A costly fault of my own - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-01-2009, 11:35 PM Thread Starter

A costly fault of my own

I just recently posted in the newbie section, just got my first GSD.

https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...=1#Post1273905

I took Damian to get his 10 week shots the other week, the vet noticed a lump on his back right hing leg, directly next to his tail. It was probably the size of a golf ball, how did I miss that? The vet didn't seemed concerned, just wanted me to keep an eye on it. The day (Sunday) I woke up and checked it. It seemed to have gotten a bit stiffer. I jumped to conclusions and called the animal hospital immediately. After 6 hours at the hospital, they came ot to tell me they don't have a clue what it is, nor have they seen anything like this. They told me they took a blood sample and it doesn't seem to be infectious. They faxed over all of the paperwork to my regular vet and I planned to take him there the next day. The hospital assured me they only see the worst of th worst normally, so that is why they have never seen this before. They were nice enough to charge me $400 to tell me nothing, haha. The next morning I took Damian to the vet, pretty much got the same answer from them, but they took a blood sample to send in to have it reviewed. That night, I call the breeder to see if they know about this problem. HAH.

Come to find out, the puppy grates were switched from 1/2" to 1" to keep the pens cleaner, but this caused skin to kind of fall through and hang. Blood and serom filled up in the loose skin causing the issue. Come to find out, their puppy that they kept had the same exact issue in the same exact spot. Their vet explained what the problem was, and told me it would go away after some time.

Damian is 12 weeks now and the lump is half the size it was two weeks ago, almost gone.

Moral of the story, call the breeder first. I made the wrong choice, haha.

$1500 for the pup
$400 animal hospital
$380 vet check

All before his 12 week birthday, lol!

Not to mention his shot bills, food, etc.

All in a good days work! Good thing I love this dog.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-01-2009, 11:52 PM
Crowned Member

Re: A costly fault of my own

Glad he is okay and it was nothing serious.

But why would the breeder use grates in the puppy pen? It almost sounds like he was living in a cage. Maybe it is a good thing you got him out of there!

Kathy

URO3,UCD Aleshanee Windridge "Kayos" CD,TDX,RE,CGC,HIC,TC
PTE,AG2,AN,URO3,UCD Xtra!Xtra! V TeMar "Havoc" CDX,GN,RE,CGC,HIC,TC,BH
UACH,URO1 Tidmores Rising Star Lydia "Mayhem" CD,BN,AX,OAJ,NF,RE,HT,TC,CGC,

Bridge
Lucky, Wolf, Max
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-01-2009, 11:54 PM
Master Member

""Come to find out, the puppy grates were switched from 1/2" to 1" to keep the pens cleaner, but this caused skin to kind of fall through and hang. Blood and serom filled up in the loose skin causing the issue. Come to find out, their puppy that they kept had the same exact issue in the same exact spot. Their vet explained what the problem was, and told me it would go away after some time.""

What ???? I don't get it?? Grates? you mean they were standing on wire? skin falling through? What ? please help me understand the living condition your $1,500.00 puppy was in?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Wonderful companions with the potential for so much more."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-01-2009, 11:56 PM Thread Starter

I'm very much a newbie when it comes to having a pure bred, I always felt bad for the sheltered dogs and have taken them home, lol. I've always wanted a GSD and finally made it happen.

I'm not sure why they used grates, but the breeder seems very knowledgable, have helped me throughout everything, and seems to be reputable. So I plan to stick by what they say.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-01-2009, 11:58 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted By: Crooked Creek""Come to find out, the puppy grates were switched from 1/2" to 1" to keep the pens cleaner, but this caused skin to kind of fall through and hang. Blood and serom filled up in the loose skin causing the issue. Come to find out, their puppy that they kept had the same exact issue in the same exact spot. Their vet explained what the problem was, and told me it would go away after some time.""

What ???? I don't get it?? Grates? you mean they were standing on wire? skin falling through? What ? please help me understand the living condition your $1,500.00 puppy was in?
Thats pretty much it. I've never known that to be an issue, I am anewbie at this, as mentioned above.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-02-2009, 12:02 AM
Banned

you did the right thing. go to the Vet first.
by the time my pup was 12 weeks old he cost me
the same (or close) as yours. i have a feeling
a lot of people can say the same thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted By: ch3ckpo1ntI just recently posted in the newbie section, just got my first GSD.

https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...=1#Post1273905

Moral of the story, call the breeder first. I made the wrong choice, haha.

$1500 for the pup
$400 animal hospital
$380 vet check

All before his 12 week birthday, lol!

