best small dog & GS combo - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 51 (permalink) Old 12-28-2009, 02:42 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

best small dog & GS combo

Sometimes I think about adding another dog to our house. I think Ruby would really like to have another dog buddy around. But we have a very small house, and I think perhaps another GS would be a whole lot of dog for the place. So I was starting to consider a small dog.
Does anyone have any suggestions on some small dog pairings with GS's that you've known that work out well? Or just ideas?
Chihuahuas are cute,but awful small and I want Ruby to be able to play without snapping anything into tiny pieces So no teacup sizes for me.
Jack Russels, I hear, are VERY rambunctious. Not sure if that's what we are looking for either.
What do you think of Poodles? People either love or hate them.
My DH is cant stand boston terriers, he says they can be jerks. (awww!)
I'm pretty much looking for a sturdy, personable breed. I'd be looking to rescue too.

Just an idea... let me know your thoughts please!

Fur Mom to Miss Ruby, Zora the Exlpora cat and Falon a.k.a Big Boy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 51 (permalink) Old 12-28-2009, 02:48 PM

Re: best small dog & GS combo

Corgi's have similar characteristics to GSDs and bred well, are really nice dogs.

Katie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 51 (permalink) Old 12-28-2009, 02:49 PM
Moderator who has gone to the dogs

Border Collie.

Lakota, Chimo, Tika, Rayne, Kanuck, Jethro and Keyzah

My Angels forever in my heart and watching over us:
Phoenix 9/07
Kaylee Cheyenne 5/09
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 51 (permalink) Old 12-28-2009, 02:49 PM
Crowned Member

hmmmm...our small dog is actually a boxer that was very malnourished when we got her at 9 weeks old. She's only 42lbs. How small do you want?

SG Seger vom Sitz vd Hose, IPO3, AD
G Faren vom Warkonhaus, Monkey in Training
post #5 of 51 (permalink) Old 12-28-2009, 02:49 PM
Crowned Member

I like Corgi's!! They would be tough enough to take the rough play and not as hyper as some small breeds.

SG Seger vom Sitz vd Hose, IPO3, AD
G Faren vom Warkonhaus, Monkey in Training
post #6 of 51 (permalink) Old 12-28-2009, 02:50 PM
Crowned Member

i once had two grown shepherds in a 600sqft, one bedroom apt. in the living room we had a couch on one wall, two recliners in front of it with a coffee table in between, and the television in front, on the other wall. we would sit on the couch and watch tv with a shep in each recliner chair (or vice versa). it is even possible to do two sheps and two people in a double bed, tho a queen or king is better if you have room. oh, just get a small shep, cause once you've had a shep it's gonna be awful hard to find a dog of another breed that you'll like as much.

jmho.

mom to the cashman
the rescues...jeni-take-a-ride, and the c-monster
shangri la's seraphina blue (RIP 8/1/15)
hearthside's cinderfella (RIP 4/20/09)
shep von bellefontaine (RIP 6/9/10)
cricket (african grey RIP 7/13)
voodoo lily (dsh RIP 8/15)
post #7 of 51 (permalink) Old 12-28-2009, 02:51 PM
Crowned Member

i do want to add that everyone i've ever known who was satisfied with another breed besides a sheppie had a corgi.

mom to the cashman
the rescues...jeni-take-a-ride, and the c-monster
shangri la's seraphina blue (RIP 8/1/15)
hearthside's cinderfella (RIP 4/20/09)
shep von bellefontaine (RIP 6/9/10)
cricket (african grey RIP 7/13)
voodoo lily (dsh RIP 8/15)
post #8 of 51 (permalink) Old 12-28-2009, 02:51 PM
Master Member

On this subject, why dont you try your local shelter and try to find an outgoing medium sized dog/pup that you might be able to rescue. I would think beagle, corgi, cocker mix or something easy to maintain such as a breed known to not shed much. I would talk to them and let them know what you are looking for and see if they might have something with the personality you are seeking. Good luck!

Ricci: Sable GSD Born 7/26/2010
Cleo: Dilute Ragdoll Kitten-9-10
Apu: Lovie- 4-10
Charlie and Peewee Cockatiels 1-10
Hercules: Ocelot- Rainbow Bridge 9/10
Bob: Aussie- rainbow bridge Feb 07
post #9 of 51 (permalink) Old 12-28-2009, 02:57 PM
Crowned Member

Mixes! First find the smaller dog breed you like, then go on petfinder and find a mix. Or for PB, too, Petfinder. That way you can find a dog your dog really clicks with. It's fun to watch when that happens with two dogs.

I had Bella and Kramer, brought Bruno in (Schipperke-Shepherd mix, like mix perfection other than the barking and do wish he'd gotten a little more of the GSD biddability ) and they were like OMG! THERE HE IS! Like they'd been waiting for him. He was about 6 months old.

Schipperkes really are great but can be a little pushy with large dogs, particularly the males, and are not great off lead for the most part. Bruno's first time off leash he ended up in a corn field which I had thought was no where near where we were at the time, but...he took off for that instead of running in the giant field we were in.

I love poodles (but not their fur-kind of weird to me). I think with the right GSD a poodle is an outstanding combo. Bella loves them too. She was fostered with one and when she sees one, gets very happy. The poodles and Bella would always play after obedience, and honestly out of the large class the bunch of them were absolutely the smartest and most well behaved in combination.

I like Spitzy/northern/ancient type breeds, but there is some mind of their own thing happening with them. Ava is a BC-Chow mix (I think) and man! Creepy primate intelligence mixed with deviousness...she is great.

A GSD is so different, I think, from other breeds, in a good way. But another breed can spice things up or calm things down, depending on what you like.

Going to a shelter or rescue you will have so many choices and your Ruby and you together will be able to make the decision. It will be great. Good luck!

post #10 of 51 (permalink) Old 12-28-2009, 03:00 PM
Knighted Member

If l ever got another small dog I get I was thinking Corgi, I love my Jack, but she is very dominating and would rather play with humans than other dogs. My two GSD try to play with her most of the time she does not want to play with them.

Heidi, human mom to
Daisy, 6 yr JRT
Bella, 3 yr GSD
Bo, 2 yr GSD
Rest in Peace,
Kasey, GSD Shelter 8/96-12/07 at the Bridge
Patches, CS Shelter 4/93-4/05 at the Bridge
Keisha, GSD 12/87-10/96 at the Bridge
Tarsha, GSD my sweet 16 BD at the Bridge
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page