Unfriendly rottie at spay clinic and owner clueles - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-22-2009, 02:13 PM Thread Starter

Unfriendly rottie at spay clinic and owner clueles

This am I took my doxie rescue for his Christmas present aka neutering. I had to wait for the tech. I use the ASPCA clinic .

There is a BIG sign by the front door that says to "Please leave your pet in your car until you fill out the paperwork"

In comes this large ( fat ) rottie mix female dragging a small Asian woman. The dog was nearly as big as the lady. The dog was totally out of control. The owner straddled her and dragged/pushed her to the corner away from the other dogs. The dog is barking and lunging at the other dogs. There is no way the lady could control the dog and fill out the paperwork.

After about 5 minutes the receptionist comes over and tells the owner to please take your dog back to your car until the paperwork is finished. So out another door goes the owner pulling and dragging the rottie.

The tech comes and gets Rusty. Grand daughter and I go to car and out in the parking lot is get this.

The rottie is in a wire crate in the back of a small pickup truck,!!! At 8:30 the temperature was 29-can you imagine what the wind chill was for the dog as it came down the highway/road. And since the truck was one space away from my car I can see that the crate is not tied down to the truck bed. Jeeze-some people just do not need a dog!!!

Bungee 6/1996 - 01/2009 * Dane/lab mix
Sassy of Rosehall and Black Magic 4/13/09 GSD
Copper 1998 * Redbone Hound*
Buster 6/2008* cat
Prissy 1990-2010 *cat

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-22-2009, 02:40 PM
Crowned Member

Re: Unfriendly rottie at spay clinic and owner clueles

At least she is getting her spayed.

Not everyone who owns dog take them to pet stores, and training classes. Nor do they roam internet sites and learn about their breed and dogs in general. Nor do they become members of dog clubs, etc.

What you saw was an average dog owner with a dog that stays at home all the time. She had to get her to the spay clinic, so she through the crate they had for her in the back of the pick up. For a five minute ride, it was a heck of a lot better than just tying her back there.

29 is not all that cold and if the crate was up behind the cab, it was not going to get too much drag, especially if she was only driving in town -- 25-35mph.

Again, at least she brought her in to be spayed.

This is your average family pet. Not a major nut case dog person like most of us on this site. I really believe that we make up only a tiny minority of dog owners out there.

Odie, Joy-Joy
Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-22-2009, 03:51 PM

I grew up my entire life with dogs. We had a cocker spaniel and a GSD. They didn't get walked often, and 95% of their time was spent in a backyard if they wanted to be outside. We took them camping, and on some road trips, but other than that? Normal family dogs. My father didn't even like them. He grew up believing dogs lived outside, but he relented simply because they were dogs I loved, BUT they were still second class citizens.
Still, I cannot imagine my Dad putting a dog in a wire crate in the back of his truck in 29 degree weather. Sorry, but I call shenanigans on that. "Normal" people don't do that.

Bear- Rescue GSD
Long stock coat
Bear's Philosophy? If you can't play with it or eat it, pee on it and walk away!

All that is gold does not glitter; not all those that wander are lost.
-Tolkien, 1954

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-22-2009, 04:51 PM
Crowned Member

Well, I live in farm country. Summer and Winter dogs are toted around in the back of pick up trucks. Guess what? The dog LOVES riding in the back. They get all excited and jump in there.

IF this person was only driving a few minutes to get there, I do not think she should be crucified.

No matter what they do, some people would be crucified on this board.

As for having dogs as a kid going on family vacations and road trips????

We went camping many a time. I remember the dog tied in the garage. I THINK my dad had the neighbor come over and feed him. But I was a kid and never thought about it. We were poor and rarely went for more than a weekend, but still. The very idea that the dog would go with us, ROTFL.

ETA: I have never owned a pick up, and no my dogs do not travel in a pick up truck. However, Cujo and Pip have traveled in the back of his. It has a cap. And I made sure he had a crate back there when the dog was a pup. Now he just puts the dog in there. That is life. The only place Cujo goes in the truck is the vet, which is three blocks away.

Odie, Joy-Joy
Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-22-2009, 05:10 PM
Master Member

i had dogs my entire life growing up, we lived in the country...They were fed puppy food for a little bit, then table scraps there after, they didn;'t have shots, they were not spayed or nueterd...We always had male dogs. They didn't have flea treatments or heartguard, but they were the best dang dogs arounds...They were loved on everyday by me, fed everyday...If it got to cold or alot snow, rain or what have you my mom let us put them in the basement...My mom and dad were no inside animal people and that was it....Dogs are alot more sturdy than what we give them credit for. I had one that preferred to be outside in the snow and rain, he hated to be inside, or even in a basement....I am just saying i don't thing she should be judged at all. She did what she had/or could do to get her dog (as being a responsible owner) to the vet to be spayed.

