Dogs 101: "Designer Breeds" - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-30-2009, 04:18 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Dogs 101: "Designer Breeds"

I think this was a repeat showing that took place this weekend, but we watched a "Dogs 101esigner Breeds" show on Animal Planet this weekend. Has anyone else seen it?

I walked in while the woman was comparing a Puggle to a "miniature Mastiff." I sure hope she was talking solely about the coloration.

- Shel

Handmade puppy and dog toys - Free Shipping
100% Proceeds to animal rescues -

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- PICS NOW UP!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-30-2009, 04:21 PM
Elite Member

Re: Dogs 101: "Designer Breeds"

"Overpriced Mutts" would be a better title!

Java Haus Juris, CGC - 6/2/2012
Kessey "Koch" Von der Sauk - 10/26/2008 - 04/23/2011 - Pronounced "Coke"
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-30-2009, 04:28 PM
Crowned Member

Is there a barfing icon?

Malinois Ronja - fastest K-9 in VT
=^^= Finn, Ratchet & Ollie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
-

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-30-2009, 04:32 PM
Crowned Member

don't say I never gave you nothing

-Jenn

Venus of Crooked Creek 1/26/13
Otto von Hena-C 05/23/08
Morgan Donnermond 08/04/01 to 9/28/12 Long Live the Queen!

I have duct tape and I am not afraid to use it.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-30-2009, 04:46 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Awesome barfing icon.

They had....Labradoodles....Chorkies (I think), Chiweenies, Puggles, etc.

Grimm, for some reason, HATES Puggles. He barked at the one in "I Love You, Man" even if it was on the screen a split second. You say, "puggle," and he barks under his breath.

- Shel

Handmade puppy and dog toys - Free Shipping
100% Proceeds to animal rescues -

- PICS NOW UP!
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-30-2009, 04:47 PM
Crowned Member

I saw it...DH and I were not impressed. They did a lot on the doodles...golden and labradoodles.

The chiweenies (chiauahas ((sp?)) bred with weiner dogs) were just not that attractive to me, but maybe because those are two dog breeds I don't like. And the Yorkuaua or yorki/chiauahas mix were just ugly to me.

But they did tell people if you're going to get a designer dog, make sure it's from a reputable breeder with good parents screened for breed specific hereditary diseases. If anyone listens.

Tiffany; mom to:
Annabelle "the Diva"- GSD born 9/21/08
Duncan- Shep Mix adopted on 2/14/00 TDI
The kitty amigos: Simon, Alley and Mia
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-30-2009, 04:53 PM
Master Member

I haven't seen this episode but I am on another dog forum where there are some "designer dog" fans. They always mention this show as a reference and proof that designer dogs are breeds. Ugh.

Personally, I do not like the show period. We get alot of questions on the other dog forum about information they heard on the show which is bizarre. One was about recommending frequent bathing for a particular breed.
I swear they do their research on Wikipedia. They often have incorrect information on there.
The GSD episode says that the white GSD is new and the colors of a GSD are black, and black and tan.
They have also listed GSD as one of the top three biting breeds, I think number one. Golden retrievers were also in the top three. I have not been able to find their source.

They had little credibility with me before the designer dog episode and now have none.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-30-2009, 05:24 PM
Elite Member

Ya Dogs 101 is awful!! They used my friends Dals for their episode on the Dalmatian, Moxie & Cooper who are AWESOME Dals, they're family shows them and they live in the same town as me, members of the same Dal club, too.

Well, they filmed Cooper jumping around, and when they aired the show, they tinted the film red and added growls, snarls, and barks to make it seem like Cooper was being nasty while they talked about how Dalmatians are aggressive!!! They also told them to get the dogs to pull on the leashes while they where walking them, and then when it aired they used that footage to discuss how hard it is to train Dals.

They also said that 1 out of 3 Dals are deaf!!! That is totally wrong! Its about 8% of all Dals are completely deaf.

Kelly
Dalmatians:
FOREVER in my heart:
Sydney
CH Erin N Shamrock's S Hemisphere CD RN CGC
8/14/98-1/12/13

(1/3 UWP) U-CH Shamrock's Shippin Up To Boston RN CA NJ-N TT CGC "Shane" (4yrs)

"Ocean" Alabama craigslist dump (2yrs)
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-30-2009, 06:24 PM

I saw this episode this week and thought some of the dogs were ugly.
A lot of the features that the breeders had hoped to achieve, like making them better for allergy sufferers, haven't happened.
They did say it was best to get first generation of the mixed breeds, to help prevent hereditary problems, but I wonder how many people bother to do that.

Dusty, terrier mix,3 years old approx (Rescue dog)
Kerchak, GSD, born 25th Feb 2009
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-30-2009, 07:08 PM
Knighted Member

I love the show.

I was shocked that they did a show on these dogs. I cannot believe they are being accepted as breeds...but I guess all breeds started out as one or more doggies crossed.

I think it started innocently enough. Trying to solve problems to make humans more tolerant of dog problems (when these types of people should own stuffed animals).

Now it is just sicking!! These dogs are mutts, and the shelters are full of mixed breeds already. To purposely breed them is for $$$ alone, nothing else. Because when the crosses do not work to solve geneics issues, it should stop, not be represented as a geniue breed!!! And be on dogs 101!!!

Puggles are a huge problem..and the shelters are filling up with them. Like it said on the show, they not only still howl, they have 2 kinds of annoying barking. (Not that my precious Bella annoys me, )

Every time I go to Pet Smart I see someone walking around with this cute widdle ball of fluff...and it is some weeney, cheeney thing!

~Kelly
Shelby (Tabby cat, 14 yrs old)
Lady (Golden Retrive Spaniel mix, 10 yrs old)
Bella (Beagle 8 yrs old)
Shadow (GSD 4 yrs old)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page