How to pet a dog www.usatoday.com/life/lifes - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-09-2009, 10:15 PM Thread Starter

How to pet a dog www.usatoday.com/life/lifes

http://www.usatoday.com/life/lifesty...tm?csp=usat.me

Dogs have given us their absolute all. We are the center of their universe, we are the focus of their love and faith and trust. They serve us in return for scraps. It is without a doubt the best deal man has ever made.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-09-2009, 11:31 PM
Crowned Member

Re: How to pet a dog www.usatoday.com/life/lifes

Good article!

Kathy

URO3,UCD Aleshanee Windridge "Kayos" CD,TDX,RE,CGC,HIC,TC
PTE,AG2,AN,URO3,UCD Xtra!Xtra! V TeMar "Havoc" CDX,GN,RE,CGC,HIC,TC,BH
UACH,URO1 Tidmores Rising Star Lydia "Mayhem" CD,BN,AX,OAJ,NF,RE,HT,TC,CGC,

Bridge
Lucky, Wolf, Max
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-09-2009, 11:48 PM
Crowned Member

someone should put these things in PSA's during morning cartoons.

-Brandi

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
6-5-09

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-10-2009, 07:54 PM

Better idea keep your nuisance kids on a leash rather than yacking on a (insert gadget here), then there wouldn't be any problem with the little darlings having their hands torn off. (yes I have little darlings as well)
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-11-2009, 12:06 AM
Crowned Member

I always used to let kids pet my dogs if they asked, but sometimes it is obvious the kids were never taught how to interact properly with a dog. Often it's a very young kid/toddler and I understand that they might not know but it is really something the parents should teach. I've had a few kids (usually really young) grab a handful of my Golden's fur and pull! If they seem unsure or start to hit/grab I always try to show them how to be gentle.
Once I was walking through the park with Ginger (my Golden Retriever) and this little girl about 3-4 walks up to us. I thought she wanted to pet my dog but she walks right up to Ginger and hits her on the head with a 20 oz. (empty) pop bottle! I quickly stepped between her and my dog and looked for the parents. The only other people around were a group sitting at a picnic table about 50 feet away and they weren't even looking our way.

I think more places need to have dog bite prevention programs for schools since obviously a lot of parents aren't teaching it. I know some places have programs where they have people go to schools and do a presentation on this. There's also at least one place that offers materials for teachers on the topic: http://www.doggonesafe.com

Jubal/Tesla (Beauceron) 3/14/14
Bianca HIC CGC TT (GSD) 4/24/04-10/23/12
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-11-2009, 08:33 AM
Crowned Member

I think it's because a lot of adults have no idea how to pet a dog. I can't count the # of people who will walk up and just grab him or start thumping on him. He's very plushy, so people will walk up and grab his mane at either side of his face and shake his head back and forth. Or just start banging him on the head, pulling his ears etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page