Should I keep her or take the puppy? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-11-2009, 02:33 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Should I keep her or take the puppy?

I have a decision to make. The dog my parents want to have a litter with is finally in heat and she'll be mounted soon.

However, I took one of our female dogs to socialize and train her. She'll be four years old in January means, she's to old. If she was two years younger it'd be a different story but for the real sport she's to old.

She's a great dog, Hubby and me love her dearly BUT living in military housing and having to PCS next November it is impossible to own three dogs.

I talked to my dad and he said I should get the BH for both of them and sell them.
I told him that if any of my dogs has to go, it'd be Zenzy. I WILL NOT sell Yukon. This dog went through way to much that I would trust ANYONE with him. To many people are out there that don't have a clue and he'd probably end up in a shelter and I am NOT risking that.
He'll stay with me for the rest of his life.

However, Dad said I should take a puppy but they longer I have Zenzy they harder it'll be to give her back to my parents. After all it's still my mothers dog and if anyone is going to sell her she should be the one to make the decision.

It will take a while until we get the litter. She just got in heat so I have almost 5 months to go.

I just wished I could keep both and get a puppy but I guess you can't have it all.
I know that my dad is right. If I really want to get into Schutzhund Sport I have to give up at least one of them.

And the question is, is it really worth it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-11-2009, 02:45 PM
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

Re: Should I keep her or take the puppy?

I know when I take on a dog, I take it on for it's life. Unless it's really NOT a good mix for me (eats my other dogs?) OR I find a fantastic home (after they are spayed/neutered) where they'll find tons of love for the rest of their lives!!!

Specially with puppies vs. older dogs. Almost always easy to home a puppy, but it's the older dogs that end up unloved and abandoned just that bit more often.

Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus NA NAJ NF

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-11-2009, 02:45 PM
Crowned Member

I don't understand your question. So you have two dogs now, but you want to get a third puppy from a female who is in heat currently? But in order to get the puppy, you have to get rid of one of your other dogs?

If that's the case, in my opinion, no I absolutely, positively would not get rid of one dog in order to get a puppy. Then again, my dogs aren't objects to buy and sell, they're family members. Why not just train one of yours for Schutzhund?

If I wanted another puppy/dog, I would wait until I was able to get one.

- Shel

Handmade puppy and dog toys - Free Shipping
100% Proceeds to animal rescues -

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- PICS NOW UP!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-11-2009, 02:48 PM
Crowned Member

If it was me I would work with the dog I had now in Schutzhund (or if that is not possible for her, find other sports) and not get a puppy until I could have three.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jubal/Tesla (Beauceron) 3/14/14
Bianca HIC CGC TT (GSD) 4/24/04-10/23/12
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-11-2009, 02:52 PM
Crowned Member

How many dogs are actually yours? Is Zengy your parents dog? You probably aren't going to get very positive responses on getting rid of one of your dogs to get a puppy so a more in depth explanation might help here.

4 yrs is to old for what?

SG Seger vom Sitz vd Hose, IPO3, AD
G Faren vom Warkonhaus, Monkey in Training
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-11-2009, 02:53 PM

You know, I put a Rally title on my 8 year old rescue Border Collie!

I retired my then 3 year old Novice A dog (GSD) from competitive obedience when it was clear that she only did it to please me!

Will I "sell" any of them to get a puppy?
Would you sell your 10 year old to have a baby?

Packleader to:
The Germans:
Kati-CGC, CD, RN, 1/3 RA, retired - Queen of her domain and my heart

Leo - CGC, RN, RA, 2/3 RE, 1/3 URO1, 1/2HCT AHBA - Duke - in Training
The Border Collies:
Spyder - CGC, CD, CDX, RN, 2/3 ACSA CD, 2/3 UCD, Occational Lure Courser, Dance Partner, trying out as a Sheepherder
El Bandito - 1/3 URO1, 1/2 HCT AHBA
The Aussie/Kelpie:
UCD Cynder - CGC, ASCA CD, 1/3 UCDX, expert sheepherder

[url=http://s177.photobucket.com/albums/w207/csaiz/]
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-11-2009, 03:06 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted By: Jax08How many dogs are actually yours? Is Zengy your parents dog? You probably aren't going to get very positive responses on getting rid of one of your dogs to get a puppy so a more in depth explanation might help here.

4 yrs is to old for what?
Yukon is mine and Zenzy is still my parents dog but my dad offered me that if she gets at least the BH I could sell her and keep the money.

My parents are breeders so I am used of giving up dogs because that is what they did all their life. Breeding, training, selling and usually the dogs I picked for myself were amongst those that got sold.

However, the main purpose of me taking Zenzy in was to get her socialized and trained to a certain extend.

I understand very well what you all are talking about. That if you take on a dog you keep them for life. I would do the same thing but since I want to get into the sport and start breeding myself eventually I have to make decisions that will bring me where I want to be. And sometimes that means to give up a dog even if you don't want to.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-11-2009, 03:13 PM
Crowned Member

ok...so the deal was you were to train Zenzy and sell her? And does she have her BH? Have you accomplished what you intended for her?

SG Seger vom Sitz vd Hose, IPO3, AD
G Faren vom Warkonhaus, Monkey in Training
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-11-2009, 03:13 PM
Elite Member

The only person who can make this decision is you.

If you took this dog on as a "project", intending to socialize & rehabilitate, then it's just another version of fostering BUT you then owe it to the dog to be actively looking for her forever home as soon as she's ready NOT when it's the best time for you.
If she wasn't suited to life at your parents kennel (I assume they are breeders), then spay her & find her a home that is perfect for her.
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-11-2009, 03:22 PM
Elite Member

The thing is, she may be too old to compete seriously with the pros.......but she is certainly not to old to learn the game......and teach you a lot in the process. The question I have, I was unclear from your post, if it is your mother's dog, would you be returning her to your mother? If that is the case, then you would know better than anyone if the dog would have a good home or not. I'm not sure I understood the post completely, I'm afraid you may have implied that the dog was "disposable" I'm sure you did not mean that in anyway, but it is a very touchy subject here. There are so many homeless dogs..... anyway, if you want to get into the sport, you actually just might already have a nice solid stable dog to learn with. Then get a puppy in a couple of years when you can have more than two.

Betsy

Ava GSD 3.5yrs

Champ 1985, Heidi 2000

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page