Question and free feeding and non free feeding - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 46 (permalink) Old 12-06-2009, 09:56 PM Thread Starter

Question and free feeding and non free feeding

I've reached a snag into things with getting my puppy and I was wondering what do you guys think I can do with my problem. I live at home with my parents and I'm planning on moving out in about two years (this is my I would like to get my puppy now wile I live with someone else to help with training and stuff) but my mom is a firm beliver in free feeding, I'm not to crazy about the idean and we have had a few fights over it. She is going to let me do what ever I want with the puppy but she says that no manner what she will not stop free feeding my my aussie or the cats. Is there any way I can have a free fed dog and a non free fed dog?

(Also I wasn't sure if this would be a health or a training question so I though that I would put this here to be safe.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 46 (permalink) Old 12-06-2009, 10:03 PM
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

Re: Question and free feeding and non free feeding

I do free feed my cats, but my dogs get two meals a day. The cats have their own room, protected by a baby gate, so the dogs can't get at their food or litter box. I'm not sure how you'd do it with two dogs though, unless you keep them completely separate. In order for the aussie to get at his/her food your puppy will have access to it as well unless you can figure out some way around that logistical problem.

Did your mom say why it's so important to her that your aussie is free fed? Does she just not want to bother with feeding regular meals? I'm sure it's easier to just fill the bowl when it's empty, but maybe there's more to it that just isn't occurring to me at the moment.

-Debbie-
Cava 1/6/18
Keefer 8/25/05-4/24/19 ~ The sweetest boy
Halo 11/9/08-6/17/18 ~ You left pawprints on our hearts
Dena 9/12/04-10/4/08 ~ Forever would have been too short
Cassidy 6/8/00-10/4/04
post #3 of 46 (permalink) Old 12-06-2009, 10:07 PM Thread Starter

She can't stand to see an empty bowl is all it is. I try to only feed Missy twice a day (wet food in the morning with all her medication in it, and then her dry at night) and she dose fine with it. Though if mom sees her bowl empty she will just fill it up and let it sit there. Missy will not eat dearing the day at all even if there is food.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 46 (permalink) Old 12-06-2009, 10:32 PM
Crowned Member

If you can't change her mind about free feeding maybe you can change the way she does it?
For example she could fill the bowl up but then keep it somewhere and offer it to the dog for short periods throughout the day instead of the bowl sitting on the floor all the time.

Another option is just take the bowl and hide it away so it's NOT sitting there empty!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jubal/Tesla (Beauceron) 3/14/14
Bianca HIC CGC TT (GSD) 4/24/04-10/23/12
post #5 of 46 (permalink) Old 12-06-2009, 11:08 PM
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted By: RadarsShadowShe can't stand to see an empty bowl is all it is.
Well no offense, but that's the dumbest reason ever! Chicagocanine has a good idea, don't leave the empty bowls laying around.

-Debbie-
Cava 1/6/18
Keefer 8/25/05-4/24/19 ~ The sweetest boy
Halo 11/9/08-6/17/18 ~ You left pawprints on our hearts
Dena 9/12/04-10/4/08 ~ Forever would have been too short
Cassidy 6/8/00-10/4/04
post #6 of 46 (permalink) Old 12-07-2009, 12:06 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to EmilyK0429

I don't know how to get someone to change. My parents are the same way with their dogs. Luckily I don't have Meega there that often as now we have a diagnosis of EPI.

Personally I do not free feed any of my animals. I have a cat who would sit there eating all day or until he was sick. Then with Meega I can't as I have to do special preparation to her food.
post #7 of 46 (permalink) Old 12-07-2009, 12:08 AM
Crowned Member

I agree!!! And Chicago has a great idea. Of course if none of these work I guess you are stuck til you move out. It is not hard to teach a free fed dog to get used to 2 meals a day.

Kathy

URO3,UCD Aleshanee Windridge "Kayos" CD,TDX,RE,CGC,HIC,TC
PTE,AG2,AN,URO3,UCD Xtra!Xtra! V TeMar "Havoc" CDX,GN,RE,CGC,HIC,TC,BH
UACH,URO1 Tidmores Rising Star Lydia "Mayhem" CD,BN,AX,OAJ,NF,RE,HT,TC,CGC,

Bridge
Lucky, Wolf, Max
post #8 of 46 (permalink) Old 12-07-2009, 12:24 AM
Crowned Member

How about trying to reason with Mom. Explain to her that one of the FIRST signs of a dog feeling sick is that they stop eating. If you free feed it's hard to know WHEN the dogs stops eating.

You will have hard time trying to teach a puppy that it cannot eat out of a full bowl of food sitting on the floor.
post #9 of 46 (permalink) Old 12-07-2009, 04:46 PM
Elite Member

Consider what you're asking here: you want your mom to modify a behavior that she believes is the right thing, think back to when your mom wanted <u>you</u> to modify a behavior that you believed was the right thing ...

Your mom has probably done lot for you over the years, so be respectful & sensitive of her feelings - this is NOT your roommate being a have you done anything besides talk at her?
Try & find something else she can do with your aussie - & this means you need to do it with her until she's as comfortable in this new behavior as she was in the old.
Get some healthy treats that she can give your dog through the day (pre-measure a daily amount & place this in a pretty jar so she can always judge whats left for the rest of the day); or only feed him a snack for breakfast & then allow her to feed him the rest of his food as 'treats' through the day (this might involve a change in his foods).

You can try feeding & then removing the dishes & this may help OR she may just get another dish out

Try & win this one on the dogs, then next year try to get her off free feeding the cats too
post #10 of 46 (permalink) Old 12-07-2009, 05:06 PM

I free feed the dog and cat. With the dog I keep a record of when and how much I add to his bowl. It ends up averaging 3 cups a day. He eats when he wants to and takes the worry out of not knowing they are eating regular since you can look in the bowl and look on the calendar.

Since we feed him in the kitchen, he usually eats when we do. Since we don't always eat at home, he does eat at other times also. It's just best to keep a record like we do if you are going to do it. We keep a calendar on top of the container we keep the food in... Every time you add food you just right it down.

WOW
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page