Downtown Dog Rescue - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-10-2009, 11:03 AM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Downtown Dog Rescue

In my Internet travels, I came across a website for Downtown Dog Rescue, in Los Angeles. Apparently, they help homeless people to keep and care for their dogs. I think this is a great idea. I have always thought it a shame that people and families who are poor or down on their luck often can't afford to have a dog and they may be the ones who need the love of a dog the most.

Here is a brainstorm: Why couldn't an organization be started, funded by donations and working with our local shelter where people who were either down on their luck or below a certain income level could adopt a dog for free? Maybe the dogs who are already on the euthanasia list could be offered. Then the organization could offer free vet care and free dogfood to the owner either for a certain temporary period or maybe as long as they continued to prove they were low income. In my mind, the food would be delivered or they would pick it up, no cash would ever be given out. Also, there would be rules that would have to be adhered to as to the care of the dog (for example, the dog would be required to live inside the house), and volunteers would make frequent home visits to make sure the dog was being taken of. Does anyone think such a thing would work? Do you think people would give money to make it work?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-10-2009, 11:10 AM

Re: Downtown Dog Rescue

I thought you said they help HOMELESS people to keep dogs? How can you require the dog live in the house if they're homeless?

Bear- Rescue GSD
Long stock coat
Bear's Philosophy? If you can't play with it or eat it, pee on it and walk away!

All that is gold does not glitter; not all those that wander are lost.
-Tolkien, 1954

post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-10-2009, 11:28 AM
Crowned Member

it seems to me that these are the last people you'd want to adopt a dog because their life situation is so unstable.

mom to the cashman
the rescues...jeni-take-a-ride, and the c-monster
shangri la's seraphina blue (RIP 8/1/15)
hearthside's cinderfella (RIP 4/20/09)
shep von bellefontaine (RIP 6/9/10)
cricket (african grey RIP 7/13)
voodoo lily (dsh RIP 8/15)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-10-2009, 11:48 AM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

No, the idea I thought of would not work for the homeless. I suppose you may be right that the poor have an unstable situation. But then I'm not sure that little money automatically equals unstable. If the dogs offered were deathrow dogs, it might provide their last chance. As an afterthought, though, I bet in this difficult economic time, when the perception is that so many people need help, it would be hard to get anyone to donate to something such as this. I bet all of the dog charities have a harder than usual time during this time.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-10-2009, 11:49 AM
Crowned Member

There are people who are fully capable of caring for their pets and still dump them in shelters.

I used to buy cheeseburgers and ask for extra plain burgers and bacon at the local McDonald's by my parents, and I'd take to my "pals:" three homeless men and their dog. I do the same around Atlanta as well, and you'd be surprised. The majority of the dogs that the "pals" keep as companions are better cared for than persons with a home and an income and rest assured, their dog always receives its yearly vaccinations as well as have been spayed/neutered.

- Shel

Handmade puppy and dog toys - Free Shipping
100% Proceeds to animal rescues -

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- PICS NOW UP!
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-10-2009, 11:57 AM
Knighted Member

That is a wonderful idea. And your heart is totally in the right place.

I know the the shelters around here barely survive as it is...it would have to be a privately funded operation. Someone saving the doggies from death row, then finding the proper person down on their luck, then supporting them.

Which most doggies in MO are just lucky if a rescue gets them off death row. Then finds them any home.

It is over whelming. But I encourage your thinking. Something has to give.

~Kelly
Shelby (Tabby cat, 14 yrs old)
Lady (Golden Retrive Spaniel mix, 10 yrs old)
Bella (Beagle 8 yrs old)
Shadow (GSD 4 yrs old)
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-10-2009, 12:04 PM
Knighted Member

There was a similar program in Berkeley for years. It could still be running for all I know.

They actually did a study on pet ownership in the homeless population and discovered that those people who owned a pet were less likely to need hospitalization for chronic health problems, were less likely to experience a mental health crisis and were more likely access community programs. Basically, the conclusion was that a homeless pet owner was able to gain all the benefits from pet ownership that anyone else would be able to gain, and they did a decent job of caring for the pets. There were much lower instances of animal abandonment in the homeless population, the dogs had fewer behavioral issues than those living in homes did and the homeless owners were more likely to identify the pet as "family" than owners that were not homeless.

The program that was available in Berkeley included providing food for the pets, vaccinations and spay/neuters. It was an interesting concept.
Sheilah
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-10-2009, 12:10 PM
Knighted Member

Also forgot to add, there is a petfood pantry near where I live. Supported by our local pet cematary of all places (they are these WONDERFUL people), you take the food donation to them, they get it to people in need. Good program.

~Kelly
Shelby (Tabby cat, 14 yrs old)
Lady (Golden Retrive Spaniel mix, 10 yrs old)
Bella (Beagle 8 yrs old)
Shadow (GSD 4 yrs old)
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-10-2009, 01:12 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Great programs all! I was just so excited when I read about Downtown Dog Rescue. Southern Thistle, that was really nice of you, the McDonald's thing; not many people would think of that!!
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-10-2009, 01:17 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

I think I wasn't very clear that the rescue that helps the homeless and my personal idea were for two different population segments.

I did want to add that the low income portion of the population would also include many of the elderly and disabled, many of whom are not necessarily unstable, but will continue to be low income.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page