Why arent people more careful??? (vent) - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-28-2009, 11:29 AM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Why arent people more careful??? (vent)

(myself included!) I have a neighbor that has 4 chis and an elderly yellow lab (appropriately named bear, he's a bit grumpy). They keep them in a fenced back yard, the chis have gotten out before. So this morning, my furry alarm clock gets me up, drags me to the door and requests her morning constitutional. She seems excited, but hey, whats new, right?? Anyway, she sits nicely, I step outside and release her to go outside.......but I didnt notice the lab and 3 of the chis in my backyard until she started sprinting towards them. OMG I was terrified, Ava has no chi experience and I was so afraid of her prey drive. Well she actually went towards the lab, and discovered he wasnt that friendly, by now I'm awake......yeah I know! I am proud to say, I was able to call her back to the patio and put her in a down stay (okay she wined a bit, and even tried the comando crawl a couple times as well) not bad all things considered. Well, the chis were scattered all over the back yard and too scared to to come up to me with Ava out. So I put Ava back in the house, these poor dogs were so cold, the were all shivering from the cold and once Ava was back in, they were huddleing up against the brick on the back of the house (that is where the sun had warmed it a bit). Well I go over and they are skittish (of course). I'm in my jammies, trying to figure out what to do, I dont see a car in their driveway. The lab was hanging out back in the owners front yard just watching the activity, I think he has a fear of people. Anyway, it didnt take long for all the chis to come up and decide if nothing else, I was warm. The little liver colored one (Pixie) was very sweet actually, there was an unaltered male that I was a bit concerned with, he seemed to be the leader and was a bit put out when the other two came up to me. Well, I decided that maybe the car was in the garage, it isnt usually, but these little guys were cold and it was either get them home or take them in the house to get them warm. The neighbor was home, and of course said "Oh, I guess they got out, was the gate open?" Uh no, gate was closed. well, he called them as I was walking off, and all of them went in the house, sulky like, except for the little liver chi, which ran behind my feet and wouldnt budge. I tried to move aside and she would just run back around to place herself behind me again. She didnt want to leave me for some reason. Anyway, I had to pick that one up and carry it over to the guy. Hmmmm makes me wonder.

I can say, I was pleased Ava responded to me with a pack of chis in her backyard. It was obvious she didnt want to leave me to herd these chis by myself.

Why are these chis left outside??? These little guys were cold!!! It's winter for gods sake! Oh well, maybe I'll ask next time if the little liver one needs a home...

Betsy

Ava GSD 3.5yrs

Champ 1985, Heidi 2000

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-28-2009, 11:43 AM
Elite Member

Re: Why arent people more careful??? (vent)

I'm probably showing my ignorance, but what is a chi?

My furs are not in storage, nor draped across the bed. They're peering out the kennel door just waiting to be fed.
(Anonymous)
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-28-2009, 11:53 AM Thread Starter
Elite Member

chihuahua, sorry

Betsy

Ava GSD 3.5yrs

Champ 1985, Heidi 2000

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-28-2009, 12:41 PM
Crowned Member

Poor little guys. This is not a good time of year for them.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-28-2009, 12:48 PM
Crowned Member

at Wal-mart on saturday, a min-pin was sitting in the back of a pickup. poor thing looked more than half frozen...
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-28-2009, 12:54 PM
Crowned Member

I would go over and tell the neighbor that you are concerned about the little dogs getting into your yard while your dog is out. Tell them that you are afraid your dog would want to play with the little ones and, seeing that your dog is MUCH bigger, the little one might get hurt.

That would serve two purposes. First it MIGHT give the neighbor a wake-up call that they need to monitor their dogs more.

Second, and more importantly, you have expressed your concern and if something DOES happen you can say that you warned them and YOU are not at fault.

After MANY years of dealing with catching and returning dogs to people that don't seem to care that the dog was loose in the first place I have changed my ways. Now, unless I know the owner and know it truly was an accident that the dog was loose, I catch the dog, bring it home and call AC.

The only way these people learn, it seems, it through their wallets. One or two 'loose dog' fines and maybe they will get the hint.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-28-2009, 01:05 PM
Crowned Member

Poor little things. I have ignorant neighbors in the back yard with a pair of them - they drive Otto, Morgan and the terrier next door nuts with all their yapping. Yep, they're outside all the time too.

-Jenn

Venus of Crooked Creek 1/26/13
Otto von Hena-C 05/23/08
Morgan Donnermond 08/04/01 to 9/28/12 Long Live the Queen!

I have duct tape and I am not afraid to use it.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-28-2009, 03:28 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

I did mention that they seemed quite afraid of Ava and that I was suprised to see them out in this weather (granted we are in MS, but it did freeze last night). I also told them I think the little ones are cold.........do you know they put them right back outside? I hope they at least have a heated doggy house or something. But somehow I doubt it. We have another neighbor with a poodle thing named "charlie brown" that constantly comes over into our yard to do its business. Ava doesnt use their yards as toilets, I wonder why it's okay for them to use hers!

Betsy

Ava GSD 3.5yrs

Champ 1985, Heidi 2000

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page