Myth #1 about GSDs - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-27-2009, 02:39 PM Thread Starter

Myth #1 about GSDs

Myth 1:

I have small children, so I want a puppy.

Without a doubt, this is the most common reason people want a puppy. A sweet, small puppy just seems like the best choice for sweet, small children.

You know that cute Kodak commercial with the puppies climbing all over the giggling little boy? Have you ever noticed how short it is? That’s because they could only film for a few seconds before the welts rose, the blood dripped, and the boy began to scream for his mother. Puppies have needle-teeth that they happily sink into anyone who walks by. They also have sharp nails that scratch when they jump up -- and on the little one, those front feet land right around his face.

Puppies leave "presents" that your toddler always seems to find before you do. Puppies wake your children during the night. And a puppy doesn’t know the difference between his stuffed toy and Emma’s Piglet that she MUST have to fall asleep.

And suppose you get a puppy when little Billy is 2. In six months, Billy will be about 1 inch taller and 3 pounds heavier. However, the 8 month old puppy will now be as tall as Billy and outweigh him by 30 pounds. And those baby teeth will have been replaced by big snappers that need to chew.

Of course, puppies and small children do successfully co-habitate. But, in our experience, your child will go through far less Neosporin and Band-Aids with a calmer 2 + year old dog who is road-tested with children.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that will love you more than you love yourself." ~ Josh Billings
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-27-2009, 02:46 PM
Elite Member

Re: Myth #1 about GSDs

Oh man, isnt that the truth!!!

Betsy

Ava GSD 3.5yrs

Champ 1985, Heidi 2000

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-27-2009, 02:49 PM
dOg
Elite Member

I don't think this myth is breed specific.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-27-2009, 02:52 PM
The Administrator from the Great White North, eh?

I've seen this somewhere before . . . could you post the link and mention where it came from?

Lucia

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2009-2018

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
Rottweiler/Hairy Dog mix?? 2004-2015
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-27-2009, 02:54 PM Thread Starter

I sure can.

http://www.gsdrescue.org/adopt_gsdmyths.html

"A dog is the only thing on earth that will love you more than you love yourself." ~ Josh Billings
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-27-2009, 02:56 PM
Crowned Member

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-27-2009, 02:57 PM
Crowned Member

I thought it was against board rules to take something from a website and post it without the reference as if it were your own words. It has to do with those pesky Copyright Violations!

SG Seger vom Sitz vd Hose, IPO3, AD
G Faren vom Warkonhaus, Monkey in Training
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-27-2009, 03:19 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: Jax08I thought it was against board rules to take something from a website and post it without the reference as if it were your own words. It has to do with those pesky Copyright Violations!
You're right, looks like Castlemaid took care of it though

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-27-2009, 03:41 PM
Banned

My first solo dog walk was with a GSD guard dog.

I was probably a kindergartner, perhaps younger. My grandfather got the guard dog because he had threats against his life because he was a metal shop foreman for the Michigan State prison. My grandfather had a heart attack or stroke so he had to retire and the dog had to go because the dog made it difficult for the doctor to make house calls (that should tell you how long ago the story took place) and my grandfather and grandmother could no longer handle the dog. So my mom and dad and me got our first GSD.

I had walked the dog once or twice with my mother at the park. I practiced once or twice in the back yard walking the dog. My mother had always been afraid to let me go to the park by myself; but since we got a dog, she let me go almost any time as long as I had the dog with me. So my first solo trip to the park was my first solo dog walk.

At very first at the dog walk went very well; but as we suspected the dog became exuberant once he realized that I was taking him to the park. The dog dragged me about 50 to 100 feet on blacktop. I would not let go of the leash because I didn't want him to get away, and I didn't want him to learn that he could dominate over me, and we had to cross a fairly busy road and I didn't want him to get hit. When he finally stopped I had a fair amount of road rash; scraped hands, scraped elbows, scraped knees, and ripped jeans. He came back and licked my wounds. He never dragged me again. It's as if he accepted my position as Alpha above him and as if he realized he hurt me. I didn't punish him, I didn't go running home to mommy about my scrapes or torn clothes; I continued on the walk and both me and the dog were happy because we seemed to come to a silent agreement and we both had become respectful friends and our agreement meant more freedom to both of us.

On the leash he still yanked around adults pretty radically, he yanked me around a fair amount but since that first time he was always more gentle with his exuberance while I had him on the leash.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-27-2009, 03:52 PM
Elite Member

What a great story, love the understanding and acceptance of our beloved GSD's!!!

Betsy

Ava GSD 3.5yrs

Champ 1985, Heidi 2000

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page