I need help with my paper.... - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-07-2009, 05:48 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

I need help with my paper....

I am doing my research paper on euthanasia by injection vs. gassing chambers....It is due the 9th of this month....I have one more thing i need and that is something from a BOOK...well i wanted miracle dog how quentin survived...however our library does not have it. I need an e-book or something...is there anyone who can help me. Please.

Andrea.....

Love all my kids 2 and 4 legged.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-07-2009, 07:20 PM
Elite Member

Re: I need help with my paper....

I looked on Google books and it's not on there for free. Amazon has it, maybe you could get next day delivery? That's cutting it short though, I hope you're able to find the book!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-07-2009, 11:54 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Thanks, i don't know what i am going to do.

Andrea.....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-08-2009, 02:03 AM

have you tried googling quentin? try googling euthanasia, the different types you're writing about and dogs; you might be surprised at how much info you can find on the web
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-08-2009, 02:09 AM

andrea

i just googled "quentin the dog and euthanasia" and got a whole bunch of hits about this basenji mix dog who survived a gas chamber euthanasia; i don't know exactly what you're looking for to include in your paper, but i bet there's enough there for you to write a paper about...and there are some pics of the dog

hope this helps

good luck,
ellen
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-08-2009, 02:31 AM
Crowned Member

If you just need to include a book source, I'd get the "Quentin" info for elsewhere if you want to include it and then search on Google Books for the key words in your topic to find a book that IS available in your library or on Google Books in order to fullfill the 'book' requirement.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jubal/Tesla (Beauceron) 3/14/14
Bianca HIC CGC TT (GSD) 4/24/04-10/23/12
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-08-2009, 09:46 AM Thread Starter
Master Member

Thanks a million guys....this really helps. Need some fresh eyes i think.

Andrea.....

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-08-2009, 03:05 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

okay everyone...paper is done...will you guys please read and tell me what you think...i would greatly appreciate it.

If you had to choose which way an animal should be euthanized, which do you think that you would choose? Death by injection or be gassed to death in a chamber? Now the definition of euthanasia is the act or practice of killing or permitting the death of hopelessly sick or injured individuals in a relatively painless way for reasons of mercy.
According to Attorney Jordan Matyas,Ē Injection into the vein is the most common method, itís the cheapest method and itís the most humane method, instead of taking 45 minutes like in the gas chamber, the injection only takes seconds and itís painless.Ē When animals are shoved in this box, they start to panic when they hear the hissing noises of the gas coming in, they start fighting and biting each other they will also start to urinate, defecate, vomit all over each other, as they are gasping for air. The animals donít always die in the gas chambers: Investigations have shown that some shelter personnel have admitted to breaking kittensí and puppiesí necks with shovels when they would not die from the CO or drowning animals in buckets of water. Pets have also been thrown against walls and beaten. Because the howls and cries of the animals this is the time that animal shelter workers will go to lunch, just so they donít have to hear what they are ultimately doing to these poor helpless creatures.
Eliminating gas chambers would also eliminate the danger of carbon monoxide exposure to county employees, in turn eliminating lawsuits and workers compensation claims. Chambers do not have gauges to monitor the CO percentages, making it impossible to tell if the gas will reach lethal level or merely make animals unconscious. This also increases risk for an incident or explosion with CO build up. In fact, as recently as July, of 2008 in Iredell County, North Carolina, the gas chamber exploded with 10 dogs crammed inside. An employee was present, with other workers in the next room. The fan and other equipment were not explosion proof. Imagine the risk to workers at these shelters that still use this form of euthanasia, if the CO was to leak out. It may go unnoticed as the CO gas has no odor or color.
The one objection to euthanize by injection would be if the employee accidently poked him/herself with the needle, however it would take a syringe much larger than the one used and it would have to be injected directly into a vein. It is highly unlikely that that would occur so the danger to the human is extremely slight.
When we used this chamber on human beings, people were advised to take in deep breaths to shorten their suffering- this is simply something we cannot tell these animals to do. So yes they are going to struggle and fight to live.
A study that was done in 2009 by the North Carolina municipal animal control shows comparison of both. Start up for injection is less than $1000.00, including CAET certification and the handling of a licensed drug. According to this study cost per animal is $2.29 per animal with injection vs. $2.77 with gas. If done according to AVMA standards, the costs to use a carbon monoxide chamber are comparable to the costs for using injection. The number of dogs and cats euthanized in 2002 was 7,473 according to data from an animal shelter organization. The cost to use carbon monoxide poisoning is $13,230.00, vs. $12,700 for the cost of injection, so as you can see the costs are comparable. So for one to say that gas is considerably cheaper is just simply not true.
There have been some animals survive the gas chamber only to be closed back up in it and put through it until they die, however there is one that comes to mind that got lucky. His name is Quentin, Quentin was due to die in August 2003, however when the gas chamber door was opened there stood a big eared red basenji puppy staring back at the person that just tried killing him. He was standing on top of seven dead dogs. Quentin now has a home with Randy Grimm, and they have written a book, and are touring all around the world to get gas chambers closed down. The one that unsuccessfully tried killing Quentin was shut down in January 2005. "Our plight is to one day see a no kill country where we don't have to kill animals that are adoptable," Randy says.
I have personally had to put a dog to sleep and it was the hardest thing that I have ever had to do. But I was able to be there and comfort him, pet him, tell him that we loved him. It took just a few seconds maybe minutes but he didnít suffer. That is all I was worried about was that he didnít suffer. I just could not imagine putting him in a chamber with seven or so other dogs, and going through all that horrible, cruel suffering. Death is supposed to be peaceful, I donít call that peaceful. Most of the animals that are put in these chambers are strays; why not give them an end of caring, and loving before they meet their final destination. I think that if we have made this illegal to do to in humans because it was considered inhumane and cruel treatment than why on earth are we doing this to our animals. Yes, we, because our tax dollars pay for this kind of treatment. Just think about putting a family member or friend in this chamberÖ.Would you want to see them suffer like that, the way these animals do? And they are supposed to be your family also. Just remember if you get an animal be responsible for it, donít let It be treated this way.

Andrea.....

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-08-2009, 08:49 PM

andrea
nice job writing this; and it's very informative; i had no idea
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-08-2009, 09:51 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

thank you ellen366

Andrea.....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page