Diesel makes it flood when he drinks! - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-09-2009, 12:15 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Send a message via AIM to KohleePiper
Diesel makes it flood when he drinks!

I'm going crazy with Diesel and his drinking

Since I have 3 big dogs (4 on the weekends) I keep an XL stainless water bowl out all day long so my dogs can drink whenever they want. My two females are so gentle when the drink and there's rarely a drip on the floor after they are quenched.

Diesel on the other hand.......DEAR LORD!! He's a wild man when he drinks! And what makes me the most angry is he gets the last sip and litterly drips it out all the way to the living room. Drinking is fun to him! He dips his nose all the way in when he licks the water so his entire snout is drenched. Heaven forbid if Kohlee or Piper wants a drink he races to the bowl and tries to drink all the water while they are drinking so they won't get any. Total brat!

Now..... I try to rush into the kitchen and wipe his snout when he's done drinking but the little punk knows this so he drinks in "private" or when I'm going to the bathroom and can't get him dried off. He's too smart and clever! He will pretend to be sleeping and when I walk into the other room he makes a mad dash for the water bowl. Or he'll take one sip and go lay down before I come into the room...I'll walk away and then he's back in the bowl! Oh he's such a brat!!

Will one of those water pails used for horses help the flood? Or will it be worse? I keep the water bowl on a little rug which catches the spills during drinking but not when he's dripping all the way into the living room.

I don't like the idea of keeping the water bowl away from him and only having certain times he can drink...that's mean in my opinion.

Any advice?? Tips?

Jessica

Diesel - GSD Sable 09/2008
Kohlee - Belgian Groenendael 02/2007
Piper - Pit/GSD mix 08/2006
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-09-2009, 12:19 PM
Knighted Member

Re: Diesel makes it flood when he drinks!

I dont know. My dog does the same LOL
I have to take the mop out when hes done!
I dont think you can really do anything about it....

Kilo- GSD
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-09-2009, 12:33 PM
Crowned Member

Same problem in the house. But I can't use real large containers because there are four kitties and Murphy that need to drink out of it also. I use stainless steel bowls, but the problem with Sammy is that he back washes into the water so it's full of slobber. The poor cats and Murphy then have to drink that mess, so I'm constanting changing water in the bowls. Doesn't seem to bother the other critters to drink it, but it totally grosses me out!

He likes to hang out with my hubby in the garage (man cave - Flat screen, refrig, carpet) so I keep a 2.5 gal. bucket out there and only fill it half way. That seems to stop a lot of the problem because he has to pull his head up from the bucket and some of the dripping stays in. Wish I could use the same thing inside, but none of the others would be able to drink out of it.

Kris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Murphy, Sheltie/Keeshond, 10/31/91-10/3/10
Max, GSD, 6/3/96 - 4/26/08
Kitties: Taz, Chessy, Jacki and Lucy
Samson, GSD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-09-2009, 12:44 PM
Crowned Member

Stark is kinda the same way, atleast in the getting the entire floor wet with drooly water sense. He will drink, see something that else that interest him and open his mouth which is full of water.. drool, puddle, drool, wet socks, drool.. I have his water bowl in his crate now so he can make most of the mess in a contained area.

G Wild Winds Zephyr of Cognac BH, HIC, NTD, ITD, CGN, TT
Wild Winds Archangel Raphael HIC, TT
XX z Weberhaus
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-09-2009, 01:00 PM
Crowned Member

I don't have to wash my kitchen floor any more with Brady just wipe up all the water and floor is cleaned!!

Yup Brady is a slob water every where
Missy not a drop on the floor go figure

Dawn
GSRNE Volunteer
"A dog a day keeps the Doctor away!"

proudly owned by:
Brady von Barren Berg, CGC GSD 5/4/05
Cooper von Nordosten, GSD 12/27/10
Missy, Chocolate Lab 3/9/03
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-09-2009, 01:28 PM
Master Member

Sorry but the way you worded that had me laughing! I feel your pain. Tanis does the same thing. At one point I laid out a full size bath towel under the bowl and it helped some but since he doesnt want to miss any little bit of action he leaves the bowl so quickly that he takes his mess through the house.

What makes me so upset is that he digs outside and try as I might I cant get all the dirt off his feet. So he goes and drinks and drips and makes a mess, walks in it and then makes muddy paw prints through the house. I cant keep anything clean. My poor baby has dirty knees all time. You'd think I never cleaned my house.

Bella doesnt do this. Must be a guy thing. And here I was hoping it was a puppy thing...

Jen

Bella Sara 7/04/07
Niyol Von Der Sauk a/k/a Tanis 6/1/09
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-09-2009, 01:31 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

LOL! I'm not alone in this! I feel your pain!!

I joked about getting him one of those gerble/hamster water bottles that u hang on the crate LOL. He'd be there all day drinking!

Jessica

post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-09-2009, 01:32 PM
Master Member

Hmm, it's not a guy thing according to Chyanne! I have a beach towel under her water bowl, and even that does not work! It's like she waits to get to the floor to start dripping! LOL

Chantell

Chyanne-GSD-3/22/09
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-09-2009, 01:35 PM
Master Member

Mine both do the same thing. We got a large Rubbermaid square container and put their water bowl inside of that. It doesn't help with the drippy snout, but it does help contain the worse of the flood when they are drinking. We used to do the towel under the bowl, but I would find the towel pretty sopped by the end of the day. And the wet towel sitting against a baseboard didn't seem to be a really good idea either.

Johanna

Aodhán (GSD)- Mar 2002
Caleb (Quill vom kleinen Teich) - Mar 2009
Rica (GSD)- Nov 1996 - July 2009 RIP
Max (GSDx) - 1983 - 1998 RIP
Kelly (GSD) - 1986 - 1996 RIP
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-09-2009, 01:40 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: Chantell34It's like she waits to get to the floor to start dripping! LOL
exactly!!

Jessica

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page