Pet-Friendly (GSD-friendly) Vacations... - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-02-2009, 04:08 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Pet-Friendly (GSD-friendly) Vacations...

I KNOW that all of you know how difficult it can be to find a vacation rental (cabin, etc.) that allows you to bring your dogs. There are several rentals that allow small dogs, but it's hard to convince someone that your 80 lbs Shepherd isn't going to do any harm.

Andrew and I have started putting together a list of our favorite vacation spots that have allowed us to bring both our German Shepherd and our Pit Bull, and I thought I would share some with you. Most of these are in Georgia, but if any other members have others to share....feel free to add them....

- Shel

Handmade puppy and dog toys - Free Shipping
100% Proceeds to animal rescues -

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- PICS NOW UP!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-02-2009, 04:09 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Re: Pet-Friendly (GSD-friendly) Vacations...

Southern Cross Guest Ranch
http://southcross.com
Madison, Georgia

Southern Cross Guest Ranch makes you feel like you're spending carefree time at a wealthy relative's house. It is an all-inclusive (or not, depending on what you want), guest ranch. Don't think cows and cowboys, but more B&B type with more food and activities

If you get the all-inclusive horseback package, you get two (2) hour trails per day, and after your first ride, you can go out on your own (min. of two people per ride).

The food is great and is offered in a buffet-style, but it's not standard buffet faire. Our favorite treat? Homemade chocolate chip cookies available 24/7.

DOGS: All non-aggressive dogs (that means individual dogs...not breed) are welcome, but they are not allowed in the guest rooms or dining halls. You can rent a horse stall for them (very nice - very well built) for them to stay in and are welcome to care for them/visit them at ANY time. You can walk the trails with them, etc. The stalls are 14 ft. by 14 ft. (at least) and no one else will have access to your dogs except you (and the barn staff in case of emergencies.) You can request that your dogs are moved away from areas that are busy/loud, etc. as well.

- Shel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- PICS NOW UP!
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-02-2009, 04:14 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

* I shouldn't be telling you guys about this cabin because it's our favorite, but I will anyways - lol! *

$115 nt or $700 wk
Georgia Mountain Getaway
http://www.vrbo.com/229943

We LOOOOOOVE this cabin. I have posted photos of it before. It has 3 bedrooms and 2-1/2 bathrooms. It has dog-friendly hardwood floors and berber carpet. It is tastefully decorated, and all you have to bring is food, clothes, and toiletries. There is a small spring-fed pond in the front, and the BEST part....it has a LARGE doggie door and doggie-safe fencing (3 panel wooden fencing with small-squared hog wire to prevent escapees).

The cabin sits on top of a hill on the side of a mountain in Sky Valley, Georgia (near Dillard, Georgia). It has seasonal mountain views and is SO peaceful. It has a hot tub, satellite t.v., a great grill, fishing poles for the pond, and doggie towels to dry and wipe your pups down after playtime.

Grimm LOVES it. The owners of the cabin are very friendly and dog people (Labrador Retrievers) themselves.

There is NO pet deposit. There is NO cleaning deposit. There are NO hidden fees.

* We plan on spending a couple of days of our honeymoon here in 2011. *

- Shel

- PICS NOW UP!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-02-2009, 05:17 PM
Crowned Member

Great idea!

Beach-Gulf Shores/Gulf Coast Alabama

This is where we stayed last September, Beach Breeze...great beach house, yes HOUSE that allows dogs with no deposit or cleaning fee and were fine with a GSD. Great guy to work with, the house was across the street from the beach, had a shower downstairs and a hosepipe for washing off doggies, a nice little culdesac neighborhood for walking/pooping/potty time. There are other properties listed that also accept pets.

