Thinking about getting a GSD - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-17-2009, 04:37 AM Thread Starter

Thinking about getting a GSD

Hi, I'm thinking about buying a GSD and I was wondering who some of the best and most respected breeders are
Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-17-2009, 08:37 AM
Knighted Member

Re: Thinking about getting a GSD

Where are you located? And why do you want a German Shepherd Dog? Giving us more information will help us advise you better....

Anja GSD
Conor GSD - adopted from this Board
Blue GSD - waiting at the Bridge
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-17-2009, 10:31 AM
Crowned Member

Yep on the above.

GSD's are great dogs but you want to make sure you have the ability to devote the time needed to train, socialize and exercise a pup.

You might also consider looking at rescues in your area too. Many great GSD's are available from reputable rescues.

If you can give us a geographical area we can help you find a breeder that will suit you as well. Don't need your address just something like central KS or eastern IL or Anchorage AK or wherever!

Welcome to you and welcome to the best breed in the world.

Kathy

URO3,UCD Aleshanee Windridge "Kayos" CD,TDX,RE,CGC,HIC,TC
PTE,AG2,AN,URO3,UCD Xtra!Xtra! V TeMar "Havoc" CDX,GN,RE,CGC,HIC,TC,BH
UACH,URO1 Tidmores Rising Star Lydia "Mayhem" CD,BN,AX,OAJ,NF,RE,HT,TC,CGC,

Bridge
Lucky, Wolf, Max
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-17-2009, 10:58 AM
Crowned Member

Welcome to the forum!

Being a GSD owner is amazing, but it is definitely not for everyone. They require a lot time, patience, and excerise on a daily basis. No skipping training or walks for this breed.. haha.

If you give us some more information, such as what you are looking for in a dog, what draws you to this breed specifically, where you are located and why you want to own the breed we can definitely help point you in the right direction.

Another suggestion would be to head over to both the puppy section and the training and behaviour section and read through the posts. This will give you an idea as to what your in for.. haha. Oh, and looking over in the breeder's forum is another great area to gain some knowledge on the breed.

Anyways, please keep us posted on your puppy hunt, this part is always so stressful!

G Wild Winds Zephyr of Cognac BH, HIC, NTD, ITD, CGN, TT
Wild Winds Archangel Raphael HIC, TT
XX z Weberhaus
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-17-2009, 02:20 PM Thread Starter

Well, I'm from new York, but I'm willing to travel most anywhere to make sure that I am getting a healthy dog from reputable breeder. I am a very active (almost) college graduate (about a year left to go). I wanted to start doing research now so that I could be ready when I actually wanted to go out and find a puppy. I want to have a family dog (most important) that is very experienced in obedience training, as well a protection or schutzhund training. The versatility and devotion of the GSD makes it seem like a perfect breed for what I am looking for.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-27-2009, 10:59 PM

I'd go with a rescue GSD.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that will love you more than you love yourself." ~ Josh Billings
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page