Chihuahua Concern - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-26-2009, 09:52 PM Thread Starter

Chihuahua Concern

Wasn't sure where to put this topic. Do any of you have any Chi experience? I'm getting an 8 week old chi in a couple weeks and the breeder starts them on the wee wee pads. I heard these can cause bad housebreaking problems in the long run and would never normally even think of using them...but it is very cold and nasty here in IL and I don't want him to freeze every time he needs to relieve himself.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-26-2009, 10:03 PM
Moderator who has gone to the dogs

Re: Chihuahua Concern

Some people with tiny dogs like Chi's opt to use the pads for life or a litterbox like a cat. Yes, they make doggy litter too. Not sure that is the route I would take but again I don't intend to get a dog that will always be that small. Nothing against them, just not my preference.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Lakota, Chimo, Tika, Rayne, Kanuck, Jethro and Keyzah

My Angels forever in my heart and watching over us:
Phoenix 9/07
Kaylee Cheyenne 5/09
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-26-2009, 10:04 PM
Elite Member

8 weeks is (IMO) too young for a chi to go home.
You can litter train the puppy, which would be easier than puppy pads and probably less expensive.
If you use the clumping cat litter it would most likely be easier to clean, and you do have to try your best to clean it right after the pup goes. Otherwise the pup will go elsewhere, even if you place them in the box.
I wouldnt use cat litter for a young pup though, they might eat it and have it expand etc. You can get wood chips, or google other options because I don`t know how effective the woodchips would be. Or just put newspaper in the bottom of the box!

Kaity, owned by

Vida - 6 years GSD
Hype - 3 years GSD
Cinq - 1 year bengal
Sunshine - 7 years tabby

Not forgotten, Nasa, bengal, 16 weeks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-26-2009, 10:07 PM
Elite Member

My daughter owns two.
Our Rescue has place several.
Peeing in the house is a trait we see and hear about, alot.
Especially in the cold months.

We keep pee pads down always. We have for years.
If they are going to pee in the house, we would rather they went to the door, and pee on the pads vs peeing any place they want.

They still pee outside, but they are not opposed to going in the house if it is too cold.

We also made a place for the small dogs to pee on the porch / deck. We use it in the winter. It is a piece of plywood with 1x1 border around the outside, and pea gravel in it. When it gets used a few times I wash the gravel and reuse it.

Good luck and enjoy your new pup.

: )

Paula L
OGSDR
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-26-2009, 10:11 PM
Crowned Member

my SIL has a couple who use a litterbox. One is a hairless crested, she also used a ferret cage instead of a crate when they were pups.

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-26-2009, 10:14 PM

I don't have a Chihuahua but I have several friends who do.

There seem to be 2 categories- those who are housebroken and those who are not. It seems to me that the people who start with the pee pads never leave them. Mostly because to housebreak a small dog takes many many times to go out. Many people do not have that kind of time, or the inclination. It's just easier to clean up the pee pad/litter/accident etc.

The people I know with housebroken Chihuahuas have the time to take them out ALOT when they are young. I asked my friend with her Chi about it once and she said
Quote:
Quote:Leakey was pretty good, but I take my dogs out a lot! When he was crated and left too long, he'd leak when I let him out. Still will, poor fella. The big trick is to be really diligent on taking them out VERY often and not letting them run free in the house
I think it helped also that he's not one of the teeny tiny Chihuahuas either. I have to say though that I think her Chi is probably one of the coolest around...He retrieves the SchH1 dumbbell.

I would also be concerned about the pee pads with my other dogs...They are designed to encourage urination.

Bianka vom Eisernen Loewen IPO3, CGC, TC 1-3-08
Cade vom Eisernen Loewen IPO1, CGC 3-25-09
D'Artagnan (Tag) vom Eisernen Loewen BH 2-2-10
G Aiko von Burkndeiros SchH 3, IPO3, FH, TC, KKL2 9-17-02 (Retired)

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-26-2009, 10:15 PM
Crowned Member

I know some use litter pan/potty pads more in the winter months as Chis don't do well in temps below 30F. In warmer months they take them out and encourage outdoor pottying more.

If you have a small dog the house training can be different from larger dogs. I think it can be confusing for them to potty outside and inside, but what are you going to do with the little bugger in our freezing temps and winds?

My grandmother's were pretty good at using proper place indoors but not always. I guess I just sorta figure it kinda goes with the territory with these itty bitties.

Do you have a garage or basement? My friend put a little x pen in her garage with cedar shavings in it. Her little Yorkie goes out there when it is bad weather. She has to do a lot of owner lead pottying but he will sometimes ask to go out to the garage. Is he 100%? No.

Carla and The Pack
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-26-2009, 10:21 PM
Crowned Member

My medium-sized mixed breed is thin with just about no fat, and certainly no undercoat. I do have a good coat for her, and when I keep the house cooler, she wears a sweater indoors now that she is getting older. At least with a chi, I bet they make all sorts of coats and jackets to keep her warm. For Indy, it's often difficult to find something that fits her.

I think I would try to get her used to the cold at a young age if I could.

(I love the pic of the Chi retrieving!)

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-26-2009, 10:30 PM Thread Starter

Thank you all for your replies. This will be my absolute first small dog. I've always had nothing smaller than 60lbs.

I'm thinking along the same lines-that going inside the house AND outside would be confusing.

The puppy will be crate trained, all of my dogs are, and as for not letting them run free...well that is another thing I am against. My house has three computers and several gaming systems so cords are all over, until they are trustworthy I don't let them off lead in the house. Pups are tethered to me or in the crate. From there we slowly work to being free.

I don't have a garage or any place like that to go but I do have a back deck. I wonder if I could set something out there right outside the door so he doesn't have to hardly go out there. Easier on the both of us and he can start getting used to going outside to potty. Wonder if an old rabbit cage tray filled with something ( like dirt or something ) would work.

I've also read that you can cut the toe off of a sock and slip it over them as a mini coat so that might help. Since he'll be so tiny at first it might be hard to find something that fits.

With my GSD's I always said "Go outside." And when they did do it: "Good outside!" to associate them with it and now they will go on command-even if it's a couple drops, it really tickles people. Lol. Hopefully the chi can learn to understand that as well.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-26-2009, 10:44 PM
Crowned Member

The little dogs can learn. You have to be very proactive and you may surprised how often that teeny-tiny bladder has to go!!

I am going to get one of the little dogs someday. The chihuahua can be a lot of dog and can very trainable. I fostered one for awhile and he was way fun to train. I think a lot of people who get them don't have the inclination to train, but darn they are cute if you do work with them.

Carla and The Pack
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page