Duke's Skinny - Should I feed him more? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-21-2009, 01:50 PM Thread Starter

Duke's Skinny - Should I feed him more?

Duke is 11 months and I am guessing he weighs around 60-65 lbs. He is 2' tall from the shoulders, which is on target. We have another dog who is almost 5 and I think he sneaks Duke's food as Lucky is getting fat and Duke is kind of wirey. I want Duke to thicken up. Is this normal at 11 months? We feed both of them Eukenuba Large Breed Puppy twice a day and 3/4 cup each per feeding. Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-21-2009, 02:03 PM
Master Member

Re: Duke's Skinny - Should I feed him more?

he may need more food. We fed Siena nearly twice that at that age (and at age 3 still gets about 2 cups a day to keep her weight on). She tended to 'fill out' after about age 2... but she also had digestive issues helping her out...

Diana - owned by Siena Rose (Oct 29, 2006)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-21-2009, 02:03 PM
Knighted Member

If you have an 11 month old and a 5 year old they should both be eating adult food, not puppy food.

You can have your 11 month old tested for worms and parasites. It is possible he could have giardia or coccidia. They both can be taken care of easily.

How active is your 11 month old? If he is active you should probably be feeding him 1 1/2-2 cups per meal.

Also, a lot of Shepherds can take up to 2 years of age to fully fill out.

-Mark

Dad to:
Lady (mix) 8
Maddie GSD 3
Devan GSD mix 3
Bailey GSD 4

Samantha 10/22/1995-03/16/09 RIP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-21-2009, 02:03 PM
Knighted Member

Increase his food, I feed my Bo 2 cups in the morning and 1 1/2 at night. Plus he gets treats. He is young and needs the calories more than the older guy, I would watch them while they eat to stop the sneaking to.

Heidi, human mom to
Daisy, 6 yr JRT
Bella, 3 yr GSD
Bo, 2 yr GSD
Rest in Peace,
Kasey, GSD Shelter 8/96-12/07 at the Bridge
Patches, CS Shelter 4/93-4/05 at the Bridge
Keisha, GSD 12/87-10/96 at the Bridge
Tarsha, GSD my sweet 16 BD at the Bridge
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-21-2009, 02:06 PM
Knighted Member

Do you have a pic of him you could post?

Maybe Duke is going through a growing spurt and needs more feed.
Angeles went through that. Maybe add a quarter of a cup more per meal or per day and see how that works? What were the instructions on the bag of food for growing puppies?

At 6 months of age, I had Angeles on adult food.

Robert

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Dad to:
Angeles von Lobos (pronounced Angelus)
Jack (RIP)
Cotton
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-21-2009, 02:22 PM Thread Starter

Thanks everyone. As soon as this puppy food is gone I will switch to adult food. I bought a ton of it at a Black Friday sale at Petco. I will increase Duke's food as well. The trouble is that he is not a gobbler, that is, chows the entire bowl down. He likes to leave it and have it when he is ready, trouble is Lucky sneaks it. Duke is extremely active. I am thinking a little wet food with the dry JUST for Duke may get him to eat the entire meal at one sitting.

Edit - also, I could have sworn my vet said puppy food until one year old. they said you don't want them to grow too fast and adult food will do this. Guess I got what they wanted!!
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-21-2009, 02:52 PM
Crowned Member

It is good to grow them slow and keep them fairly thin as they grow. Our vet advocates this and my 7 month old weighs around 60 lbs. My friend feeds Eukanuba and she has had trouble keeping enough weight on young dogs. I don't know if it so restricted to grow them slow that it may be hard to get some weight on.
Hers also pick at the food too. I don't know if it is food drive as her dogs are inherently pretty low drive or the palatability.

I have had several dogs who did not like Eukanuba, but others will eat it, so who knows. I call it "yuckanuba" when they refuse it.

I don't know what to tell you about the food being left out and the other dog getting it. I feed everyone seperately, in crate or pen. If they don't eat a meal in 30 minutes then I take it up and they also skip the next meal. Currently, all dogs now put head in dish and it comes up only when finished.

Some adolescents can be very picky and difficult to feed though. The ones I knew like this eventually got with it on the appetance deal and began to eat much better when mature. If a dog is not eating much, a more calorie and nutrient dense food will help as they don't have to eat as much.

Also, my friend who feeds Eukanuba Maintenance to her older dogs feeds 4- 7 cups a day. They are active but only in the pen and backyard and it takes that much to keep weight on them.
I feed my pup around 3 cups a day of his high calorie, non-grain food and he is slim. I am thinking you need a higher calorie food and more of it.

Carla and The Pack
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-21-2009, 03:09 PM
Crowned Member

......Your vet probably did say feed LB puppy food for a year. That is what I do too. There used to be admonitions to not feed puppy food for longer than 4-6 months to large breed dogs because puppy food is higher in calorie and nutrients and you don't want to grow your large breed puppy fast. The now Large Breed puppy foods are in a way the opposite of traditional puppy food in that calories and nutrients are somewhat restricted. Some dogs do get a bit thin on them because of that. If your dog would eat more of the LB food that would be fine. If he doesn't eat much volume, you could get a higher calorie food.

Carla and The Pack
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-21-2009, 03:28 PM

London is now 11 months old and 27.5" high at the shoulders. He is quite slender but I know it is because a. he is still filling out and will do so until he's 2 years old and b. he gets a boatload of exercise daily. I feed him BLUE dry dog food mixed with the Puppy food I buy at Costco (which is all natural). I also give him moist food daily. He gets three meals a day of 1-1/2 cups of dry with 1/2 can of moist per meal. TONS of food, but if you saw him you'd think I was starving him. The young, active males eat A LOT!

And, yes, I did have him tested for worms, etc. He is healthy as a horse and about as big as one, too! :0)

London's Mom

---------------------------------------------
Minerva 9/1994 - 1/2009
Lugar 4/1997 - 2/2009
Olina 4/2009 - 2/2011

London 1/19/2009 -
Emma 8/27/2010 -
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-21-2009, 03:52 PM
Crowned Member

Depending on what food you are feeding, you may not have to increase his intake. Or you may, 11 months is the precarious teenager time, good luck it seems like alot longer of a time than it really is I found with both my dogs from about 6mos to 2 years they looked like starving animals one day and normal the next, if you have ruled out all possible medical reasons, I wouldn't worry too much, they are like human teenagers, their bodies are changing, they are metabolizing at different rates.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page