How 2 manage a High Energy Dog - Working Family - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-12-2009, 09:55 AM Thread Starter

How 2 manage a High Energy Dog - Working Family

I am trying to fiugre out how to manage my GSD so he gets enough exercise, play and training in order to stop him from being self destructive. We both work and the kids are in school all day. My GSD when left in the kennel alone throughout the day would get a hold of his tail and has stripped all the hair off. Nothing works. The only time I have seen his tail recover was when I took some time off and stayed home for two weeks. I am now contemplating the following schedule.

1 - 6:00am run with GSD 4+ Miles (o.k. Jog)
2 - Work call at 8:45am; GSD gets Crated (2 - 3 Hrs in back of PU Truck.
3 - 11:30 - 12:30 / 12:45 - Lunch w/GSD at open field for frisbee, fetch or some training.
4 - Back to Work until 5:00pm; GSD crated (1:00pm - 5:30pm, until we get home.
5 - Walk, play or train after dinner.

Note: Don't know for sure how he will take to the crate throughout the day. I am hoping he will be tired and enjoy the rest. I hope to be able to fit this into my work day.

I would like some opinions and or suggestions...anyone out there have / had a GSD with an obsessive tail biting behavior?

Slow is smooth, Smooth is Fast...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-12-2009, 10:09 AM

Re: How 2 manage a High Energy Dog - Working Family

I would comtemplate giving him something to work on in the crate as well. Maybe a stuffed Kong with part of his Meal, so he has to work on it to eat. There are lots of ways you can make it harder to get the food out if he's getting done too quickly. That should help work his mental energy and keep him from unloading on his tail.

Bianka vom Eisernen Loewen IPO3, CGC, TC 1-3-08
Cade vom Eisernen Loewen IPO1, CGC 3-25-09
D'Artagnan (Tag) vom Eisernen Loewen BH 2-2-10
G Aiko von Burkndeiros SchH 3, IPO3, FH, TC, KKL2 9-17-02 (Retired)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-12-2009, 10:21 AM
Crowned Member

I don't know how old your dog is, but if he's full grown you might try dog scootering. I wouldn't have gotten through Grace's younger years without one; it was the only way we could tire her out.

http://www.dogscooter.com for more info.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-12-2009, 10:23 AM
Knighted Member

Send a message via AIM to Mandalay Send a message via Yahoo to Mandalay

Is it feasible to leave him crated outside your work in the back of a pickup truck all day? Where do you live and what would you do in case of rain, snow, sleet, cold, or too hot of weather conditions? If he is in the back of a truck, he'll be exposed to all these things. Even if the bed has a topper, he'll still be affected by the weather and possibly by fear when rain, sleet is hitting the roof of the truck.

Is dog daycare an option in your area? How about a dog walker?

-
-
Mandalay, GSD, CGC, DOB 01-31-08
Mazy, White Boxer, DOB ? Sometime in 2010 we think
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-12-2009, 10:32 AM
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

Think it's a GREAT idea to give him something to do in the crate. In fact if you buy the large Purple Squirrel Dude, you can put up to 1/2 cup of his kibble in it WITH broth then FREEZE it!!!! Makes it much more of a challenge and you can use it as part of him meal.

The same rubber as a kong, but bigger and more of a challenge with the hole having obstacles...

Also think you need to find a way to REALLY exercise him. Is he reliable off leash so you can have him go hiking with you? THat way you can even walk a few miles, while his total distance can be 4 times as far, with top speed running in the mix.

CAn you find some classes in your area that are more challenging and fun mentally and physically? Agility? Flyball? Herding?

The dog scootering is a GREAT idea if you can't get him offleash...

http://www.dogscooter.com/ has info, you have to buy the right harness/attachment/scooter.

Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus NA NAJ NF

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-12-2009, 11:31 AM

Pupresq, which scooter did you use?
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-12-2009, 12:03 PM
Master Member

Besides posts above, which I second all of them, My personal experience is walking or jogging may not be enough exercise. They need mental stimulation such as games like hide and seek, or hide his favorite toys and make him find them. I was having kenzo play fetch at least 1 hour everyday. These dogs definitely have to RUN,not just walking. He had such a strong ball drive). So, I was playing fetch by using tennis balls. I see you are busy, I was too. I was waking up at 5:30 AM, from 5:30 to 6:00 AM non-stop fetch the ball. This was really helping him to release his energy. Then we were having another session in the evening, again half an hour fetch. I don't know if your dog likes fetch (probably he does), if it is ok for you maybe you can do as I did. 1 hour straight fetch and walks and mental stimulation means a Happy Shepherd I know it sounds to much, but that is the way it is. Of course, this is my humble suggestion. Good Luck.

Musa

My Kenzo 07/2007-11/2008 RIP My Baby Boy

Laila Pester-ella (the evil minpin) DOB:11/2007

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-12-2009, 03:52 PM
Crowned Member

What about doggy daycare? Or a dog walker?

G Wild Winds Zephyr of Cognac BH, HIC, NTD, ITD, CGN, TT
Wild Winds Archangel Raphael HIC, TT
XX z Weberhaus
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-13-2009, 10:04 AM Thread Starter

Hmmm, his crate is a XL Airporter; one year ago it did not seem like he had the room to musch else besides lay in it.

I think he will tear apart his KONG if I let him keep it for an exteneded period.

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-13-2009, 10:10 AM Thread Starter

Well, I don't plan to leave him there for the entire day, just a couplehours at a time; though, I've been told by so many and have read so many post where they leave their GSDs in a crate for the whole day. I am in Washington, so rain would be expected. I do have a topper on my truck and planned on leaving the tailgate glass up IOT prevent overheating. After his morning run, he usually likes to nap / just lay out on the patio. During lucnh he will be pushing max speed when chasing the frisbee, ball or coming for hi fire hose tug.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page