How do *you* walk two leashed dogs? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-15-2009, 08:22 PM Thread Starter

How do *you* walk two leashed dogs?

Assuming you live in the city, and at least part of the time those dogs are going to have to be under your immediate control? Next to each other on one side? One on each side?

There are tons of people with multiple dogs I see out walking, but they're either unleashed (and half the time charge my dog, grr), or they're performing a complicated series of winding and unwinding the leashes as they go (I can't emphasize enough how ridiculous this is. It is like watching a whirling dervish as the family with three dogs wraps/wanders/unwraps going down our busy street!). Thanks in advance!

In love with my first and now second! gsds.
(still Puppy, even tho she's not really puppy-aged anymore, and Kilo, who *is* puppy-aged.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-15-2009, 08:26 PM
Knighted Member

Re: How do *you* walk two leashed dogs?

With a leash coupler. Two dogs, one leash!

Yours in GSDs and rescue,

Lea

Good Dogs for Good Homes
Virginia German Shepherd Rescue

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-15-2009, 08:34 PM

one advantage to having a 2 & 10yr old is that they have very different needs separate activities. for every 20 minutes that Gia can walk, Tilden can walk for 2 hours. She also has HD which limits her from any sort of running or hiking. Saying all that to say, more often then not - when I'm out I only have 1 with me. However, our daily walks in the morning are together and depending on the time of day (people/car traffic), how I feel and how they're cooperating I'll do Tilden on leash and Gia off OR both on long leashes walking ahead of me OR both of them on short leashes heeling on each side of me. if i don't have a free hand to heel one on each side, i'll heel them both on my right - but this is my least favorite positioning. When I'm walking two dogs, I'm walking two dogs... not talking on the phone, counting out money, holdings a childs hand, or anything else. If any of those situations do arise, they are both put in a down or sit-stay so that I can attend to anything else necessary.

I see most people having problems when their dog is either, absolutely not leash trained in the slightest, or when they're trying to do too many other things while walking their dogs.

Edit: I used to use a coupler as Remo mentioned long ago - and I'd consider it again if I had two dogs that were closer in size, age, training, energy levels. At this point Tilden still needs certain leash corrections and/or modifications and the coupler prevents me from doing that.

TILDEN: Male: Blk/Red LHGSD: DOB: 12/24/06 60lbs of Love
KEYSTONE: Male: Sable: DOB: 2/11/13 60lbs of Go!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-15-2009, 08:41 PM
Elite Member

When I walk them on leash I have one on each side, each with their own leash. It's always Sir on the right and Cheyenne on my left, so they don't weave back and forth because they know which place they are supposed to be in. Occasionally when we first start walking there will be a brief leash tangle before they settle in before everything goes smoothly. It just feels more 'right' to have one evenly at each side and then I have individual control on equal levels. When on leash I don't like them being too far out or out in front of me(I trip over them!), so I keep them each close at my side.
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-15-2009, 08:43 PM

I walk them both on my left side, with Kira closest to me and Grace on the outside. I do not like couplers because we had a bit of freak accident with one...Grace stopped to smell something and Kira jumped over her, effectively choking Grace until I unhooked her from the coupler! It happened in a split second, but that was it for me and couplers! And these are two dogs that heel really well!

Here is a pic of them, from when Kira was younger.

Melissa & the Girls
*Grace, 7 yo GSD*
*Kira, 3 yo GSD*
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-15-2009, 08:46 PM
Crowned Member

When there was no one else in view I usually had one leash in each hand. When someone was coming towards us I moved them both to my left like the photo of Kira and Grace (except my smaller dog was the one further away from me.)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jubal/Tesla (Beauceron) 3/14/14
Bianca HIC CGC TT (GSD) 4/24/04-10/23/12
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-15-2009, 08:47 PM
Knighted Member

I currently walk them each on their own leash because of the correction needs of each are different and I walk one on each side for the same reason. I do my best to not allow them to criss cross in front of me and get their leashes all tangled up(still perfecting the two dog ownership thing) and for the most part am successful.

Nadia - GSD -DOB 12-29-07
Zisso - GSD- DOB 9-16-07
Pepe & Kiki`my sweet kitties

Zisso is my heart~Nadia is my Love~My kitties bring me everything in between~Together they bring me Joy!
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-15-2009, 08:53 PM
brt
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: RemoWith a leash coupler. Two dogs, one leash!
same here

brt
"Blessed is the person who has earned the love of an old dog."

-
Sydney Jeanne Seward
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-15-2009, 09:00 PM

Generally its one on each side. Lloyd on my left, Nash on my right. If we are where there are no sidewalks then they both go on the side away from traffic.

-Melissa
Lloyd (big black mix)
Nash (rescue GSD)
and the cats
Snickers (DSH tortie)
Jake (DLH tuxedo blk & Wht)
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-15-2009, 09:29 PM
Master Member

We walk every morning before work. I use individual leashes because Arwen has a much higher energy level and still does her kangaroo imitation the first part of the walk. Kodiak always is on the right because that's where he likes to be. Yes, they do get tangles every once in a while but for the most part they walk very good together.

Roseann

Arwen-GSD born 3-30-09
Kodiak CGC-GSD born 12-5-07
Rosie-draft cross mare

RIP My Dear Joshua 9/20/07-my buddy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page