We're going back next year for a full week!

http://www.relaxonthebeach.com/alaba...ls-f23123.html

Tiffany; mom to:
Annabelle "the Diva"- GSD born 9/21/08
Duncan- Shep Mix adopted on 2/14/00 TDI
The kitty amigos: Simon, Alley and Mia
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-02-2009, 05:38 PM
Crowned Member

Clarion Resort Fontainebleau Hotel in Ocean City, Maryland; there are floors especially for pets. One guy came with two Newfoundlands.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-02-2009, 05:59 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Seventy-Four Ranch
Jasper, Georgia
http://seventyfourranch.com/
Prices vary for rooms and cabins

We haven't been to Seventy-Four Ranch, but we plan on it. It's a Bed & Breakfast on a working ranch. There are some rooms you can rent, and there is also a bunk cabin and a VERY primitive "cowboy cabin" (think no glass on the windows, no t.v., etc.)

There are hearty breakfasts and horseback riding as well as other ranch activities.

Dogs of all breeds are welcome; however, as with most places, you have to give them advanced notice. Dogs stay FREE of charge (no extra fees, etc.). The area in which the house and cabins sit is on 3 acres of wooden and mesh fencing (to prevent escapees!)Gates have dog-proof latches. They ask that if you do bring your dog, you let them know in advance so they can introduce your dog to the farm dogs, etc. and you can introduce your dogs to their horses and cows as well.

- Shel

- PICS NOW UP!
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-02-2009, 06:30 PM
DnP
Elite Member

Hutchin's Mountview Cottages, Bar Harbor, Maine
Hutchin's Mountainview Cottages

This place is family run place. The cottages vary in size. We've stayed in both the efficiency size and the "apartment". The "apartment" is actually in the basement of the cottage the owner's sister lives in. There are other cottages that can comfortably accommodate two families or a very large family. All cottages and the apartment have either full kitchens or kitchenettes with either small stoves or full size stoves, frigs, pots, pans, etc. All of the cottages have a great view from their porches of Cadillac Mountain. Nice to sit out, have a glass of wine after a day of hiking/adventuring and just relax.

June, the owner, is a former Bar Harbor K9 officer and customs agent. Dogs are very welcome and it's a great place to take your dog on vacation as Bar Harbor and Acadia NP are extremely dog friendly. We've gone there there the past two years in the Fall and enjoyed ourselves greatly. Phoenix had big fun on the hiking trails as well as playing with other dogs who were staying at the cottages. We utilized the kitchen by going to a lobster pound and getting and boiling our own lobsters. I have a favorite lobster pount I can recommend to anyone looking.

There is NO pet deposit, cleaning deposit or hidden fees.

Diana

Bentley - the light that brought me out of the darkness

RIP Phoenix, Brightstar Rescue, 2006 - 5/6/2017
RIP Dakota 1/5/93 - 10/23/2006
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-02-2009, 09:05 PM
Crowned Member

I just wanted to say I haven't had many problems finding dog-friendly cabins myself, I've taken a large dog on almost every vacation for the last 11 years and a lot of those were cabins/cottages (some we stayed in hotels or bed and breakfasts.)
I don't have a list because I always forget to save the contact information for places we stay, but I do have info on the last place we stayed in Wisconsin Dells:
http://sandcounty.com/LTH.HTM
"Lighthouse on Blass Lake"

And here are some photos--

NYC and Maine:
http://www.chicagocanine.com/ginger/maine.html

Kettle Moraine WI:
http://www.chicagocanine.com/photos/.../vacation.html

Smoky Mountains and Gatlinburg TN:
http://www.chicagocanine.com/ginger/smokeypics.html

Wisconsin Dells:
http://www.chicagocanine.com/dells/dells07.html

Shawano WI:
http://www.chicagocanine.com/ginger/shawano.html

Springfield IL:
http://www.chicagocanine.com/photos/vac09/

St. Louis:
http://www.chicagocanine.com/photos/vac09/stl/

Jubal/Tesla (Beauceron) 3/14/14
Bianca HIC CGC TT (GSD) 4/24/04-10/23/12
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-02-2009, 09:10 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

For me...it's finding the "right" rental. I'm sure there are several pet-friendly vacation places, but I prefer ones that aren't commercialized, are off the beaten path, owned or operated by true dog-lovers, and my preference is one with dog-friendly fencing

- Shel

- PICS NOW UP!
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-02-2009, 10:24 PM
Crowned Member

GREAT THREAD!!!

TAMMY
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page