My dog is getting redder? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-15-2009, 09:16 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

My dog is getting redder?

Not that I'm complaining, but I've noticed lately that Bianca's fur is getting much redder in color...especially on her head and legs. Anyone know why that might be?

I think she was already darker than she was when I got her but just recently (in the last month or two) she looks like she's getting really red! I don't think it's due to shedding or the seasons because I got her last December and she was much lighter colored then.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jubal/Tesla (Beauceron) 3/14/14
Bianca HIC CGC TT (GSD) 4/24/04-10/23/12
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-15-2009, 09:18 PM
Crowned Member

Re: My dog is getting redder?

You must post pictures! Before and now, for comparison!

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-15-2009, 09:19 PM

is it that her red fur is getting darker? or that some of the black areas are being replaced by red?

TILDEN: Male: Blk/Red LHGSD: DOB: 12/24/06 60lbs of Love
KEYSTONE: Male: Sable: DOB: 2/11/13 60lbs of Go!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-15-2009, 09:39 PM
Crowned Member

Change in diet? When I put Morgan on duck based kibble, after a few months I noted her reds popping like they never did before. She was always sort of golden colored in spots, now she's more reddish.

-Jenn

Venus of Crooked Creek 1/26/13
Otto von Hena-C 05/23/08
Morgan Donnermond 08/04/01 to 9/28/12 Long Live the Queen!

I have duct tape and I am not afraid to use it.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-15-2009, 10:11 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: Camerafodderis it that her red fur is getting darker? or that some of the black areas are being replaced by red?
Yeah, it's her red fur getting darker, not the black changing to red. She does have some of her saddle replaced by red but she had that when I got her.

I was going to post photos but it's hard because each photo has different lighting so it's hard to see the difference in her color... I'll try though, I found two photos where it looks like the lighting is similar, and she is wearing the same vest in both.

This was taken last April:

This one is from mid-November (I think she looks darker now than she did in this pic though):

I did change her food a while ago so maybe that's it... She was eating a duck/turkey food (NOW Grain Free) but then I switched her to Orijen Fish (quite a while ago though). She also gets some raw but she's always had that.

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-15-2009, 10:45 PM
Moderator who has gone to the dogs

A lot of shepherds "tan" changes to darker tinges during winter months. I don't know why but it happens with Chimo and Rayne especially and Kai and Kainen (my friends GSDs).

Lakota, Chimo, Tika, Rayne, Kanuck, Jethro and Keyzah

My Angels forever in my heart and watching over us:
Phoenix 9/07
Kaylee Cheyenne 5/09
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-15-2009, 10:56 PM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: AmaruqA lot of shepherds "tan" changes to darker tinges during winter months. I don't know why but it happens with Chimo and Rayne especially and Kai and Kainen (my friends GSDs).
My guy Quinn is starting his 3rd winter with us and I also think he becomes redder as the weather changes. He did blow a lot of coat in August and as the winter fur came in it has been noticeably more red.

Please don't litter. Neuter your pets!

Quinn, Mar. 8/07 - Dec. 13/18, my best boy
Shadow, 1995-2007, always in my heart
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-15-2009, 10:58 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: AmaruqA lot of shepherds "tan" changes to darker tinges during winter months. I don't know why but it happens with Chimo and Rayne especially and Kai and Kainen (my friends GSDs).
She was much lighter last winter than she is this winter, though. In fact she was lighter last winter than she has been at any time since then, she's been getting darker slowly since I got her last December although it seems like recently it's increased.

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-15-2009, 10:59 PM
The Administrator from the Great White North, eh?

I wonder if it is not that the dogs are getting redder in winter, but that their red is bleached out by the sun during the summer?

Lucia

2009-2018

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
Rottweiler/Hairy Dog mix?? 2004-2015
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-15-2009, 11:05 PM
Master Member

Send a message via AIM to Spiritsmam Send a message via Yahoo to Spiritsmam

My Darwin is a sable and his colour changes are amazing. I rescued him in January when he was a definite red colour ... by summer he looked silver/blue ... and now he is heading back to red. I love it :-)

[img][/img]

Joanne,
Spirit, Eli, and Aoibhe (Disabled GSD's)
Duncan, Sam, Carl and Tesla (Black Lab mixes who think all GSD's are airheads)
Teddy ("the Corgi")

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page