Acting Odd - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-27-2009, 10:39 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Acting Odd

I don't know where to post this really so if it needs to be moved, please do so!

Today I met up with John and his black Lab, Shelby, out on some military protperty that civilians are actually allowed to go on to walk the dogs. I took my 2 30' leads so they could have some freedom to roam, but can't trust their recall to let them off leash. John's Lab, was always ahead of us, so Z and Nadi were constantly pulling on the leads. We didn't go far because I was getting very irritated with them, and with John for not getting his Lab to stay closer to us so they wouldn't pull. I finally got to the point on our way back that I put them both back on regular leashes and made them heel. By this time my shoulder was killing me. I had told John that it hurt, and had asked him to get Shelby to stay closer but his response was this is what they always do out there. Fine for them, but I was wishing I had not gone at all.

Now for the problem....we have been home for hours and Z will NOT go out! Normally when I go out to smoke, both dogs go out with me, and as soon as I let them out they charge to the back yard like maniacs. Z will not go out at all now. Is it possible that all the pulling strained his neck? He was wearing his Martingale. Or perhaps all the pulling just really wore him out? I am going to keep a close eye on him because I am worried. This is so abnormal! Nadi is no worse for the wear and she was pulling harder than he was, so I am worried about my Zman. On Christmas Eve, someone nearby was letting off fireworks(Yes, Even on Christmas Eve around here )and Z is terrified of them, so he has been a bit more clingy the past few nights. Could that be a part of it?

Thanks for any input in advance! I am being a worry wart I know, but they are my babies!

Nadia - GSD -DOB 12-29-07
Zisso - GSD- DOB 9-16-07
Pepe & Kiki`my sweet kitties

Zisso is my heart~Nadia is my Love~My kitties bring me everything in between~Together they bring me Joy!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-27-2009, 11:00 PM
Crowned Member

Re: Acting Odd

I think you hit it with the fireworks. If he's seen fireworks a few nights last summer then they go away for a while then they come back on xmas eve, I could see where he'd be afraid to go outside after dark.

-Jenn

Venus of Crooked Creek 1/26/13
Otto von Hena-C 05/23/08
Morgan Donnermond 08/04/01 to 9/28/12 Long Live the Queen!

I have duct tape and I am not afraid to use it.
post #3 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-27-2009, 11:17 PM
Banned

i hope you're not to sore from the walk and i hope
your dog is ok. you knew before you went on the walk
how your dogs behave. why did you go?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-28-2009, 12:07 AM
Crowned Member

I could see it being any of the options that you listed.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-28-2009, 12:57 AM
Elite Member

I am betting on the fireworks too. Z will probably be in a mad rush to go out at day break! Hope you and he both feel better tomorrow. It is hard when they can't tell us what is bothering them

Benedict GSD 4/13/09
Pippin GR 2/6/14

Waiting at the Bridge
Eli GSD
Chopper APBT
Raphael GSD

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-28-2009, 02:29 AM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: SunCzarinaI think you hit it with the fireworks. If he's seen fireworks a few nights last summer then they go away for a while then they come back on xmas eve, I could see where he'd be afraid to go outside after dark.
I think that is it too. He seems to be scared to go out in the yard when it is dark. Never before did it bother him, until this. I was so worried that he was hurt from the walk, but doesn't seem to be at all. He just went out real quick with Nadi, did their usual barking at the night, and came dashing right back to the door. This leads me to another question tho....we hear it all the time, that dogs live in the moment...this is not living in the moment...this is living in fear of something that happened several nights ago. So he is obviously remembering the scary booms of the fireworks and not 'living in the moment' of a clear, peaceful evening, right?

