How to protect Christmas tree from dog and cat - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-28-2009, 05:05 PM Thread Starter

How to protect Christmas tree from dog and cat

So last year my ever so naughty siamese baby decided to climb up inside the artificial tree. That leads to puppy messing with tree.

So this year they are both just over a year old. We dread the tree. Cat is fat and a big ole brat. Pup wants to sniff, lick, sample the kitty. Yes we are working on No Kitty right now.

So any ideas on protecting tree from doggy other than Leave it from the moment we put it up. We thought of gates but house has plan that does not allow good gating options. I am thinking of non-breakable balls for tree, last year we lost too many and all that glass was scary.

Is our only plan to work on Leave It??? Anyone have any tried and true ideas.

The only fault our friends have is that they don't live long enough.

Tank (10/24/08) WGSD
Sealy (9/24/08ish) rescue, Snowshoe Siamese

Lochsa (10/3/93-8/16/07) American GSD
Kiki (10/87-10/21/04 12:00am) small, all-over tortie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-28-2009, 06:27 PM
Knighted Member

Re: How to protect Christmas tree from dog and cat

It is as hard to keep any kitty or some GSD away from a tree as it is to keep a just walking skinperson.SOOO interesting to them just can't be trusted 100%.Please use decorations that are safe.
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-28-2009, 06:58 PM

For your dog - I put an X-Pen (or two depending on the size) around the tree and also train them to leave the tree alone and never leave them alone with the tree as why ask for problems? I really like using an X-Pen around the tree.

As for keeping the cat off the tree - let me know if you figure that one out!

Deidre

Home of Iron vom Waldestraum, my upcoming GSD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-28-2009, 07:00 PM

every year i can't get over how blessed i am. none of my pets (this includes a cat) ever bother my tree. i get all the curious sniffs and stares when i first bring it in and thats it.

i love love love my cat for being so un-cat-like.

so no, i have nothing to ad to this thread... just looking for an opportunity to brag

TILDEN: Male: Blk/Red LHGSD: DOB: 12/24/06 60lbs of Love
KEYSTONE: Male: Sable: DOB: 2/11/13 60lbs of Go!!!!!
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-28-2009, 08:52 PM
Crowned Member

For my cats and cats I've had in the past, I take a few oranges and slice an 'x' into them and place them around underneath the tree. A lot of cats hate the smell of orange or orange oil and they stay away.

For the dogs, I've never had dogs who wanted to mess with the tree but if I did I would use an X-pen around the tree.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jubal/Tesla (Beauceron) 3/14/14
Bianca HIC CGC TT (GSD) 4/24/04-10/23/12
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-28-2009, 11:43 PM
Crowned Member

Great photo op, kitty in the Christmas Tree.
My animals don't care about the tree after the first sniff. Karlo will be experiencing his first one, hopefully he won't decide "this is the place to lift my leg!"
We always cut a fresh tree, so it will be fragrant and more tempting.

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-29-2009, 12:08 AM
Crowned Member

I used to buy clear plastic carpet runners and place them around the tree prickly side up. The beasts do not like the feel of the pricklies on their feet.

We aslo have real trees and make sure to get one that is very dense, harder for cats to climb. I have never heard of the orang slice idea, one to try if I need to.

The cats and dogs don't really bother the tree too much. Nacho will every now and then.

Kathy

URO3,UCD Aleshanee Windridge "Kayos" CD,TDX,RE,CGC,HIC,TC
PTE,AG2,AN,URO3,UCD Xtra!Xtra! V TeMar "Havoc" CDX,GN,RE,CGC,HIC,TC,BH
UACH,URO1 Tidmores Rising Star Lydia "Mayhem" CD,BN,AX,OAJ,NF,RE,HT,TC,CGC,

Bridge
Lucky, Wolf, Max
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-29-2009, 10:39 AM

I have 3 cats. Oldest (7.5 yrs) has never bothered the tree. Evil Siamese (now 18 months) and little baby kitty (now 14 months) were horrible last year! Siamese peed on presents and tree skirt and chased baby kitty up in the tree. When all the presents were removed, I picked up more ornaments off the floor than the tree.

I think I'll try the orange idea. Between the 2 cats and now a puppy (10 weeks today) I'm not going to even bother decorating the bottom part of the tree!

Sadie's mom

DOB: 09/20/09
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-30-2009, 01:03 AM Thread Starter

I have so many pics of my first cat sleeping up in the tree, about three feet up. I also have a pic of my ds when he was about 3yrs with his legs sticking out from under the tree alongside our first buddys legs. It was really cute.

Last year new evil siamese kitty climbed up every chance she got. Then of course the pup would chase her round and round.

I thought of the fence but he is so huge he would either break it or slide it all around the room. Tree is in corner and is between sofa and a chair. I think I will try the orange and see how kitty reacts. If she is not around he will not bother the tree. Also, I am getting unbreakable orndaments for the lower section. I think I might get some car air fresheners and spritz some orange or citronella on them. Afraid a real orange might attract ants.

Camerafodder..... Brag away, hopefully I can soon join you.

I may also try a can with coins in it so if he does start sniffing the noise will bother him. Since I do not use the can with coins for anything else I am not worried about any issues with training or causing fear in him. For all I care I do want him to fear the tree. Maybe I can freak both him and the cat doing that. Course when we are not home..... she is free to roam. Hmmmm

The only fault our friends have is that they don't live long enough.

Tank (10/24/08) WGSD
Sealy (9/24/08ish) rescue, Snowshoe Siamese

Lochsa (10/3/93-8/16/07) American GSD
Kiki (10/87-10/21/04 12:00am) small, all-over tortie
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-30-2009, 12:47 PM
Crowned Member

The cats never climb the tree, they just like to lay under it...or hide under it now with Anna. She's learning "no tree" and we use "leave it". The biggest problem is she just seems to think she can go through it, not understanding that it's a solid tree. Goofy dog!

Tiffany; mom to:
Annabelle "the Diva"- GSD born 9/21/08
Duncan- Shep Mix adopted on 2/14/00 TDI
The kitty amigos: Simon, Alley and Mia
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page