Not to mention his shot bills, food, etc.

All in a good days work! Good thing I love this dog.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-02-2009, 12:09 AM
Knighted Member

Thanks for sharing your experience, sorry you had to spend so much money, hope he heals fast, I know you love him and were scared for his health. the grate sounds weird to me too.

Heidi, human mom to
Daisy, 6 yr JRT
Bella, 3 yr GSD
Bo, 2 yr GSD
Rest in Peace,
Kasey, GSD Shelter 8/96-12/07 at the Bridge
Patches, CS Shelter 4/93-4/05 at the Bridge
Keisha, GSD 12/87-10/96 at the Bridge
Tarsha, GSD my sweet 16 BD at the Bridge
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-02-2009, 12:37 AM
Banned

Sorry that you seemingly wasted so much money.

However I must give a big thumbs up to you for sharing your experience and warning others and for being such a caring owner that you're willing to spend so much money on your dog.

I live in a poor neighborhood and am horrified that hardly anyone in the neighborhood gets vaccines, heartworm, wormer, or yearly vet check for their dogs because they claim they are so poor; yet they buy premium brand-name beer, smoke pre-rolled premium brand-name cigarettes, and many of them blow more than $100 a month on gambling (bingo, horse track, and lottery), have big-screen TV sets, many of them eat out every day, some of them do illicit drugs, etc....

I feel that some of them have their priorities/morals screwed up.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-02-2009, 01:13 AM Thread Starter

I really just wanted to post the story so someone can refer to it if they ever have the same issue. I searched a bit here and couldn't find any info related to this situation.

I am somewhat of a complainer myself about bills and being short on money, but I have no one to blame other than myself. I'm the one who chose to purchase a brand new 2010 Tundra and gave myself a car payment. But if my dog needs to go to the vet, thats something that can't be held off for a truck payment or a cell phone bill. Luckily, I am a non-smoker, non-drinker of any sort, and not a gambler at all. So at least I don't have those excuses for being short on money, haha.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-02-2009, 01:59 AM

Don't feel bad taking care of your baby, at least you do. Glad you posted because it shows that sometimes the simplest things turn out to be the answer- even if the grate thing does sound weird.

When our pup got major runs just before our vacation we panicked. He was going to stay with breeder and I didn't want to send sick pup. He woke up really lethargic and still pooping. But coinsidentally he had eaten, then thrown up a $5 that had dropped on floor without our knowing.

Took him to vet. We wanted to test for giardia because he had gone to a dog park (we will never do that again). Doc wanted to test for that, then other worm things, then something else then next step would be pancreatic issues. Well, dh is in medicine so I had him speak to vet since they could talk medicine with each other better than I could. Vet agreed with dh that there were no symptoms for the pancreas and to start simple and work up. So we ran the cootie tests and all were negative. Pup was feeling fine and had no other symptoms other than pooping. Dh and vet agreed to some meds of Amoxicillin, Metronidazole and Panacur.

I called breeder and she said a little poopy pup was nothing to worry about, bring him on up. She agreed to give meds for us. When she saw the meds and heard we spent nearly $200 for them she freaked. She said it was all overkill and just the panacur alone was enough. She also said the dosage give was enough for a horse but luckily would not harm him. On her advise we stopped the meds except the panacur single dose already given. She has a large kennel and a vet on call if anything happens. We only took her advise because these are her dogs, she has been doing this a long time and has reputation behind her name. Pup ended up being fine. ( I would not recommend someone not following advise of their vet, I only did so based on my breeders knowledge and fact that my dh is in medicine and agreed with breeder based on dh's knowledge of medicine. Otherwise I would have asked breeder to give the meds)

My coworker had same problem with poopy pup. Went to vet and spent under $50 for same cootie tests and was sent home with advise to adjust his diet and watch him for a few days. Her pup was fine within 2days,

Moral of stories is that sometimes we love our buddies and go to the extreme and kick ourselves after the bill. But our buddy is safe and healthy. So I have enough amoxicillin to cure a nation, and I am allergic to it and my dh could have written the same script for me to fill at Walmart for $4. but my pup is healthy and I will just skip a few meals out to pay for it all.

It is all good. Love them all you can!

The only fault our friends have is that they don't live long enough.

Tank (10/24/08) WGSD
Sealy (9/24/08ish) rescue, Snowshoe Siamese

Lochsa (10/3/93-8/16/07) American GSD
Kiki (10/87-10/21/04 12:00am) small, all-over tortie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page