DoggieDad..as for why I went...I was hoping to expose them to new things, new environments, socializing them(with the Lab) and perhaps give us all a change from the dull drum days we have at home. Sure they can't be trusted off leash, but there is no reason they can't be on the long lines. I have taken them to the river on the same long lines and while they did get tangled it was not the mess it was today. Part of the mess today was their excitement at being in a new place, and zig zagging around. The real problem was having the Lab so far ahead of us, and we could not keep up, causing my dogs to pull on the leads. I am quite sure had my friend simply called his dog back to us, it would have solved the problem. I never ever have this problem when I walk them alone at the park. They heel nicely and they stop when I stop, they get their time to sniff around and we never struggle like we did today. I would have never known how they would do in this environment had I NOT tried, and I bet that they would be 100% better if I took them alone tomorrow without the lab, which I might well do, just to prove my point!

Zisso - GSD- DOB 9-16-07

Zisso is my heart~Nadia is my Love~My kitties bring me everything in between~Together they bring me Joy!
post #7 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-28-2009, 11:14 AM
Elite Member

. This leads me to another question tho....we hear it all the time, that dogs live in the moment...this is not living in the moment...this is living in fear of something that happened several nights ago. So he is obviously remembering the scary booms of the fireworks and not 'living in the moment' of a clear, peaceful evening, right?

Even though the "live in the moment" they do not forget what has happened in the past which is both good and bad. We do not want them to forget good experiences, things they have learned, but bad experiences stay with them and are easily triggered. My former GSD had a scary experience at the vet and started hating to get in the car because the past few times he gotten in the car was to go to the vet. I took him to"cool" places in the car
like Pet Smart, the park a few times and he became fine about the car. After a few good experiences at the vet he was fine there too. Probably their most recent or strongest memory becomes their "in the moment " reaction.
Perhaps start slowly giving Z some good experiences at night, a special treat, or game so when he goes out at night that will be his "in the moment" memory.

Definitely try to protect him from New Years Eve Fireworks. Our neighborhood gets a bit crazy.

Benedict GSD 4/13/09
Pippin GR 2/6/14

Waiting at the Bridge
Eli GSD
Chopper APBT
Raphael GSD

post #8 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-28-2009, 12:11 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Now for my next question...how can I protect him from the noise of New Years Eve? We l ive in a neighborhood that will definitely get crazy loud and I don't have anywhere to go to spare him. I guess I could see if he could spend the night at Johns house. That would be weird but I would do it for him in a flash. Not sure what his neighborhood will be like tho. Will have to ask. Last night I could not even coax Z to go out to play fetch with his wubba at 11pm with Nadi playing with her Cuz's. I am sure within a week or two of NY Eve he will be back to his old self, but until then....poor guy! I just want what is best for him!

Zisso - GSD- DOB 9-16-07

post #9 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-28-2009, 11:24 PM
Banned

i'm not sure what point you're proving by walking
your dogs without the Lab distraction. don't you want your dogs
to behave on and off the leash when they're
around another dog and in different enviroments?

i would work with each dog individually untill i had
them under control.

don't wait untill it's the 4th of July or New Years to work
with your dogs around fire crackers, fire works or gun shots.

[quote]Originally Posted By: Zisso
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunCzarina
I would have never known how they would do in this environment had I NOT tried, and I bet that they would be 100% better if I took them alone tomorrow without the lab, which I might well do, just to prove my point!
post #10 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-29-2009, 12:31 AM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: ZissoNow for my next question...how can I protect him from the noise of New Years Eve? We l ive in a neighborhood that will definitely get crazy loud and I don't have anywhere to go to spare him. I guess I could see if he could spend the night at Johns house. That would be weird but I would do it for him in a flash. Not sure what his neighborhood will be like tho. Will have to ask. Last night I could not even coax Z to go out to play fetch with his wubba at 11pm with Nadi playing with her Cuz's. I am sure within a week or two of NY Eve he will be back to his old self, but until then....poor guy! I just want what is best for him!

I was hoping someone else could have a good suggestion anout fireworks. All I can suggest it to be home with my dogs, make it a fun night for them and keep things as normal as possible. Do they make doggie ear plugs?

Benedict GSD 4/13/09
Pippin GR 2/6/14

Waiting at the Bridge
Eli GSD
Chopper APBT
Raphael GSD

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page