Cotton balls for sharp objects? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-27-2009, 11:25 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Cotton balls for sharp objects?

I was reading online if your dog eats something sharp(ie glass/bone fragments/nails etc) that you feed it 5 to 7 cotton balls soaked in half & half & your dog should be ok.
It sounds like good advice...but if my dog ate something that could rip up his insides & kill him, I think I would be going to the EVET.
Have any of you had any experiance with this?
Do you think its bad advice?

Kilo- GSD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-27-2009, 11:32 PM
Crowned Member

Re: Cotton balls for sharp objects?

I have heard this too. I think it's listed in my pet first aid book.
However when my previous dog got into cooked chicken bones my vet told me to feed her a bunch of white bread, to cushion the sharp edges.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jubal/Tesla (Beauceron) 3/14/14
Bianca HIC CGC TT (GSD) 4/24/04-10/23/12
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-27-2009, 11:33 PM
Crowned Member

what did he eat? If serious, without a doubt rush him to the e-vet asap.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-27-2009, 11:35 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: ChicagocanineI have heard this too. I think it's listed in my pet first aid book.
However when my previous dog got into cooked chicken bones my vet told me to feed her a bunch of white bread, to cushion the sharp edges.
Yah yah. I could see using bread for chicken bones but if my dog ate like...nails or pins or razors or something like that I would FREAK!
EVET ASAP!

Kilo- GSD
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-27-2009, 11:38 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: Lucy Dogwhat did he eat? If serious, without a doubt rush him to the e-vet asap.
Oh, hes eaten plenty of naughty things (not life threating!!!!!)
But dont worry hes ok...I was just wondering if anyone else heard of the cotton ball thing...........<3
Thanks tho!!!!!

ITS JUST A QUESTION DONT WORRY, my boy is OK!!!!!!

Kilo- GSD
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-27-2009, 11:39 PM
Moderator who has gone to the dogs

I would assume this is another in a series of hypothetical posts.

I would advise that ANYONE contact their vet to verify any information that they read, especially on a web board, instead of self diagnosing and finding out you did something wrong when it is too late to correct. Not saying this is good or not good advice but no one on here is a vet.

It definitely would not be a BAD thing to ask "what if" questions to your vet so you know ahead of time.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Lakota, Chimo, Tika, Rayne, Kanuck, Jethro and Keyzah

My Angels forever in my heart and watching over us:
Phoenix 9/07
Kaylee Cheyenne 5/09
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-27-2009, 11:41 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: Angel R
Yah yah. I could see using bread for chicken bones but if my dog ate like...nails or pins or razors or something like that I would FREAK!
EVET ASAP!
Yeah well, I was at the vet's office at the time I was told to do that.

Actually what happened was someone in the house had left a garbage bag where she could get at it. She was supposed to go in to the vet anyway for an x-ray (IIRC is was to check her spleen) so we decided to go ahead with that, but they could not get a good view of her spleen due to the stomach full of chicken bone pieces.
The only treatment they advised for the bones was the white bread.

Definitely if my dog ate something sharp I'd be at the vet ASAP. If I could not get to the vet immediately I would be on the phone with them and asking what I should do until we get to the clinic.

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-28-2009, 12:59 AM
Crowned Member

I don't get the white bread thing. The bread would deteriorate in the stomach and intestines. There's no way it would 'cushion' anything going through the dog.

The cotton balls I would have an easier time believing since they wouldn't deteriorate as much (if at all)? Soaking them in something just makes them easier to get the dog to swallow.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-28-2009, 02:51 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: Lauri & The GangI don't get the white bread thing. The bread would deteriorate in the stomach and intestines. There's no way it would 'cushion' anything going through the dog.
Well, she told me to ball it up first. I don't know if that would make a difference.

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-28-2009, 03:41 AM
Elite Member

Riley once ate a night light bulb and I knew it wasn't intact because there was broken glass on the floor along with the metal end part. I got this same information online and when I checked w/my vet she said she'd never heard of it but that it sounded like it might work, but the cotton balls might cause their own set of issues.

She suggested to instead use bread with the half & half, but she also suggested feeding him pumpkin. You can used canned pumpkin.

Deb • Riley & Nissa
Rainbow Bridge • Damien Katy Crocket Kayla Gypsy Toby

German Shepherd Dog Blog

• web sites for Rescues, Shelters and Pets
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page