Where to even start looking? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-28-2009, 11:46 AM Thread Starter

Where to even start looking?

So after a lot of talking and planning, my husband and I are beginning our search for another doggy addition to our home. So I when I sat down to start looking, I realized that I don't even know where to begin!

So here are my consideration:

Lily - she's our 2 year old GSD. She has some reactivity issues and skittishness. We have worked with a trainer and contiually work with her and I feel she is solidly at a place where I wouldn't worry about her passing on bad behaviors. We definitely feel a male would be a better fit with her. We also would lean towards a younger dog so we can keep the age gap between the two there.

Sophia - she's our 6 month old baby. And I know it sounds crazy to get a new addition with a young baby, but I have decided to put my career on hold and will not be working for the next 6 months to 1 year. Being able to be home and available all day is a strong motivator for adding now. For later on, my parents baby-sat my daughter and Lily when I worked or was tied up with something else.

Cats - we have two. One is good about teaching the dogs what is and is not accepted. The other is rather skittish and runs.

House - we have a nice home and a fenced in back yard. However hubby has decided that he wants to train Lily to stay off our bed as he can't take the hair in the bed anymore! But the dogs have an off leash area to play and a big enough house to accomodate them as well.

Energy level - I'd put us as medium. Lily gets a 1/2 hour to 1 hour walk every day, swimming 4-5 days a week, and lots of fetch and small "training" sessions throughout the day. We also go to parks and such for additional socializing and experieces on the weekends. No formal sports though. We do have a trainer that we used for Lily that has agility and lure coursing available. I am also in the process of creating some things in the back yard that I can train Lily on to increase her thinking.

I started by looking at the different lines of GSD's but just left more confused! I don't care particuarly about a certain look. My husband has his perferences but number one to us is termperment. I need a rock solid pup that comes to us free of issues. We unfortunately didn't do enough research with Lily and, looking back, even when we got her at an 8 week old puppy she was shy and skittish. I need a pup that won't add to it and that can acclimate into our home with the right training and socializing from us. I am 100% ready to put in the work - just need the right foundation to start from.

So now what?! LOL

I'd appreciate any advice! Thank you!

Kristin

GSD's:
Lily 10/31/07
Thor 10/27/15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Rambo 7/27/09 - 2/26/15
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

and the kitties, Oreo & Nikko
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-28-2009, 12:32 PM
Crowned Member

Re: Where to even start looking?

please consider rescue. there are some seriously fabulous dogs waiting for a home and someone to love and care for them in rescue!

mom to the cashman
the rescues...jeni-take-a-ride, and the c-monster
shangri la's seraphina blue (RIP 8/1/15)
hearthside's cinderfella (RIP 4/20/09)
shep von bellefontaine (RIP 6/9/10)
cricket (african grey RIP 7/13)
voodoo lily (dsh RIP 8/15)
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-28-2009, 01:10 PM
Elite Member

My plug for rescue is being able to determine temperament to find a good match for the house and pack. Sometimes with a pup, that's not so easy.

Either way, good luck.

Clover - GSD 9 yr old Rescue
R.I.P. Spats, Sophie, Emmie, Pooh Bear, Rogue, Max and Patton

Remember, if someone has a problem with you.........it is in fact their problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-29-2009, 10:13 AM Thread Starter

Rescue is definitely an option for us - but at this point we are open to both purchasing from a breeder or adopting from a rescue. I do not feel confident enough to go out and pick a dog from a rescue/shelter/breeder/etc. and would need help from someone with more experience in making sure that the new addition would be a good fit for our family. We already have a dog with reactive issues and while I am comfortable we have that under control, I do believe another dog with nerve issues would set her off easily.

We're not going to rush into anything until we are completely comfortable with our decision.

Thanks for the suggestions and I'd still appreciate some advice on how to narrow down choices for breeders in my area as well.

Thanks!

Kristin

GSD's:
Lily 10/31/07
Thor 10/27/15

Rambo 7/27/09 - 2/26/15

and the kitties, Oreo & Nikko
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-02-2009, 02:17 AM

My first thought was rescue. You can find places that will help you find the right dog and will work with you blending them into your current situation. I really don't think there is enough guarantee with a pup no matter how well a breeder knows thier dogs. I really think your situation needs a guarantee and I think a rescue can offer that. And it could be a young rescue, not necessarily a 3yr old. There are lots of young pups that can fit your needs. I say start there, if you find no hope then consider a brand new pup. Glad to see you at least care about your other pup so much, you will make a great second, well third time mom.

The only fault our friends have is that they don't live long enough.

Tank (10/24/08) WGSD
Sealy (9/24/08ish) rescue, Snowshoe Siamese

Lochsa (10/3/93-8/16/07) American GSD
Kiki (10/87-10/21/04 12:00am) small, all-over tortie
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-02-2009, 04:39 AM
Crowned Member

And with an adult, you'll already know there temperament.

Akbar 6 years
Isa 10 years
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-02-2009, 05:50 PM
Elite Member

Kristin, maybe ask moderators to move your topic into Choosing a breeder section under Breeding so more people would see your thread and add to it.

There is nothing wrong to look into rescue and research breeders at the same time. Since Lily will always be a project in progress I completely understand why you want an easy puppy as your second dog.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page