renting and a GSD - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-07-2009, 07:09 PM Thread Starter

renting and a GSD

A friend of mine ended up renting a house after moving from his apt. He mentioned to the land lord that he has a GSD and they told him he was not allowed to keep it because due to there home owners insurance coverage. They say there listed under dangerous dog list. I told my buddy that he should just get hs own insurance. Is there anything he can do?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-07-2009, 07:16 PM
Crowned Member

Re: renting and a GSD

No, if the landlords insurance won't cover it, your friend will have to find another place. The landlord has to be willing to go with a company that will cover GSD's for their renters and it is even MORE difficult than finding regular homeowners insurance that will accept GSD's!!!

I rent to a lady with a GSD and I have to go with a specific insurance company. It is a quite a bit more expensive but for me it is worth it. I would hope that if I was ever in the position of having to rent someone would be willing to go the extra mile for me.

TAMMY
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-07-2009, 07:18 PM Thread Starter

so can he get his own insurance to cover the GS?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-07-2009, 07:21 PM
Elite Member

No. The landlord has homeowner insurance. You have to be the homeowner to have. Since she owns the home, she has the policy and her policy doesn't allow it. All he can get is rents insurance. Still a smart thing to do, but it doesn't cover the same things as homeowners. Her policy covers the house. Your friends policy only covers everything inside. If his dog bit someone, they could sue the homeowner, since the policy doesn't allow it. Its a no go.

-Kira

Fur Family:
Dakota "Koda" GSD 02/20/2008
Chloe Calico 9/21/2007

"The great pleasure of a dog is that you may make a fool of yourself with him and not only will he not scold you, but he will make a fool of himself too"
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-07-2009, 07:30 PM
Crowned Member

Yeah, the renter's just covers the "stuff", as in the dog as a possession, if he got stolen. But say someone gets bit and sues, that goes against the homeowner's as an incident that took place on the property (like if a kid got hurt on your swingset). It has to do with the "place" and not just the "stuff".
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-07-2009, 07:30 PM Thread Starter

I told him to just tell the next landlord that hes a mix breed
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-07-2009, 07:42 PM
Crowned Member

then what will he do if something happens, the landlord's homeowner's insurance doesn't cover it because the agent finds out that there is an "outlawed" dog on the property and then your friend get slapped with a couple lawsuits??

that said, I rent and have 2 GSDs. thank god my landlord doesn't care...
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-07-2009, 07:48 PM
Crowned Member

Probably not a good idea to lie to the landlord. They probably will have a lease that says no _________'s. And if they go into it with an illegal dog they may get kicked out.

Better to just look around and find someone sympathetic to his/her situation. You can find places that will rent to GSD's it will just take more time.

TAMMY
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-07-2009, 08:02 PM
Elite Member

Like everyone else wrote, better to be honest and find a place with a decent landlord than be evicted and thrown out in the street in the middle of Winter,

RAMSEY 10/07

Mark.o
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-07-2009, 08:34 PM
Knighted Member

I rent and while my landlord specified certain dogs that are not allowed GSD's are not one of them, thank goodness. I would not lie to them tho as that is grounds for eviction!

Nadia - GSD -DOB 12-29-07
Zisso - GSD- DOB 9-16-07
Pepe & Kiki`my sweet kitties

Zisso is my heart~Nadia is my Love~My kitties bring me everything in between~Together they bring me Joy!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page