I don't want my daughter around Pit Bulls ... - German Shepherd Dog Forums
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 188 (permalink) Old 12-19-2009, 01:46 AM Thread Starter
Elite Member

I don't want my daughter around Pit Bulls ...

That I don't personally know and even then.... Okay, I KNOW I am going to get a lot of negative comments on this post but I am just being honest and just not comfortable to let my 5 year old go to friends homes who have pit bulls. I know it's about how they are raised, etc. but they also were bred for what they were bred for and you just never know.

My sister is a trauma surgeon in Portland at OHSU, she said the worst thing she has EVER seen in her career was a 5 year old attacked by a Pit Bull who was a "well adjusted, great pet". She said that her face was basically gone and it's the first case she has ever seen where she was glad the child didn't survive to live the after effects...

I had a border collie for 14 years and I could never train the herding instinct out of her. She would herd the vacuum, herd me, herd anything moving really, it was inbred into her and was just her way. Pit Bulls were bred for fighting. I have seen so many news stories here like one where a sweet grandma type raised the dog and the dog killed her grandson on a whim.

I KNOW what will come up here again and again is how the dog is raised, but what about the accounts of dogs that were apparently raised as part of the family in the home and allegedly very sweet dogs who kill a child or attack on a whim? I know it's happened with other breeds but I haven't seen many reports of that like I do for Pitts. Here in Colorado they have banned them in the Denver Metro area because of the numerous attacks.

I am only leaving this message because I know how knowledgeable people here are on dogs and want to understand why these attacks are so constant with the Pit Bulls. I want to feel comfortable having my daughter around them but I just don't right now. After what my sister told me I am terrified to have my daughter around any Pitt. Am I wrong? *sigh*

Please give me more than "it's how they are raised" because I have seen that is not nec. true from numerous reports. One of the reasons I am leaving this post is that my daughter's best friends just got a pup Pit Bull and I know it is not the right environment for that dog.

And then, how can I say to them "I don't want my daughter around a pit bull" when I have a GSD? Sorry, just venting, but wanted to run it by you all

~Lisa

Maya, my little human, 15 years old
Tala, White GSD born Feb 28 2019
Lulu, Black GSD,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
R.I.P. went to the Rainbow Bridge May, 2018
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 188 (permalink) Old 12-19-2009, 01:55 AM
Crowned Member

Re: I don't want my daughter around Pit Bulls ...

While Pit Bulls were bred to fight - they were bred to fight other dogs. They were also bred to be exceptionally good with people, even during a fight their handlers needed to be able to get in their safely. Aggression towards dogs and aggression towards people are totally different behaviors. So, by the "what they were bred for argument" it makes sense to keep your dog away from them but not your daughter (or no more than unknown dogs of other breeds).

I wish I could remember where I saw it, but I was reading something recently where Pit Bulls are one of the top scoring breeds on temperament tests.

Quote:
Quote:what about the accounts of dogs that were apparently raised as part of the family in the home and allegedly very sweet dogs who kill a child or attack on a whim? I know it's happened with other breeds but I haven't seen many reports of that like I do for Pitts.
Unfortunately I think that has more to do with the media than the breed. "Pit Bull attacks" get a lot more press than attacks by less sensationalized breeds but it doesn't actually mean that there are more of them - at least when it comes to family pets. The larger number of Pit Bull bite statistics are due to the type of situation in which many of these dogs are kept (not family pets, outside, drug situations etc) rather than their breed.

My suggestion would be to be cautious of any unknown dog and to reorient your major restriction to people who have tethered dogs. Tethered dogs, of any breed, can be extremely dangerous to children that wander into their reach.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 188 (permalink) Old 12-19-2009, 01:55 AM
Elite Member

Send a message via Yahoo to drkcloud4u

It's how the dog (cause this applies to all dogs) is raised
AND....

How the CHILD is raised!

No matter how much good training a dog has they can only tolerate so much screaming, pulling, tugging, rough petting, etc..before snapping....(heck this applies to me as well)...

Mom to: Jack(GSD), Ghost(GSD mix), Daisy(TWC), Ripley (CAT), RIP Scooner(GSD mix), RIP Mya(CAT), & RIP Citron(CAT)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 188 (permalink) Old 12-19-2009, 02:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted By: StarryNitewere bred for what they were bred for and you just never know.
Quote:
Originally Posted By: StarryNite Pit Bulls were bred for fighting.
yes, pit bulls were bred for fighting <u>DOGS</u>...
given what you've said about your daughters friend and her family - i would not leave my child unsupervised (by me) around their dog, period, regardless of breed.

TILDEN: Male: Blk/Red LHGSD: DOB: 12/24/06 60lbs of Love
KEYSTONE: Male: Sable: DOB: 2/11/13 60lbs of Go!!!!!
post #5 of 188 (permalink) Old 12-19-2009, 02:02 AM Thread Starter
Elite Member

How can the media ignore all dog attacks except pit bulls though? I would think if a person was attacked by any dog it would make the news. I agree about everything you guys are saying, I really do, I just want to understand this and get over my fear.

My daughter is great and mostly gentle with dogs so that is not the issue here, her and Lulu get along fabulously and she respects Lou and even when she gets upset with Lou, Lou backs off. I honestly don't think it's a media thing determined to get rid of Pit Bulls

~Lisa

Lulu, Black GSD,
post #6 of 188 (permalink) Old 12-19-2009, 02:06 AM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Okay, a "for instance". She wants to go play at her friend Diego's home, they have a full grown pit. I don't know the family or the dog, should I let her go play there?

~Lisa

Lulu, Black GSD,
post #7 of 188 (permalink) Old 12-19-2009, 02:06 AM
Elite Member

Send a message via Yahoo to drkcloud4u

Not chihuahuas...I've been attacked by those things before...it doesn't make the news cause it's almost comical...but those little teeth hurt!! Little dogs have the worst tempers!
I've never been attacked by a big dog...

Mom to: Jack(GSD), Ghost(GSD mix), Daisy(TWC), Ripley (CAT), RIP Scooner(GSD mix), RIP Mya(CAT), & RIP Citron(CAT)
post #8 of 188 (permalink) Old 12-19-2009, 02:06 AM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Oh, and how can I say "I don't want my daughter to play there because you have a Pit Bull but I have a GSD if he wants to play here"
GRRRRR

~Lisa

Lulu, Black GSD,
post #9 of 188 (permalink) Old 12-19-2009, 02:09 AM
Master Member

Would it be possible for you to express your concerns to the parent, and maybe go with her when she wants to play at that home, at least until you feel more comfortable?

Shadow is very friendly, but if we have any kids at my home that don't belong to me, Shadow is kept away, for his safety as well as the kids. (that tail can hurt when it's doing the helicopter happy dance.)

Di

Shadow - GSD
Apache - Bernese Mtn / Australian Shep X
and gone but NEVER forgotten:
Smokey Joe - GSD/Rott X
Jake - Westie-Poo
Mandy - Peke-a-Poo
Denae - Akita/Malamute/GSD
T.J - Great Pyranees
post #10 of 188 (permalink) Old 12-19-2009, 02:09 AM Thread Starter
Elite Member

OMG drkcloud! My grandma had a chihuahua named "killer", very appropriately! VERY mean doggie! It's easy to love things that can't really harm though, right?

~Lisa

Lulu, Black GSD,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page