On or Off Post Housing (military question)? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-13-2009, 11:12 AM Thread Starter
Banned

On or Off Post Housing (military question)?

We'll be PCS'ing next year November and I am trying to figure out what is best for us with two big GSD's. My husband is NCO and we have no children.

Is it better to get on post housing? And where do we stay with the dogs until we get housing? Is it better to leave the dogs in Germany with my parents and ship them once we have housing?

What is it like to rent a place? Are there dog friendly regions? I know that sometimes on post housing isn't worth all the BAH you get but on the other hand you don't have to pay water, electricity or maintenance.

How hard is it to find a rental with two dogs?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-13-2009, 11:28 AM
Knighted Member

Re: On or Off Post Housing (military question)?

It can be pretty hard, even motel hunting can be hard. When we go to trials and shows. People that don't clean up after their dogs and screw things up for people that do.

Where are you moving to?

CGC Evaluator/ Free testing for Rescue dogs

Klenien Hain

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

U-CD Nomex vom Gebirgshaus SAR,BH,TD-2,VCD2,RAE,CDX,MXJ,AX,VER,NAP,NJP,CGC ( Retired )
Enzo z Blitz vom Kleinen Hain CGC NA,NAJ,OA,OAJ,AX,BN,CD
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-13-2009, 11:32 AM Thread Starter
Banned

We don't know yet. He hasn't gotten any orders yet. If it wasn't for me he'd be in Korea by now but he decided to stay for another year to get me command sponsored.

I am just trying to get a better picture of what it's going to be like. I know that planning ahead is mainly impossible but I can at least plan out what's going to happen with the two monsters. If they are staying here until we got housing or come with us.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-13-2009, 11:38 AM
Knighted Member

Check the Super 8 Motels where you are going to fly into. I had good luck with the Super 8 chain in Lebanon Indiana. Even when Angeles was larger last Christmas and we were coming home to Minnesota, they remembered us and had no problems. I kept the room very clean. The good thing is he is a very clean dog to begin with, but I still made sure I did extra checks through so there wouldn't be any issues with other folks wanting to stay there.

http://www.super8.com/Super8/control...2&brandInfo=SE

What does the new base say about dogs? Do they care if you have dogs? If they don't then that might be the best option. I had friends that stayed on base at Travis AFB and the base housing there was not bad. Of course, I had to stay in the dorms and they needed renovating (which I think they have done now) but I moved into an apartment off base. I didn't have dogs until I moved off base and I stayed in an apartment in Vallejo, CA.

Check out http://www.rentals.com/ to see if you can find an apartment where you are moving and see what the rules are. I know some of them will say no larger than 50 lbs or no aggressive breeds (even though they don't define what that is). In the apartment I was staying in Morrisville, NC, Angeles grew larger than the 50 lbs and there were other larger than 50 lbs dogs. I think some may say that so if your dog gives a problem they can state that you violated the rules with the size of your dog. Of course, others are just sticklers!

Here is the place I went through - http://www.equitycorporatehousing.com/default.aspx and they were really helpful in finding me a spot. And they would know everything about the complexes with dogs allowed or not.

I hope you can travel with your dogs - keeping the family together

Robert

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Dad to:
Angeles von Lobos (pronounced Angelus)
Jack (RIP)
Cotton
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-13-2009, 11:50 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Thank you for the information. I will definitely check all of the links out. I know about the "Keeping the family together" I definitely want to take them with me but maybe it's better for them to stay with my parents until we've found a place, either on or off post.

What else do I have to take in consideration? How much money do we approximately need?
I have to apply for the greencard and that alone costs a lot of money and I was told to safe as much as money as possible for the PCS.
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-13-2009, 12:02 PM
Crowned Member

First, find out where you are going to go. Most military installations have banned GSD's from being in on-post housing. I am able to have mine because we lived here prior to it becoming privatized and we were grandfathered in. However, we still had to do a temperment test on him.
As soon as you find out where you are PCSing to, go on the base website and they have a housing locator service. That tends to be one of the better ways to go.

SBD Posejpal's Leyna, HCTs 6/16/2010
SBD Posejpal's Hades, 5/9/12

At the rainbow bridge:
Zappa 12/27/00-1/23/12 You are my heart, my soul, and my best friend. You will be with me always.
Zeus 5/9/12-8/13/12 You taught me strength. Run free.
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-13-2009, 12:06 PM
Knighted Member

If an apartment allows dogs there could be a monthly fee or a one time pet fee (which could be per dog).

A friend in NC payed $10 extra a month for her dog + a one time pet fee when she rented her apartment. One time fees vary. I paid $300 USD one time fee but I was in corporate housing so they didn't charge me a monthly fee. The one time pet fee + the monthly dog fee would help pay for any damage to the apartment and the free poop bags through the complex. I bought my own because it was much easier and I didn't like him walking near the poop bag area - too much pee pee going on there! LOL Each apartment will be different though...so just a guide as to things to ask for.

Apartments, based on location, will have various price ranges.

For the price of the green card, check with the on base legal department. If Heidelberg doesn't have an on base legal department, check with another nearby base or call Ramstein for example. I know they have one. I think Heidelberg does have legal, just can't remember though. They may be able to guide you with the process and cost associated with it to help you plan now.

Robert

Dad to:
Jack (RIP)
Cotton
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-13-2009, 12:07 PM
Knighted Member

I forgot about Housing Locator Service!!! Thanks Kendra!

Robert

Dad to:
Jack (RIP)
Cotton
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-13-2009, 12:15 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: jaggirl47First, find out where you are going to go. Most military installations have banned GSD's from being in on-post housing. I am able to have mine because we lived here prior to it becoming privatized and we were grandfathered in. However, we still had to do a temperment test on him.
As soon as you find out where you are PCSing to, go on the base website and they have a housing locator service. That tends to be one of the better ways to go.
s
Wow, i didnt know that about the GSD ban, i know the army and marine base's banned Pit Bulls from on post housing.

RAMSEY 10/07

Mark.o
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-13-2009, 12:29 PM
Crowned Member

Yeah, I live on an Army base and like I said, my family is allowed to have GSD's. We moved in here July 2004. They became privatized January 2006 so we were grandfathered into the system and the same rules do not apply to us.
The banned breeds are GSD's, any type of pit bull/mix, dobies, rotties, cane corso's, great danes. etc. Of course, chihuahua's are allowed and I have been bit by way more of those than these so called "mean dogs". Unless you count nipping while playing lol. I think my cats have bitten me more than Zappa, LOL.

SBD Posejpal's Leyna, HCTs 6/16/2010
SBD Posejpal's Hades, 5/9/12

At the rainbow bridge:
Zappa 12/27/00-1/23/12 You are my heart, my soul, and my best friend. You will be with me always.
Zeus 5/9/12-8/13/12 You taught me strength. Run free.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page