Andrea.....

Love all my kids 2 and 4 legged.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-22-2009, 06:19 PM Thread Starter

Update on rottie from this morning

Quote:
Originally Posted By: gbodane

There is a BIG sign by the front door that says to "Please leave your pet in your car until you fill out the paperwork"

In comes this large ( fat ) rottie mix female dragging a small Asian woman. The dog was nearly as big as the lady. The dog was totally out of control. The owner straddled her and dragged/pushed her to the corner away from the other dogs. The dog is barking and lunging at the other dogs. There is no way the lady could control the dog and fill out the paperwork.

After about 5 minutes the receptionist comes over and tells the owner to please take your dog back to your car until the paperwork is finished. So out another door goes the owner pulling and dragging the rottie.
I went back this afternoon to p/u my doxie from his neutering. I was told that there had been an emergency ( not mine ) and it would another 30 mins to p/u. Turned out that the big rottie female was so large that something happened and it turned into an emergency. All the vets had to help. The dog will be ok.

The cats are done after the dogs-so all the cat owners weren't going to be able to p/u until after 5. Some of them were not happy.

Bungee 6/1996 - 01/2009 * Dane/lab mix
Sassy of Rosehall and Black Magic 4/13/09 GSD
Copper 1998 * Redbone Hound*
Buster 6/2008* cat
Prissy 1990-2010 *cat

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-22-2009, 07:48 PM
Crowned Member

Re: Update on rottie from this morning

An emergency is an emergency. They are using a cheap clinic, or ASPCA clinic which kind of suggests they are doing it there because it is cheaper than going to your own vet. But evenso, what is there not to be happy about.

If a skinny dog had a problem would it be less of an issue of other people to have to wait.

If a well-behaved dog had a problem???

Did they actually tell you that it was the Rotty's size or weight that caused the problem?

It is amazing that the less people have to pay for something the more irritable they are about it.

Odie, Joy-Joy
Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-22-2009, 10:21 PM
Master Member

I'm with selzer. It's reality, imperfect though it may be, that lots of people don't know how to handle their dogs. The truth is most people mean well, despite being clueless about the preferred way to do things, a dog's behavior just isn't as big of a deal for them. For the little asian lady, it would have been easier to do nothing at all, thank god she's at least trying.

Taking a trip down memory lane, when I grew up we had dogs but they were outside dogs. I hardly remember them coming in. We all loved them of course, but we didn't walk them or train them anymore than basic sitting and maybe some tricks. Now, myself as an owner, my dogs are inside all the time but are free to go out during the day, and they get daily walks and regular training. When I see people treating their dogs like we used to treat ours (e.g., outside, no regular walks) I am just glad I saw the light -- but the dogs of 'typical' owners are probably still having a nice time enjoying what they can.

Proud papa of
and
. RIP Dana.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-22-2009, 11:09 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: selzerAn emergency is an emergency. They are using a cheap clinic, or ASPCA clinic which kind of suggests they are doing it there because it is cheaper than going to your own vet. But evenso, what is there not to be happy about.

If a skinny dog had a problem would it be less of an issue of other people to have to wait.

If a well-behaved dog had a problem???

Did they actually tell you that it was the Rotty's size or weight that caused the problem?
I know there is more risk with anesthesia and surgery if a dog is severely overweight.

Jubal/Tesla (Beauceron) 3/14/14
Bianca HIC CGC TT (GSD) 4/24/04-10/23/12
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-23-2009, 08:01 AM

Well, after thinking about it, I did over react. Many dogs I know spend all their lives riding in the back of pickup trucks, and I wouldn't stop Bear from riding in one either. It RARELY gets THAT cold down here, but even if it did, I think I was wrong, it's not the end of the world.
As for taking the dogs camping, well, I guess my dogs WERE spoiled then. Of course it also depends on where you grew up. If you left a dog tied up in the garage where I lived (Fallon, Nevada) you wouldn't have had a dog when you got back. If the temperature didn't kill them then you would have HAD to leave a door open somewhere for ventilation and coyotes would have gotten them.
Still, yeah, compared to what it sounds like your dogs went through, yeah, they were spoiled.

As for roadtrips, we didn't have a choice. ALL our family was back east, and we couldn't afford to fly. That meant that once a year my Dad took a month off in the summer time and we DROVE across the country. It was a GREAT learning experience for a kid, but we couldn't leave the dogs behind. Wasn't an option. During the day it's 115 in the shade in the summer, and at night it's anywhere from 20-40 degrees. I mean, you could leave the dogs behind, but they'd be dead.

Bear- Rescue GSD
Long stock coat
Bear's Philosophy? If you can't play with it or eat it, pee on it and walk away!

All that is gold does not glitter; not all those that wander are lost.
-Tolkien, 1954

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page