, 05:08 PM
Master Member

You can teach a dog to hula?
Just kidding. Mine both jump thru it. But they don't seem to enjoy, it's more of a mere compliance type thing.
Mental stimulation is good when you can't be outside. There's those treat dispensers. Dog puzzles. Trick training. Mine loves to unstuff her stuffed toys. I pick up all the fluff and put it back inside so the fun never ends. Looks like it snowed inside with all the fluff. How about a big bone to keep a dog busy?

Jiva / GSD 3 yr
Coco / MIX 8 yr
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-30-2009, 05:26 PM
Knighted Member

Send a message via Yahoo to VectorSketcher

DoggieDad has some great suggestions, I know the destuffing of animals is always fun for us here, and it keeps my two pretty busy, I have even gotten my girl to bring me all the fluff so I can stick it back into which ever animal she has gutted.

-michelle-
Riddick-4yr GSD
Rogue-1yr GSD
Bishop-10yr Cat
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-30-2009, 06:48 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: doggydog Mine loves to unstuff her stuffed toys. I pick up all the fluff and put it back inside so the fun never ends. Looks like it snowed inside with all the fluff.
THIS IS SUCH A GOOD IDEA!

Ashley,
proud owner of:
Jerzey, Bi-color GSD. 4/23/08
Koji, spotted shelter kitty.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-30-2009, 07:02 PM
Master Member

Haha. I don't always think it's such a good idea. I keep picking up the same fluff over and over. It's never done! But it beats buying a new stuffed animal every other day.
I always wondered if she'd still love her stuffed if it were flat. I let one go flat and she then shredded it. It was a Po. The only part left is his plastic face and that face is still her #1 toy. It never stays in the toy box for long. It's kind of disturbing looking. Just this face on the floor. It turns up in a lot of weird places.
K. Gotta go clean up more fluff. Time to restuff the dino.

Jiva / GSD 3 yr
Coco / MIX 8 yr
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-30-2009, 07:25 PM
Elite Member

I know the feeling, my old guy is content to be in on a cold dark night, but Zuzu is wanting fun. To keep our sanity, I put on my boots and woolies, pack the dogs in my car and take them to a schoolyard that has some lighting---I live near several but I'm fortunate for that.

I can let them off leash and bring balls to throw, or I go running in the snow with them--it's better than a visit to the gym! I HATE it...don't get me wrong, it's cold, dark and I want to be on the couch, but I feel obligated and I have places I can do this.

If the school fields are just too dark, I drive them to the nearby village where the streets are well-lit and go for a 30 minute walk/jog.

If I'm just too beat, it's a game of soccer in the yard.

The only thing that keeps us in is a hard rain. Blech. Then I get The Stare from Zuzu like I put the rain there for her misery.

Can't WAIT for spring...or at least some sunlight after 5.

Doggie dad has some good ideas, maybe I should try them and put my boots away a few nights a week.....

Jennifer

Aik vom Haus Gold "The Rock" Age 11

Zuzu--gsd DOB 4-21-09. Naughty n' nice

Lucy, Black GSD 2/1997-12-25-2008.
" T'was Heaven with you Here."

Dweezil, WGSD. RIP, 13
Moon, WGSD. RIP , 12
Shining found treasures both.

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-30-2009, 08:15 PM
Master Member

BTW, it's doggy DOG. Not doggy DAD. Not that I care. Just wouldn't want anyone to think of him when I make silly posts that he wouldn't want to be given credit for, lol.

Jiva / GSD 3 yr
Coco / MIX 8 yr
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-30-2009, 08:23 PM
Knighted Member

I like to play the "find your ball" game...
Put dog in other room or in a "stay" where they can't see you,
Hide ball somewhere in house,
Release dog to find ball,
Repeat!

Silence is Golden ~ Duct tape is Silver.

FO UCD ARCHX RLVX3 RL1X RL2X Joobie Toozday VCD1 HT RA OA OAJ NF CD-H JJ-N CTL1 TT CGC
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-30-2009, 09:49 PM
Master Member

Oh yeah. That's a good one. We hide little treats in those plastic easter eggs. The dogs love to go hunting for those. And if you get very creative hiding it can take some time to find them all. For some reason, they've never realized that they can open them easily but rather carry them and drop them on my lap so I can open. They eat the treat and then run to find the next one. It's a pretty cute game.

Jiva / GSD 3 yr
Coco / MIX 8 yr
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page