Dog shows/crating advocacy - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-15-2009, 07:28 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Dog shows/crating advocacy

I dont watch many dog training shows on tv, not really wild about alot of them, mostly methods that I dont use and/or dont have those kinds of behavioural problems. Anyway, I was surfing the net and on animal planet they had a thing on that Victoria woman from "its me or the dog" training show. I saw several episodes that seemed to me like a good fix was to crate your animals, I got to thinking about it, and I dont think I have heard any of these tv dog trainers advocate this, again I dont really watch these shows often so perhaps I just have never seen it. There was one guy that had two pitts that destroyed his house, she came and worked with them, but never once did the show mention crating your destructive animal for its OWN safety....... Anyway, just food for thought, I found it odd, that one of the simplest, most inexpensive ways to save your pet and furniture as well as give you piece of mind is to crate your dog if it cannot be trusted in the house wasnt even suggested.

Betsy

Ava GSD 3.5yrs

Champ 1985, Heidi 2000

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-15-2009, 07:56 PM
Crowned Member

Re: Dog shows/crating advocacy

One time, I saw her bring in a crate and discuss it. But in England, dog crating is not nearly as widespread as it is here in the US.

ANYTHING can be abused. I think that some people do abuse crates, use them for far longer than they are needed, and can never trust the dog.

I believe that teaching a dog to accept their crate is essential, but beyond that, my goal is to not need them at all. With multiple dogs, I will never leave my intact bitches and dogs alone together in the house. Too much could happen. At night I crate them. But I can take any one of them up into the rest of the house and not use a crate at all.

I agree that for puppies especially, leaving an untrained dog alone in the whole house is asking for big trouble, surgery or death of the puppy is very possible.

However putting the dog in a box is not training. Training is what they are doing, not managing. Just like slapping a prong collar on a dog is not teaching him not to pull. It is a quick fix and without training the dog, you will have a dog that pulls when you change the collar. So instead of passing you a bandaid they are actually trying to show you how to modify the dog's behavior.

We Americans want everything right NOW. And a crate can do that for you. It will keep the dog from chewing the couch. If that keeps the dog from being chained out back well, ok.

Odie, Joy-Joy
Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-15-2009, 08:06 PM
Crowned Member

I think some of it is cultural. I saw one show where Victoria was condemning someone's use of a crate saying it was way too small and it looked fine to me, assuming the dog would lie down and sleep. I crate my dogs when I expect them to rest, so they don't need room to run back and forth. This morning as I was leaving for work, the 10 week old puppy ran to her little kennel, tucked herself in and lied down waiting for me to shut the door. The dogs had been running around wrestling and playing hard for over an hour and were ready for rest.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-15-2009, 08:21 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

I had not thought of that, Ava was crated as a puppy, but as she grew and became dependable, she was left out more and more, I dont have other dog issues right now, so that isnt a consideration for me. She has free range in the house now that she is an adult and can be trusted, but it is a very good point about the training. I guess it just concerned me because I feel if more of these people crate trained when the dogs were young, there would be fewer problems as adults, after all, you cant correct a behavior you arent there to witness in the first place.

Betsy

Ava GSD 3.5yrs

Champ 1985, Heidi 2000

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-15-2009, 08:54 PM
Crowned Member

Victoria is from the UK. Crating is considered cruel by a lot of people there still and is not widely used. Someone told me that she has started suggesting crates in some of the newer shows where she is in the US. The ones where she does not recommend it are probably the original episodes from the UK.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jubal/Tesla (Beauceron) 3/14/14
Bianca HIC CGC TT (GSD) 4/24/04-10/23/12
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page