Need some quick help for a new GSD owner - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-21-2009, 02:44 AM Thread Starter

Need some quick help for a new GSD owner

Hey everybody,

I've been lurking for a while, but now that I really need some help I figured I would finally make a post. Here's a quick summary,

I bought a 2 year old Slovak GSD from a very reputable breeder/trainer last Thursday, and she has been wonderful. The problem is, it looks to me like she may be unhappy with her current kibble.

He sent us home with a big bag of Canidae All Life Stage Formula dry dog food, and said that is what he feeds all of the dogs at his kennel. She seems to like the food when she eats it, but she looks to be more lethargic than she should be, and tonight when I was petting her she threw up out of nowhere. It's hard to explain, but you guys know the feeling when you can just tell a dog isn't feeling very well.

When i researched the food, I found a ton of complaints, so whether the current issues are linked to the food or not, I think I'd like to change it. I actually want to start tomorrow so I'll probably be getting up early before her first feeding so I can start mixing in the new food.

We have a Petco, Tractor Supply, and Wal-mart here in town, so after doing some research on the forum, this is what I was going to try...

http://www.petco.com/product/102232/Blue...=DogFFB_BlueSpa

Do you guys think that is as good a choice as any, or does anybody have some other good options I should look at? I'm not into wasteful spending, but I have no problem buying her the best food I can get.

Thanks guys, I look forward to hearing your thoughts and hopefully sharing more about the dog with you in the near future. We've only had her a couple days, but we couldn't be happier.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-21-2009, 04:07 AM
Banned

Re: Need some quick help for a new GSD owner

I've never tried Blue Buffalo, but I've been tempted because the ingredients list looks good.

I used to know an old stubborn no nonsense vet that didn't seem to be getting any kick backs from the dog food companies. He recommended staying away from dog foods with high amounts of corn products. He said dog foods with high amounts of corn products don't digest as well so you end up having to feed the dog more and picking up more dog feces. He said the dog foods with corn have a tendency to cause health problems in the long term. He said dogs that are fed food with corn have a tendency to have more problems with the organs and allergies. He said dog foods with rice, particularly brown rice are typically much better. At the time he recommended Pro plan chicken and rice. Regrettably Pro plan seems to have changed their formula and now are using a small amount of corn. Pro plan has a premium select food that seems to have a better formula but it seems to be harder to find and more expensive.

He said he preferred the chicken formulas but some dogs (particularly with allergy problems) did better with the lamb formulas.

Since Pro plan has changed their regular formula I have partially switched to Prism lamb and rice. The ingredients seem to be better than the current regular Pro Plan formula. I haven't seen Prism in regular stores; the only place I've been able to find it is at my cheap lowbrow feed store. It costs about 25% less then Pro plan.

Pro Plan chicken and rice
http://www.petco.com/product/107860/...-Dog-Food.aspx

Prism lamb and rice
http://www.prismpetfood.com/pages/pr_lamb_rice.html
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-21-2009, 07:31 AM
Crowned Member

Blue Buf is good food and I would recommend it. I am feeding the BB Lamb and Rice Formula and all my dogs are doing well on it. If you switch foods do so over about a week, adding a little more in every day until you have her switched over.

She may also just be settling in and a bit off kilter right now. A change in water can also upset her tummy. You can also add a dollop of plain non fat yogurt into her food. It has lactobacillus in it which is good bacteria for the gut and it tastes good to the dog.

Congrats on your new girl and welcome to the board!

Pictures?????

Kathy

URO3,UCD Aleshanee Windridge "Kayos" CD,TDX,RE,CGC,HIC,TC
PTE,AG2,AN,URO3,UCD Xtra!Xtra! V TeMar "Havoc" CDX,GN,RE,CGC,HIC,TC,BH
UACH,URO1 Tidmores Rising Star Lydia "Mayhem" CD,BN,AX,OAJ,NF,RE,HT,TC,CGC,

Bridge
Lucky, Wolf, Max
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-21-2009, 09:31 AM
dd
Crowned Member

It may be the food, but bear in mind there may be something else going on. Have you had her vet checked? Lethargy and vomitting could be doggie flu. I would get that checked out as well.

dd

post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-21-2009, 09:55 AM

dd is right ,could be anything from dog flu to just over eatting ,,,

HAROLD M
Duke Vom Rohaus dob:11/30/08
European working bloodline
German Shepherd Dog.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-21-2009, 10:43 AM
Crowned Member

I'd get a vet visit in just to make sure everything is okay and I always like to get vet visits when I get a new critter, no matter how old.

I fed BB when I fed kibble and they did well on it. Shiny coats and such. The kitties are on BB (they were on Nutro before) and the difference in their coats and hair texture is amazing.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tiffany; mom to:
Annabelle "the Diva"- GSD born 9/21/08
Duncan- Shep Mix adopted on 2/14/00 TDI
The kitty amigos: Simon, Alley and Mia
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-21-2009, 06:15 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the input,

This morning I went to get the Blue Chicken and Rice food at Petco, It was $5 off so if she likes it I might go and get some more. I will mix it into her food for the first time tonight. I also made a vet appointment for tomorrow so hopefully everything will come up normal there.

If anybody wants to see some pics/video/info on her I made a new thread:

https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...=0#Post1298265
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-21-2009, 06:26 PM
Crowned Member

Have you considered a raw diet?

If you buy in bulk it actually comes out cheaper (atleast it does for me) than buying the premium kibble (Origen).

Stark's was weaned to raw and then I tried kibble for a week or two when he was 8 weeks old, but he wasn't interested in it. Went back to raw when he was around 10 weeks old and never been happier.

G Wild Winds Zephyr of Cognac BH, HIC, NTD, ITD, CGN, TT
Wild Winds Archangel Raphael HIC, TT
XX z Weberhaus
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-22-2009, 02:39 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted By: elisabeth_00117Have you considered a raw diet?

If you buy in bulk it actually comes out cheaper (atleast it does for me) than buying the premium kibble (Origen).

Stark's was weaned to raw and then I tried kibble for a week or two when he was 8 weeks old, but he wasn't interested in it. Went back to raw when he was around 10 weeks old and never been happier.
Do you have any favorite resources or threads on the subject? I know its probably been covered a million times, but I don't know anything about it and thought somebody could give me a good place to start.

Thanks,
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-22-2009, 03:05 AM
Master Member

Hi! You have a beautiful girl! I enjoyed watching some of the videos you posted in Zafra's intro.

If you are interested in feeding raw, you should head over to the B.A.R.F./Raw feeding forum under the Health and Wellness section. A good place to start for sure.

There are so many helpful and experienced raw fans around here. They will be happy to guide you if you decide to make the plunge. I feed premade raw myself, so I'm not very helpful with the do-it-yourself style raw. But I can tell you that the DIY raw can be way cheaper than premium kibble. The results are amazing.

Also check out this website: Raw Dog Ranch Lots of great info, and it was developed by one of the raw gurus on this forum.

Sarah

Khyber GSD

Mr. Coal BFBC (big fat black cat)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page